does anything creep you out in any melvins tunes?

Started by CaptainPungent, December 18, 2006, 07:30:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spunkmonkey

not Melvins related either, but I remember buying Celtic Frost "To Mega Therion" when it came out (must have been 12-13 at the time) because the rumor was it had satanic messages on it that had driven some kids insane.  Thankfully, I never went insane, and double-thankfully that it pointed me down the path of that kind of music.

CaptainPungent

Quote from: spunkmonkey on December 20, 2006, 05:24:21 PM
not Melvins related either, but I remember buying Celtic Frost "To Mega Therion" when it came out (must have been 12-13 at the time) because the rumor was it had satanic messages on it that had driven some kids insane.  Thankfully, I never went insane, and double-thankfully that it pointed me down the path of that kind of music.
well what about melvins?
which song is creepy or sounds kinda creepy to you?

didlisquat

This is strange and creepy, but 'Your Blessened' gives me the most spine tingling
Not so much scary, as maybe - de ja ju/doppleganger type ish.
Your Blessened has the break down/guitar swirl where Buzz speak about "mans only distant relative"
that part always makes me think of the song 'Beautiful Ones' by the one and only Prince
How creepy is that?
actually i love both songs
'Beautiful Ones' has been a guilty pleasure of mine since about 1985. I guess that is creepy in itself, but 'Your Blessened' adds to the horror........the horror
when man's only distant relative
has descended on his own
you will know

Chief Ten Beers

meanclown

there is definitely something creepy about that weird little voice on "skin horse"...it's kinda nightmarish, in my humble..

seas of luck

Goggles is creepy.  I let a friend hear it once and now he loves the Melvins.

CaptainPungent

Quote from: seas of luck on January 08, 2007, 04:28:59 PM
Goggles is creepy.  I let a friend hear it once and now he loves the Melvins.
it's very expressionistic.

Salty Green

it doesn't qualify as  "creepy" but the first time i heard Manky i became engrossed in the first two minutes of quiet on the track and almost fell out of my chair when the guitar came in, the track as a whole has an almost sinister quality to it for me.

Erikkerik

Am I relly the first to mention they all must be slaughtered?
I have brought the great ball of crystal;
            Who can lift it?
Can you enter the great acorn of light?
But the beauty is not the madness
Tho' my errors and wrecks lie about me.
And I am not a demigod,
I cannot make it cohere.

Vcavallo

Quote from: Erikkerik on January 15, 2007, 01:57:15 PM
Am I relly the first to mention they all must be slaughtered?

air breather deep in the arms of morpheus is creepy in form

the guy who turned me on to the melvins always thought that the end of night goat was very unsettling
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo

Vcavallo

Quote from: Dudbean on January 15, 2007, 08:29:20 PM
Quote from: Vcavallo on January 15, 2007, 04:58:57 PM
the guy who turned me on to the melvins always thought that the end of night goat was very unsettling

The guy who just quoted your post feels the same way. I think it's one of the more Satanic -- and I mean that in a good way -- sounds the Melvins have ever "put to wax".  That sound that creeps in at around 2:05 and then gets louder at 2:15 before getting really mean-sounding later...I've always thought of it as the sound that horses make in hell. Sort of like if Ghost Rider rode a Clydesdale instead of a hog (bad joke). Every time I hear it I think of a black, wet horse with whip marks across its sides and flames flicking out of its eyes, straining to get that sound out.    Ok, maybe I just think of horses in hell, but a guy can embellish.  :twisted:

haha!  the ghostrider analogy is great, actually.  i feel the same way - horses or some other pack of animals...
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo