May 16, 2018 @ The Velvet Underground, Toronto, ON, CANADA

Started by MisterBear, May 16, 2018, 10:05:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MisterBear

Found this and am hoping it's legit and that someone here is capable of capturing it and sharing it with us. I will be in attendance and won't be able to get the job done. 

https://youtu.be/BTRJLp5Q3hk

PepsiMike

It's not legit. It's a scam. Don't waste your time. You see these videos pop up on YouTube all the time with new concerts.

MisterBear

Quote from: PepsiMike on May 16, 2018, 10:39:36 AM
It's not legit. It's a scam. Don't waste your time. You see these videos pop up on YouTube all the time with new concerts.

OK. Good to know for future reference. I have a few hours left to decide if I will bring my DPAs to get an audio recording. 

Dumpster D

I'd love to hear a review how it was if anyone made it, The Toronto Montreal dates were added later between other tour dates that ping pong between states and provinces and I missed the Toronto show by a day. The usual venues must have been booked up at the time the original tour dates were posted here, the Velvet underground is not the usual venue so I figure last minute changes were arranged with the bookings.

Missing this show, words cannot describe how I feel as a person wearing a Melvins tattoo on their soul.  :cry:

bigjim

Quote from: Dumpster D on May 17, 2018, 04:33:59 PM
I'd love to hear a review how it was if anyone made it, The Toronto Montreal dates were added later between other tour dates that ping pong between states and provinces and I missed the Toronto show by a day. The usual venues must have been booked up at the time the original tour dates were posted here, the Velvet underground is not the usual venue so I figure last minute changes were arranged with the bookings.

Missing this show, words cannot describe how I feel as a person wearing a Melvins tattoo on their soul.  :cry:

Not to rub it in but Indian Handcrafts destroyed, I'm sad you missed this one

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: bigjim on May 18, 2018, 12:49:56 PM

Not to rub it in but Indian Handcrafts destroyed, I'm sad you missed this one

Not to rub it out but Indian Handcrafts destroyed my patience, I'm sad I saw that one ...
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

(the) flutter nuts

This show was really really good!

We got there 15 min after doors opened. Show was sold out. There was a decent line trying to get tix at the box office. My buddy Mike didn't have a ticket and was hoping to get one from the box. When they opened the box they said they had 7 tix availabe, he was the eighth person in line. He did end up buying one from someone outside that had an extra for $30 (face value) so that was awesome.
I have never been to this venue before and it was tiny! The stage was knee high, but had plenty of room for the band to move around.
I dig Indian Handcrafts and they put on a good set. They played a few new tunes that were great. The only released it on cassette and i forgot to pick one up there.

Melvins were on fire! This 4pc band is great, the two basses are fantastic. Pinkus did a solid low end while Steven did lots of great high note harmony.
I was right up front in front of Pinkus but slightly close to Buzz.
The crowd was tight and really into it. Then Honey Bucket started and everyone went nuts. Which was fine except  the fact that the stage was knee high and i was up front, i thought my knees were gonna break backwards. After/during that song a security guy was on point at the right side of the stage watching the crowd close. He let people have fun but didn't put up with bullshit.
The Bit stared and during the intro i'm guessing a fight broke out. I saw some guy punch another and a bunch of shoving and yelling. At that point the security guy came over and said some words to them (this security is guy big) and Buzz went to the mic and asked it they were done, "I'm not your parents" "If you're not done, we're gonna leave" a mix of Buzz saying that and the size of the security guy got things settled pretty quick.

The setlist is a great mix and had a great flow. Sesame Street Meat is a great opener. Don't forget to breath is amazing live! The album version is great but live Buzz get the guitar up front and distorted and it gave the song a lot more punch. All the covers were tight. Sway was well done.
it was small and hot in there but the band a several fans that reached the front of the stage so i was comfortable.

It was awesome to run into Mount up front during the show, he's such a great dude. Met up Greasy and Big Jilm after the show, it's always nice chatting with those guys as thy arn't on the board much anymore.

It was a bummer that Dumpster D was not there. The dude rules and i feel bad for not messaging him leading up to the show. had i he would have know about it.

The one thing that really did suck was not having ANACONDA there  :(  I really miss Brad and going to a Melvins show in Toronto and not having him there was shitty. His energy was amazing.

Typical not really any merch. They had a Crystal Fairy letterpress cd with a regular vinyl but it was $175 so i didn't even look at it. They had a few shirts. And the Pessimisser which i really want but it was $380 cdn. I was mainly looking forward to talking with Brian Walsby. It's funny as i have met him so many times he  now knows me. It's was nice that there wasen't really anyone at the merch table so Brian and I had a good chat. Mainly about the SCTV skit Half-Wits. I bought Manchild 8 and an amazing Dale Crover/Tim Hortons picture.
All in all it was a fucking great night. Except only sleeping 2hrs and having to go into work.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTDsJd1l7Aw
I got the shits real bad.

bUTTHOLEmAN

if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

Mount Ambulance

I'd love to hear a review how it was if anyone made it

A review you say? Ok ... yeah man it was a great show and a shame you missed it ... never been to that venue before, it sucked. Long and narrow with limited room right up front and some weird rooms or "wings" off the main audience area. Might not be bad for a smaller attendance but for a packed crowd pretty lame. As Melvins hit we were 'bout half way back on floor and could see not much but the back of all the tall peoples heads ... didn't last long as we made our way right up front but it was a tight fit indeed. As for the show itself ... Indian Handcrafts ... never heard 'em before and they were pretty yawn imo ... nothing shitty but just kinda there ... good bass sound and some cool bass lines ... kinda AmRep flavoured stuff I guess ... but ultimately pretty forgettable ... Melvins were great as always and the double bass attack laid a great and thick foundation and feel for the set ... made all the heavy ... heavier. Pinkus and Steve were laying it down thick all night, not just holding down the fort but rolling, flowing, and steering the ship ... going all Geddy and Jack Bruce on our asses ... good stuff. Really like Pinkus in the fold, probably my fave bassist since Kev. I think his style both on and off the bass, all fingers and southern grizzly is a great fit. As for Steve ... a great player, but he just seems too buoyant and goofy ... and sometimes a bit excessive with the noodlely noodles and weirdo effects/tones. Together tho they foiled each other nicely, playing off, with, and against each other ... they were given a lot of room to breathe and it gave a good vibe to that thing the Melvins do. I always dug that double drum vibe they pulled with BB, but I dig this Double Mint Bass even better. Buzz was sounding great ... real good tone, super thick and grimy and it mixed really well with that thick as bass. And his vocals were tits. I think Buzz often gets over looked in the vocal department, he's a great vocalist to be sure ... Dale was of course Dale and simply ruling the world. Tho I thought the setlist itself was kinda flat ... some great gems and nice newer stuff but it just seemed kinda I donno, flat. Too much fast and mid tempo feel ... I think this line up could real kill with more slower moody stuff and weirdo vibes a la Honky or Bootlicker type era feel ... standouts were 'Don't Forget To Breathe', 'At A Crawl', 'Eye Flys', 'The Bit', 'Anaconda' ... when they whipped that out it made me think of 'Conda ... miss ya brother. 'Let It All Be' was particularly awesome ... as a song it was a staple of the sets for so long over the years I thought it was pretty played out ... but man, they nailed that one with this line up! It was grimier and punchier than ever ... it really killed! The covers (Stones/Bowie) were pretty miss I thought ... just kinda hamfisted and truncated takes on the originals that seemed to lack any of the subtleties that make those originals so awesome. As for the Surfers cover ... I get that they're gonna hit 'Florida' but having seen it a few times live and now studio it woulda been cool to see them surf a different butthole ... Too Parter, Concubine, Sea Ferring ... this line up coulda totally wrung those classics out! Yeah it was a great show all things considered and I hope this line up blossoms a bit more both live and in the studio ... it'd be a shame if it was just a quick take ... i'd like them to explore the possibilities like they did with the double drums.

Ran into Flutter ... always dig the way we cross paths at a Melvins show ... never a hook up pre show or anything ... just always front row and then notice each other ... big high five and smiles as we are revelling in that awesomeness that is a Melvins show ... very of the moment and fitting I think ... tho it'd be nice to do some pre show prep with each other too ... one day I'm sure ... shot the shit for a few after the show and he intrude me to Greasy Statement and your (Dumpster's) name came up ... yeah too bad you missed it DD ... you woulda dug it.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Dumpster D

Thanks for the Reviews.

Was looking forward to meeting you guys, getting fueled up...and picking up a copy of Manchild would have been nice, I'd have asked Brian to sign too and grabbed a poster.

I'm really upset I missed the show.

I miss Brad too.