11/24/2005 London, UK Camden Electric Ballroom

Started by Battlecat, February 24, 2005, 06:12:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Battlecat

Just got back, excellent gig. Can't remember everything they played, so I won't do a full setlist. Kevin was back on bass, and David Yow guested on the last 2 songs.

They started with Let It All Be, then Dale said something about "Your Rolling Stones are beaten by our Beatles" and they launched into a very sludgy cover of I Wanna Hold Your Hand, which segued into Queen after the 1st chorus. It gets a bit fuzzy after that. I remember they played Black Stooges, Ballad of Dwight Fry, possibly Snake Appeal and Youth of America (though I'm not sure about those last 2), Pigs of The Roman Empire, The Bit, Hooch, Revolve and Lovely Butterflies. That's in some kinda rough but inexact order. Lots of other songs I couldn't place or remember were played.

After Lovely Butterflies, Buzzo spoke to the crowd for a while. Talked a lot about Slint & Louisville, and told an anecdote about Dale nearly getting them beaten up by Squirrel Bait. Then he introduced special guest David Yow. Yow came on wearing a tiny girls' T-shirt saying "Space Pussy" and a pair of black cycling shorts with blue furry polka dots. The first song with him sounded like a cover, but I'm not sure. Pretty punky sounding, only lyrics I could make out were "number one" in the chorus. Then they finished with Night goat, with Yow and Buzzo sharing vocals. Between the 2 songs Yow started eating a cigarette packet.

There was no encore. They played for about 1hr15mins in total.

Overall impression of the gig: it started pretty well, but the first half flagged a bit. Short on memorably songs and nearly ruined by about 5 16yr meatheads who kept trying to start a moshpit. From POTRE, things really picked up and the 2nd half was absolutely brilliant. When Yow came on things went mental, and the closing version of Night Goat was the highlight of the evening.

Erm..what else. No merchandise (or at least no Melvins merch) on sale. I snapped a couple of poor quality pics with my crappy camera phone which I'll post when I work out how. Off to see them again at ATP tomorrow...

Battlecat

Ok, here are the pictures. Sorry about the poor quality. Click Thumbs for full-size images.

Buzzo:

Kevin:

Yow & Buzzo:

Hope that works. Never tried uploading photos before.

DanPotato

They definately didn't play Youth of America and I'm pretty sure there was no Snake Appeal, although there was one song they played that I just can't remember - something from HAT or maggot I think.
Heres the songs they played as I remember it, in rough order:
Let it All Be, I Wanna hold Your Hand, Queen, Tipping the Lion, Black Stooges, It's Shoved, Oven, Ballad of Dwight Fry, Antioxidote, Pigs of the Roman Empire, amazon, AMAZON, Hooch, Revolve, The Bit, Lovely Butterflies....then Yow came on and they played Chrome and Night Goat.

Buzz called Muhammed Ali a ''human hamburger''. Dale stole the show. Yow showed up and made my life.

Andy

David fucking Yow!!!!!! Jebus Christ!

And Kevin is back!!!!!

Aw man I wish I had been there. Class pics though cheers!
For your health!

Duke of Prunes

Wow... sounds like an amazing set. I hope to god someone taped it.

Brooklyns Finest PoonTang

Sooooooooo glad to hear that kevin is back! :cheers:
Quote from: cottoncrown on January 06, 2009, 07:17:08 PM
this is serious business here guys.  i don't want a tour of anyones chocolate factory please

GrimReaper

Excellent! How was Kevin during the set?

Kevin has aged 10 years in the 5 he's been with the Melvins.

Kessel

if anyone gets a DVD of this, i will give you my right arm, well nearly

i suppose i should have gone godamnit
For life is not happy.

dr.ghira

Beto Brasil

who taped this?
anyone?
i offer 2 dvds for this... uhuhuhuh ...

good pics man !!  :D
Trading music since 1999 :

Update : http://www.themelvins.net/beto/DVD.htm

DubEMC

The Fool

take care,
The Fool

klump

please, anyone whos got sound and/or visual of this concert , PM me!!!

___-----_____------_____

Quote from: Battlecat"Your Rolling Stones are beaten by our Beatles"

wtf does that mean?
Beauty is a Rare Thing - Ornette Coleman

crazyslap

I couldnt afford to go to that show!!! Really gutted. Why does, Battlecat and nearly everyone else on this forum dislike the 16yr old metalheads?? Cos your old?