Melvins song of the week.

Started by Mad Arab, March 03, 2012, 08:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mad Arab

The Melvins 'Song of the Week is another track from the excellent Stag

Melvins - Skin Horse

Skin Horse. Who can deny the pleasing weirdness of a chipmunk effected voice Buzz Osborne in the second half of this song? Not to mention the catchy pop Melvins flavor in the beginning.

I predict many 'song of the week' selections will come from Stag

Mount Ambulance

Oh yeah Skin Horse is all bees' knees and rocked cotton socks! The helium vocals, the shimmering 2nd half, those creeped out helium vocals, the trippy interlude, that massive monster as a first half ... those freaking DRUMS!!!

While I love the second half to bits ... the first half gets shortshifted it seems ... its' total monster ... those DRUMS!!! Always thought the quartet line up could absolutlely destroy that first half ... though when I finally heard 'em do it ... eh, they didn't really nail it.

Too bad ...
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

JUDY

Quote from: Jackie Treehorn on July 22, 2012, 06:11:57 PM

Melvins - Skin Horse

Makes me feel like this:   :) :love:  \:D/ :lol: :( :( :(

Not too many songs have the ability to get such a mixed range of emotions out of me. The second half might sound funny, or even a little creepy - but I hear sadness and vulnerability. I'm not sure what the song is about, or if that was Buzzo's intentions....just saying it's how it personally makes me feel.

My favorite tune on the album, and one of their best songs to date. Stag is just incredible.

(Metal)Cow, I like what you had to say about (the song)Cow. It's a total meltdown!
Have they ever performed that one as a four piece?

homeless_dad

Quote from: JUDY on July 22, 2012, 10:53:26 PM

Melvins - Skin Horse

Endless Residency.  Jan 2011.  Bullhead album played in its entirety.
Pretty flippin' rad.
Is Ian back yet??

JUDY

Quote from: homeless_dad on July 23, 2012, 01:02:17 AM

Melvins - Skin Horse

Pretty flippin' rad.
Oh, of course. How'd I forget that.
You were at that show, right????? 

homeless_dad

Quote from: JUDY on July 23, 2012, 01:29:07 AM
Quote from: homeless_dad on July 23, 2012, 01:02:17 AM

Melvins - Skin Horse

Pretty flippin' rad.
Oh, of course. How'd I forget that.
You were at that show, right?????
8)
Is Ian back yet??

(((O)))

Quote from: homeless_dad on July 23, 2012, 01:36:30 AM
8)
I think you should be renamed Cool_dad  :D

I've always loved the line in Skin Horse that goes "But i'm old and i'm getting older, knew i would" That sounds a bit lame in text i guess but in the context of the song it's great.

bruce

Cool song.
Years ago when i was doing my traineeship in sound and lights, I did my lighting demonstration to this song.
Really cool song to program and run a lightshow too. Alot of room to be creative with movements and colours.

homeless_dad

Quote from: )))((( on July 23, 2012, 05:16:39 AM

I've always loved the line in Skin Horse that goes "But i'm old and i'm getting older, knew i would" That sounds a bit lame in text i guess but in the context of the song it's great.
You would like the one semi-introspective line of all melvins songs. :D

I've always liked that line too. 

Why the Chipmunk voice?  It's not that I dislike it, but what was Buzz' thought process like when writing skin horse...  :-k "Good song but it's lacking something.  Hmm,  :idea: got it!  This song needs chipmunk vocals"  =D> \:D/.
Is Ian back yet??

jonE5

Quote from: homeless_dad on July 23, 2012, 11:36:32 AM
Quote from: )))((( on July 23, 2012, 05:16:39 AM

You would like the one semi-introspective line of all melvins songs. :D

I've always liked that line too. 

Why the Chipmunk voice?  It's not that I dislike it, but what was Buzz' thought process like when writing skin horse...  :-k "Good song but it's lacking something.  Hmm,  :idea: got it!  This song needs chipmunk vocals"  =D> \:D/.

Skin Horse is one of my all time favorites. Total Classic!.. I actually prefer it live. Buzz really emphasizes the second half vocals.. And who can deny the drums of the first half?.. They should play it with Trevor on the "Lite" tour

Metalhead Cow

Melvins - Skin Horse

Makes me feel like this:   :) :love:  \:D/ :lol: :( :( :(

Not too many songs have the ability to get such a mixed range of emotions out of me. The second half might sound funny, or even a little creepy - but I hear sadness and vulnerability. I'm not sure what the song is about, or if that was Buzzo's intentions....just saying it's how it personally makes me feel.

My favorite tune on the album, and one of their best songs to date. Stag is just incredible.

(Metal)Cow, I like what you had to say about (the song)Cow. It's a total meltdown!

Skin Horse is an incredible song-it's always been one of my favorites. I completely agree with your comment about the wide range of emotions-In fact the way you described it is pretty much exactly how I feel. It starts "cute" and rocking and then the intensity builds up with some killer drumming.  The second half is initially brilliantly hilarious but I always do get a touch of sadness, perhaps regret.

And I'm glad you liked my comments about Cow. I saw them play it July 2011 in Boston, during their Bullhead set. It was killer!

Metalhead Cow

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on July 22, 2012, 07:09:12 PM
Always thought the quartet line up could absolutlely destroy that first half ... though when I finally heard 'em do it ... eh, they didn't really nail it.

Too bad ...

Yeah, they shortened the first half unfortunately, but at least they kept the second half completely intact.

Illusionator

I think what I love about Skin Horse is what I love about the band. They sound brilliant but aren't precious or unprepared to piss about. It's one of my fave Melvs tracks.

Dumpster D

I vote for some new material on this Thread here..

Im gonna go with;

Alternate version of The bit.

Mad Arab

Quote from: Dumpster D on August 26, 2012, 01:39:15 AM
I vote for some new material on this Thread here..

Im gonna go with;

Alternate version of The bit.

Yeah, it has fell by the wayside, I will get back into it shortly.