A Walk With Love and Death

Started by Afterbirthmilkshake, April 24, 2017, 06:35:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amazonAMAZON

I don't think these are two separate projects packages together strictly because one is more commercially viable than the other. I think they go together. It's almost like Zaireeka. I listen to DEATH knowing LOVE is coming and vice versa.

jules

Supposedly 150 of these double sets were issued on gold vinyl and sold during the 2017 tour. How come you never see any for sale? 150 is a lot to never see any.

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: jules on December 20, 2020, 10:50:07 AM
Supposedly 150 of these double sets were issued on gold vinyl and sold during the 2017 tour. How come you never see any for sale? 150 is a lot to never see any.
Good point. It's strange. I've seen one, it wasn't for sale.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

jules

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on December 20, 2020, 11:25:43 AM
Quote from: jules on December 20, 2020, 10:50:07 AM
Good point. It's strange. I've seen one, it wasn't for sale.
I've got one, it was from San Diego I think. But where are all the others?

black stallion

been listening to the Death album after a long time. i think it's very good.. too bad for the not so great production, especially the guitar . Steven bass work on this is totally great, you can hear his influence a lot
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Hands First Flower

What a fabulous room. Are all these your guitars?

))))((((

Not that it matters too much either way, but it still frustrates me with this release that i never know which order both albums are supposed to be listened to in. The title of the album itself perhaps suggests it is LOVE first, followed by DEATH. But the bandcamp page organizes the record in the opposite. But then perhaps they only did it on there like that since DEATH is more typical of regular Melvins songs and would appeal to casual listeners and those checking the band out for the first time. Also maybe a key point that reinforces the DEATH then LOVE order is that the packaging of the record firmly highlights that one side is a "soundtrack" so not really a "proper" release but more something tacked onto a normal Melvins record. But then in another twist i noticed that on the CD's disks themselves, LOVE has printed on it "IPC195-1" and DEATH is "IPC195-2". So perhaps it really is LOVE then DEATH! God who knows!!!!

kingdiamond

The bass on this is amazing. I don't know if Buzz wrote the baselines or just pulled out songs that he knew Steve could do something cool with. I wouldn't expect these slow grooves from a guy known for power pop. Very cool and underrated.

black stallion

Quote from: kingdiamond on March 17, 2021, 12:44:57 PM
The bass on this is amazing. I don't know if Buzz wrote the baselines or just pulled out songs that he knew Steve could do something cool with. I wouldn't expect these slow grooves from a guy known for power pop. Very cool and underrated.
totally agree. and nope, Buzz didn't write bass lines, it's all about Mr Steven

coodies

Of all their vinyl post-2012, A Walk With Love And Death is the one I bid for but was only willing to spend $30 for it. The vinyl colors are pink and the other one is purple.   :lol:

the bloat

I think LOVE is a continuation of Prick. If you compare the two, there are a lot of soundbites mixed in with dissonant guitars and samples and even some actual songs mixed in. I think in 20 years, we'll be looking back at this one with greater appreciation. The Melvins fans on this board seem to always be calling for the days of old and weird Melvins, especially during the Steven era when they seem to have settled into a heavier, straightforward, classic rock groove. It's a challenging listen front to back, but there is some great stuff going on!

amazonAMAZON

I like how you think, Bloat. LOVE is gloriously weird, and I do think both records are really leaning in to a TG/Psychic TV kind of approach.

I really hope 2022 brings us the next trio/Steven studio album of new material.

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on December 05, 2021, 03:44:53 AM
I really hope 2022 brings us the next trio/Steven studio album of new material.
Im sure it will. It's funny and surprising in a way that so far this album is essentially the only Steven record with new material we have had! Both Basses Loaded and PAT were bit-part releases with him whilst Five Legged Dog is obviously redo's of songs.

black stallion

the Death album is very underrated imo. songwriting by Buzz is  particular, not the classic banging heavy songs , but a 70's psychedelic vibe. I think this album could have been written during the Mark D era

blacksanta

Black Heath is at the top of my live wishlist.
Also melvins is gay cuz some of their songs are just noise, i tell you this so you all don't buy albums and find out only one two songs is good on them.