New Double Album: A Walk With Love and Death

Started by blewis, April 06, 2017, 11:22:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The only lens of objectivity I can put on about the "experimental" tracks is that aren't they supposed to be a soundtrack/score to a movie? If that's the case, I can understand and be less critical of it from a proper album standpoint.

some guy

"Death" is more consistent than their past couple of albums, i'll give it that. i don't like it anywhere near as much as Freak Puke (still the last great one they've put out to date) but it's also the best one since then. i really like "Sober-delic" and "What's Wrong with You?" and it's nice to see Euthanasia on a proper album.

"Love" is interesting but more a curiosity than a proper album. I would imagine it goes well with the supposed film that it's the soundtrack too but maybe the movie itself is even worse. can't really say much else about it after hearing it once (and i probably won't listen to it again until i actually pick up a copy of the album)
That's neither here Nora there

GrimReaper

The Northwest Film Forum in Seattle will show movies without the sound and have a band sit in to play a musical interpretation of the film.

I attended the THX138 screening and really enjoyed it. My wife fell asleep. Neither one of us had viewed the film proper so I bought a directors cut edition. One of the special audio features of the edition is a musical interpretation of the film with no dialog.

http://www.themelvins.net/8-melvins-news/56-melvins-w-cameron-jamie-films-in-the-netherlands

This is not new to the Melvins. Can't believe the Cameron Jamie shows were in the beginning of 2008, Jesus.

Can't wait to see the movie with Love playing.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: GrimReaper on July 09, 2017, 06:04:26 PM
The Northwest Film Forum in Seattle will show movies without the sound and have a band sit in to play a musical interpretation of the film.

I attended the THX138 screening and really enjoyed it. My wife fell asleep. Neither one of us had viewed the film proper so I bought a directors cut edition. One of the special audio features of the edition is a musical interpretation of the film with no dialog.

http://www.themelvins.net/8-melvins-news/56-melvins-w-cameron-jamie-films-in-the-netherlands

This is not new to the Melvins. Can't believe the Cameron Jamie shows were in the beginning of 2008, Jesus.

Can't wait to see the movie with Love playing.
The Cameron Jamie shows were unbelievably good.  Maybe the Melvins will tour and do something similar with the new soundtrack?
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

dead mike

Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

glen

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Pound4abrown

Something else I've forgotten to mention, I really like Steve's bass work on the Death disc.

immoraliste

Some thoughts about this one :

My primary mode of listening to music nowadays is while walking my dog. I've spun the album a number of times since Friday and I love it.

The more traditional release (not sure which is which since there seems to be an printing error, wtv) didn't sound much like I expected it too. It has a Stag and Bootlicker vibe to it which I thoroughly enjoy. I'll admit I expected a heavier album, but I still love it. Steve's dirty fingers are all over this one, he covers so much ground with his bass style that it opens the door for Buzz to play a more virtuoso or noodling style and rely less on crushing riffs. There's a song where Steve and Buzz go back and forth playing the same riff, there's kind of a interplay there which really tickles my fancy.

On the other hand, I fully expected not to like the film soundtrack, expecting to struggle through it once and never listen to it again. That's not what happened, by the time the first track off the soundtrack starts I'm locked in. I'm into it, I dig it, I definitely feel there's a meter and flow to it, like Buzz says and I feel it pairs nicely with the first album. I also feel, however, that I've matured as a listener over the years and am better equipped to listen to an album like this now than many years ago when I couldn't make much sense of albums like Prick and COD.

I also thought it was interesting how the film soundtrack comes after the more proper release rather than before like on COD. COD felt like a noise build up to a crushing rendition of Eye Flys. Whereas this one feels like a build up to a crushing payoff that never really comes. I'm probably putting way too much thought into this, though.

With regards to the criticism :

I get that people long for the earlier days of heavy melvins albums, but those days are gone. Go back and listen to the back catalogue. It's not gone, it's not erased. It still holds up and is still fresher than a lot of what is considered "heavy" music nowadays.

I don't, however, get how anyone can say this album is safe. The songs on the "proper" release aren't safe, they don't phone it in and they don't incorporate traditional song structures. I'm not sure what is being referred to as "safe"specifically.

To me the Melvins are a lot like Zappa. There many different eras, different bands, different styles, etc. There's stuff for everyone. Are their periods, bands or styles of these artists I prefer over others? sure, but I still enjoy all of it.

TL ; DR This new release is fantastic and the crybabies should go listen to their favourite melvins albums and just quit being a bunch of whiny bitches.

Topaz

I think "Death" is just OK. My favorite track is What's Wrong With You?
"Love" isn't for me I guess.

blacksanta

I've noticed that everyone considers Love the second disc but I think it's first based on the catalog numbers on the spines (Love is 1, Death is 2).
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.

DToxico

Quote from: immoraliste on July 10, 2017, 11:52:01 AM
I don't, however, get how anyone can say this album is safe. The songs on the "proper" release aren't safe, they don't phone it in and they don't incorporate traditional song structures. I'm not sure what is being referred to as "safe"specifically

I can't speak for anyone else, but when I say 'safe' I guess I just mean more or less sticking to the sound they've had for a while. I can't even really consider it a criticism though, because I do have the entire second disc. I bet you could mix the two together with the second disc's songs being like interludes, obviously wouldn't fit on one disc but it'd be a great Stag sort of vibe.

Agree with your whole post though, and think the Zappa comparison is pretty good.

amazonAMAZON

Here's where I'm at with this record: I can't stop listening to Death.

First response was perhaps underwhelmed. I think I was expecting something more doomy from the title, but maybe that's part of the trick. Some of my favorite parts so far are reminiscent of the Bootlicker.

I do experience some listening fatigue from the mix which is consistent with pretty much everything from Bride Screamed Murder onwards. I, too, would like to see the guys switch up something in the recording process. I really do miss the supreme mix and mastering of Stoner Witch. But that's a minor wish.

LOVE is going to get repeats. If I judge it against Prick, COD, Chicken Switch, POTRE or the experimental sides of Buzz/Dale/Joe it's already on the top half of that stack. I argue that it feels crafted, not "thrown together" as some suggested. Editing and sequencing alone are a daunting task and this has a very intimate feel. Who knows. I'm a gullible skeptic.

"Euthenasia" sounds better than ever. "What's Wrong With You?" is fun -- in terms of the Melvins digging faux British classic rock this runs circles around "In The Rain". The odd sound of a drum tuning up and down while being played towards the end of the record is my favorite Dale moment so far (or is that even what I'm hearing?) But in a lot of other parts I feel like Dale was told not to rock the boat. (I could have used some capsizing.)

There are Steven flourishes everywhere. Very happy with him on this release.

There appear to be coherent lyrics throughout. It almost seems thematic or perhaps sociopolitical.

Dumb question: is "Cardboa Negro" pronounced like "Turbo Negro" while implying a flimsy stand-in?

NOTE: I'm listening on spotify since my hard copy hasn't arrived yet so take any judgments about sound/mix with a grain of sphalt.

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: immoraliste on July 10, 2017, 11:52:01 AM

I get that people long for the earlier days of heavy melvins albums, but those days are gone. Go back and listen to the back catalogue. It's not gone, it's not erased. It still holds up and is still fresher than a lot of what is considered "heavy" music nowadays.

I don't, however, get how anyone can say this album is safe. The songs on the "proper" release aren't safe, they don't phone it in and they don't incorporate traditional song structures. I'm not sure what is being referred to as "safe"specifically.

Excellent points. On the older style/songs, just look at the current setlists. They're still playing a lot of pre-Atlantic material, and as brutally as ever. A lot of bands with 25+ yr career rarely touch their early material. Melvins revisit most of it.

Sober-delic is an awesome track, & easily the most catchy. I have a feeling this could stay in the setlist for years, much like Let It All Be was for a time. I also am thinking Sober-delic was originally from the Freak Puke sessions, or maybe I'm dead wrong. I remember a few Buzz interviews from '12 where he said they had something like 25+ songs in the can from those sessions. It definitely has that vibe, maybe with new drum tracks and new Steve bass added?. Could be others too, someone should ask Buzz.

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on July 07, 2017, 08:10:16 PM
Quote from: Tobias on July 07, 2017, 06:51:51 PM
Listening to the vinyl version now. The Love (pink vinyl) is actually Death and reverse. Am I missing something? I thought I was listening to Love even on the vinyl it says it's the Love album then Euthanasia came on. Is Live actually Death and Death actually Love?
Yep, other people are reporting this as well (Love=Death and Death=Love).

Interesting. At the Ipecac store it clearly states that the pink vinyl is Death. So maybe just the circle label on the vinyl is wrong, or they were simply misfiled in the sleeves at the plant? Check the insignia on the runout. Each side should have etched A, B, and C, D. I would think the Love disc being "first" would have A & B etched in.
I could care less about vinyl colors. I was sort of hoping for the option of black, especially if it knocks the price down a few bucks. Weird that with Crystal Fairy the pink color sold out real fast, and I had to settle with black. But then maybe the $38 price tag now is keeping random vinyl collectors away for awhile. Gonna order the current pink/violet set now, and should have it in a few days.

(the) Razor

I don't think that people long for the days of old Melvins or for them to release another Bullhead but there are elements from that era that are missed imo.

While it's heresy to mention it (sorry Stallion) I do find the drums are pretty normal, in the sense of a rock band, since a while now on their recent albums. The drums are no longer playing a centre stage role which was always a staple of this band. Although, I think they're doing it on purpose now to concentrate more on vocal lines. Its curious departure. That's my only obersvation with this album after soaking it in. Apart from that it's pretty different for them and I do like it. Not my favourite though!
Don't click this