Melvins vinyl box set questions

Started by Kolonel Kurtz Kobain, May 17, 2010, 09:31:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Idlehanz

Quote from: LebRon Maiden on May 18, 2010, 12:00:35 PM
The Melvins should give themelvins.net a throwaway song for one side of a single, plus a few minutes of interviews for the other side.  

This idea has been thrown their way actually.  Well, the basic's of it anyway.  I'm waiting to hear back.

Kolonel Kurtz Kobain

Quote from: glen on May 18, 2010, 11:59:47 AM
Quote from: Живојиновић on May 18, 2010, 11:12:41 AM
mastering is $700 per each 12"
vinyl is $10 for each 12"

so, the 13 LPs in plain paper inner sleeves would be $220 for 100 box sets;  $175 for 200;  $160 for 300.

the deluxe jacket packaging, production, distribution, shipping, and retail markup is additional

Melvins Ltd. would have to sell many sets to make it a worthwhile proposition; they don't have that
many fans willing to pay two-thirds Large minimum for a boutique item.
Arena gods TOOL, on the other hand, might be able to pull it off...but those guys don't have the body of work to fill a dozen
LPs. U2 could.

everyone who wants to buy one raise your hand. we'll divide that by the total cost estimated at $25,000.
*does the quick math*
:|
I see your point.

This project has been in the works for well over a year. The Numbers were run long ago and vinyl was seriously considered. The data have just been rechecked.......50K up front will get this ball rolling in earnest; investors would be justly rewarded.
No one is against this coming to fruition, but it is cost-prohibitive at present market figures.
I'd rather be at Dodger Stadium...

brian

at least half the ipecac albums have been mastered for vinyl already (trilogy, pigs of the roman empire, mangled demos, nude with boots, a senile animal) this idea is way too ambitious to actually come to fruition though.

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: brian on May 20, 2010, 11:58:51 AM

at least half the ipecac albums have been mastered for vinyl already (trilogy, pigs of the roman empire, mangled demos, nude with boots, a senile animal) this idea is way too ambitious to actually come to fruition though.

Mastodon put out a 9 LP set.......Maybe they could just press the albums that
they haven't pressed already and make a cool case/box for them all to go in.

I wonder if Boner is gonna do a box set whenever that stuff comes out ?

Kolonel Kurtz Kobain

Quote from: brian on May 20, 2010, 11:58:51 AM

Nude with Boots is the only one available. Alternative Tentacles and Hydrahead won't be handing them over if they still even exist.
There is the dilemma of 10" and single-sided 12"....... that won't work. HAT was 7".
Let's see a show of hands for those willing to pay a bloated price for substandard-sounding media in a bigger box.
Ask any masterer what he thinks about cutting and the high and low end of the spectrum available on vinyl.
Our pals of Mastodon are on a major major label with money to burn and absolutely nothing to lose. The publicity alone for Mastodon could be their reasoning. Relapse are just hired hands if not wholly or partially owned by Warner.
Boner ain't gonna happen.
If a thousand sets are pre-ordered at $500 per then it will happen.
Buzz knows what he is doing.
This I can assure you 100%.
I'd rather be at Dodger Stadium...

>>>JZS<<<

jules

Quote from: Israeli Gears on May 20, 2010, 11:20:49 PM

OK, I'll start the ball rolling:

1. Me
2.  ...................
3.  ...................
4.  ...................
5.  ...................

>>>JZS<<<

Quote from: jules on May 21, 2010, 02:52:12 AM
Quote from: Israeli Gears on May 20, 2010, 11:20:49 PM

OK, I'll start the ball rolling:

1. Me

2. me

glen

(my wife will keep me for this but...)   me

(start working on a bullshit story for me immediately)
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

bUTTHOLEmAN

Instead of a box set of albums already out  :-s , why not pay the melvins to supply themelvins.net with the makings of a single, exclusive to themelvins.net?
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

jules

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on May 21, 2010, 10:50:19 AM
Instead of a box set of albums already out  :-s , why not pay the melvins to supply themelvins.net with the makings of a single, exclusive to themelvins.net?
That's a great idea, too. Count me in. It would certainly be cheaper. I've often thought about them doing a gig for the people on themelvins.net, too, but I guess the logistics of getting everyone there would be too difficult with the U.S. being so darn big. It would work nicely over here; nobody's really further away from the centre of the UK than, say, 6 or 7 hours, it could be a weekend of camping (with tents, I mean, not necesarily acting overtly gay), with an evening of live Melvins music and us getting to know one another, or fighting one another or something. A Melvins competition (like a pub quiz), themelvins.net members jamming on the alternate stage (a p.a.and instruments having already been set up), a Melvins-themed cake-making competition, a competition for us to correctly identify each other, I could go on.
In any case I'd be in favour of anything novel or unique Melvins-related and I'd be happy to contribute with setting anything up if needs be.

>>>JZS<<<

EGO the Living Planet

I would absolutely LOVE to have one but it's probably financially unfeasible.

Why do it in such a big chunk?  Several smaller sets would be just as cool and getting one or two at a lesser price would be within the range of more buyers.

...or even better, how about just a straightforward issue of all of the albums on vinyl? The special limited/collector  stuff is cool and all but the album with all the artwork on black vinyl (180gr is nice)  with a digital download coupon (or include the CD) would be great. Just about all the indie labels big and small do that for just about all their artists so it's not like it's not financially possible. It's the format I buy the majority of my music on and it's consistently strong selling format (if not the best selling format) at the record store I work at.  I know the market's there. The customers of the store I work at and I aren't THAT weird. People even happily pay a premium for it.

If MELVINS put only put their stuff out on CD I will ALWAYS buy it, but they're one of maybe three or four bands I could say that about.

Idlehanz

why not pay the melvins to supply themelvins.net with the makings of a single, exclusive to themelvins.net?
Again, this idea, in a little different terms has been thrown their way.  Nothing's come of it yet.  We can hope   [-o&lt;

Idlehanz

Quote from: jules on May 21, 2010, 12:20:43 PM
That's a great idea, too. Count me in. It would certainly be cheaper. I've often thought about them doing a gig for the people on themelvins.net, too, but I guess the logistics of getting everyone there would be too difficult with the U.S. being so darn big. It would work nicely over here; nobody's really further away from the centre of the UK than, say, 6 or 7 hours, it could be a weekend of camping (with tents, I mean, not necesarily acting overtly gay), with an evening of live Melvins music and us getting to know one another, or fighting one another or something. A Melvins competition (like a pub quiz), themelvins.net members jamming on the alternate stage (a p.a.and instruments having already been set up), a Melvins-themed cake-making competition, a competition for us to correctly identify each other, I could go on.
In any case I'd be in favour of anything novel or unique Melvins-related and I'd be happy to contribute with setting anything up if needs be.

Man...........when you dream, you dream big, don't ya?   :P