melvins 12,000 watt listening party

Started by Rusty Shackleford, April 01, 2006, 12:22:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ManWithNoName

I cried when american idiot was compared to Tommy and Quadro.

Those no good fucking punks are miles and miles and miles and miles and miles from Townshend's musical genius.

FartLips

thankfully they cant erase the past, so all week everyone at my job has been forcefully exposed to sex pistols, germs, stooges, black flag, and other middle fingers.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

Haggardsue

Quote from: Stonergrunge on April 04, 2006, 11:27:10 PM
Quote from: Haggardsue on April 04, 2006, 10:21:51 AM
is there anything more depressing when talking about music to someone if they respond with "i like popular things" yes i like what everybody else likes.

Wow, that was like looking myself at the mirror. I honestly can say that you really have the idea of what it feels when you just listened to a great song (or a great album) and want to comment it with everybody and all you get are reactions like "ah?... what?... sorry I don't know them", and that happens to me almost always.

I shall be forced to take that as a compliment, but yeah i compelety get what your saying i have about 2 / 3 really good friends when it comes to music and we could rattle off bands for each other to listen to. Which means when I get to old age and a boring job surrounded by these pro commercial anti interesting musically retarded freaks it will really really really annoy me.

Haggardsue

Quote from: Dudbean on April 05, 2006, 08:34:33 PM
Quote from: glen on April 03, 2006, 08:03:36 AM
I keep my music to myself and suffer through the Skynard or whatever I gotta hear at social gatherings.

Same here. I usually just keep my mouth shut when the crap comes on. A bit of a shiver and a smirk, maybe, but in certain company there's really no point in bringing up what I consider to be good music.

Re: Skynyrd... Freebird may suck a nut, but I still say I Ain't The One (1st song on 1st album) has one of the best "classic rock" guitar solos I've ever heard. How Allen Collins could play a solo like that and then go "deedle deedle deedle deedle, etc." on Freebird is beyond me. Ed King had a pretty interesting style on their second album, come to think of it. His guitar tone reminded me of barbed wire, for some reason. Or was it Barb Wire? I'll have to think abou' tit.

yeah but the point of this debate (as far as i can see) is that we (us melvins fans are now a we aren't we cool, we should buy a country or something) can still like mainstream music (to some extent ie - nirvana, buckley etc...) but have the understanding that we don't categorise ourselves to just listening to one type of music or whatevers cool at the time. Which you'd have to say is quite grown up of us.