Melvins vinyl box set questions

Started by Kolonel Kurtz Kobain, May 17, 2010, 09:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kolonel Kurtz Kobain

How much would you be willing to pay for a vinyl version of the CD box set?
How much markup would you allow to cost?
How much would 100 copies of the box set cost to produce?
I'll let you know later what it would be.
I'd rather be at Dodger Stadium...

Живојиновић

Paul McCartney is my favourite Beatle.

glen

Quote from: Yo quiero una mamada on May 17, 2010, 09:31:26 PM

How much would 100 copies of the box set cost to produce?

in vinyl?

lets see....    carry the 2...      double that, add 30.      and by my estimations you're looking at roughly $7000.     with of course a +/- of $4000.   all these numbers factor in exchange rates.

:?
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

jules

It would be worth it at whatever the cost. It would be a lot of hard work to produce 100 of them, presumably the printing would be done by hand, 200-300% mark-up minimum, $400 would be ok if there were individual, personalised hand-written letters from Mackie and Buzz inside. Pre-orders only would give them an idea of how many to produce, hmmmm, and one lucky winner would be invited for a cup of tea and a scone with everyone involved at a time and place of everybody's choosing.
I'll get my coat...

(the) Razor

Don't click this

jules

...y si kieres una mamada, komprate un Hoover.....

Kolonel Kurtz Kobain

Kolonel Kurtz Kobain

research the co$t of mastering, check out the cost of pressing and price of vinyl

jules

Idlehanz

Quote from: Yo quiero una mamada on May 18, 2010, 08:41:25 AM
research the co$t of mastering, check out the cost of pressing and price of vinyl
Hmmm...yea, something I've done before.  More than I'd want to spend. 

Живојиновић

mastering is $700 per each 12"
vinyl is $10 for each 12"

so, the 13 LPs in plain paper inner sleeves would be $220 for 100 box sets;  $175 for 200;  $160 for 300.

the deluxe jacket packaging, production, distribution, shipping, and retail markup is additional

Melvins Ltd. would have to sell many sets to make it a worthwhile proposition; they don't have that
many fans willing to pay two-thirds Large minimum for a boutique item.
Arena gods TOOL, on the other hand, might be able to pull it off...but those guys don't have the body of work to fill a dozen
LPs. U2 could.
Paul McCartney is my favourite Beatle.

>>>JZS<<<

I'm gonna guess $25,000 - $35,000 to produce 100, 13 LP (180 gram) with packaging.

So, as far as the retail price of that set...$450 - $650 each.

(the mastodon 9 lp box sells for around $250 with shipping, but the production prices might be
   slightly lower, per LP, when you make 1,000 verses 100. )

Am I close ?   

My speculations don't include advertising, marketing, shipping, etc.

Should I start saving now ?    :lol:  Are you taking pre-orders ?   :lol:

glen

Quote from: Живојиновић on May 18, 2010, 11:12:41 AM
mastering is $700 per each 12"
vinyl is $10 for each 12"

so, the 13 LPs in plain paper inner sleeves would be $220 for 100 box sets;  $175 for 200;  $160 for 300.

the deluxe jacket packaging, production, distribution, shipping, and retail markup is additional

Melvins Ltd. would have to sell many sets to make it a worthwhile proposition; they don't have that
many fans willing to pay two-thirds Large minimum for a boutique item.
Arena gods TOOL, on the other hand, might be able to pull it off...but those guys don't have the body of work to fill a dozen
LPs. U2 could.

everyone who wants to buy one raise your hand. we'll divide that by the total cost estimated at $25,000.
*does the quick math*
:|
I see your point.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.

LebRon Maiden

The Melvins should give themelvins.net a throwaway song for one side of a single, plus a few minutes of interviews for the other side.  Themelvins.net could front the cost, the melvins would get half the run.

A Vinyl Box set is ridiculous.  If you are going to put that much money into something, put it into songs that haven't been released.

glen

FIGHT!!  FIGHT!!  FIGHT!!

sorry. I got a little overstimulated.