Melvins albums starting with a long song

Started by ))))((((, April 25, 2024, 02:31:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

In a recent interview Buzz said he liked what he had done with Bad Mood Rising and Tarantula Heart in starting both records with a long track. He said he plans to do more of this! I was quite surprised he would devote himself to such a rigid approach given he seems to like to change things up a lot. I'm also not sure what i think about this development.

It is surprising that it has taken 40 years for the band to suddenly start writing long opening tracks. I like what they did with 'Mister Dog...' but i'm not convinced they could keep doing what they did with 'Pain Equals Funny'. I don't think it is very effective to have a long track that doesn't have it's own distinct thing. Something that feels more like a series of different tracks sown together than something more coherent and solid. If the band do continue this trend it seems the songs would fit more into this category than a proper song that just happens to be longer.

Also i'm not sure what to think that from now on Melvins albums may all be within that 5-6 tracks per record form. Who knows, the logical conclusion would seem to be that at some point a new Melvins album will consist or two 19 minute tracks! One song on each side of vinyl.

John Schuller

Eye Flys opens Gluey Porch Treatments (over 6 minutes, longest song on the record)
Boris opens Bullhead (over 8 minutes, longest song on the record)
Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog opens Lysol (over 18 minutes, longest song on the record - one might say it is two songs, I would disagree)
They All Must Be Slaughtered opens Honky (over 8 minutes)

Melvins have always done long songs - look at Charmicharmicat, Shevil, Lividity, Roll Another One, The Anti-Vermin Seed, Foaming, The Fool the Meddling Idiot, Pigs of the Roman Empire

I love long songs.

I think Buzz has been digging into his electric Miles Davis albums and understands the power of keeping ones attention for a LONG period of time.

Hell, look at Collossus of Destiny!

amazonAMAZON

I took note of that in the interviews, too. It's interesting. But I also think it would be dope for the band to do a record of nineteen two-minute songs.

the bloat

QuoteBut I also think it would be dope for the band to do a record of nineteen two-minute songs.

Yes! Great idea! Or maybe a big batch of 19 second songs =D>