The Mindset That The Melvins Did A Lot Of Great Stuff Before 1993,

Started by meezer, August 12, 2014, 10:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

But since then,it's all downhill. That's what I hear, with my rabbit ears.
This has always confounded me.
I've grown to love, like, or accept lots of Melvins material from before Houdini,
but I keep reading stuff that people post about how the Melvins
Need to fire Big Biz and rehire Joe Preston.
Or they were much better on Eggnog (yes, Hank Rollins, Nutmeg!).
Or that Gluey Porch Treatments is as good as they'll ever get.

Then there's Bullhead. That's a whole other chapter.

Ad nauseam.........

So, am I crazy?
Is it okay to think that Houdini-forward is the better half of the catalogue?
Is it alright if my top five list contains Freak Puke, Nude With Boots,
The Maggot, Stag and Houdini (at this time)?
Am I not a real Melvins fan?
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Captain CoryCory

If that makes you crazy I'd have to be batshit insane since I think there's Melvins albums before and after 1993 that I'd consider "the best". I'd be putting Tres Cabrones, Everybody Loves Sausages and Senile Animal in just as high regard as Gluey Porch Treatments, Lysol and Bullhead

Buckwh3at

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on August 12, 2014, 11:47:49 AM
If that makes you crazy I'd have to be batshit insane since I think there's Melvins albums before and after 1993 that I'd consider "the best". I'd be putting Tres Cabrones, Everybody Loves Sausages and Senile Animal in just as high regard as Gluey Porch Treatments, Lysol and Bullhead

Let's not get crazy.   :P

homeless_dad

Beloved here,

As is usually the case with text, (it being uncoupled with inflection, emotion, etc.) my comments were most likely taken out of context.  My remarks about those songs being crap was pure jest (skin horse and the fool are 2 of my fav's.  Undoubtedly great songs.), save colossus of destiny which could be considered by some to be total crap, hence the D'oh! Emoticon.

I thought the sarcasm was apparent.  Maybe it was and the Meez has zero understanding of sarcasm and should be publicly humiliated for such offence.

Beloved out.
Is Ian back yet??

Buzzinthebox

"This is America. I don't want a tomato picked by a Mexican. I want it picked by an American, then sliced by a Guatemalan and served by a Venezuelan in a spa where a Chilean gives me a Brazilian." - Stephen Colbert

Satchel Paige

Dude pre 93 sounds like the garbage me and my old band would just improvize on
and don't hide it homeless dad those songs are crap!
I'd say '94 afterword is the best melvins
golden era is 96-99

GiveMe45

It's all about context and nostalgia (when you got into them).  I love everything they've done but the first albums that pop into my head when someone says MELVINS are Ozma, Bullhead and then Houdini as it was the first new full-length of theirs that I remember making sure I picked up the day it came out.

I treat about every 4-5 years as a new chapter in my Melvins experience and even though there are periods that stick out a little more than others, I wouldn't trade any of it.

homeless_dad

Quote from: Satchel Paige on August 12, 2014, 02:38:58 PM
golden era is 96-99
I've nothing to hide.
I couldn't disagree with you more, dude.

Sorry, Satchel.  You're way on your own.
Is Ian back yet??

deatheats

As you can tell Meez there is no singular era that appeals to the fans.  Just depends on who you talk to.

One of the reasons I love the Melvins is they keep evolving and don't put out the same records over and over.
They could have easily rested on their laurels and put out 18 Bullhead like records. 

In fact, if pressed, it would be hard to think of two records they've done that sound the most similar...maybe Bride Screamed Murder and Nude with Boots?

homeless_dad

Is Ian back yet??

(PAUL)

Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

homeless_dad

Is Ian back yet??

DC

There are Melvins albums I listen to less than others, and one I don't listen to at all, but I wouldn't say I think any particular era is any better or worse than the others.

meezer

Sorry HD. I get your humor, just fine. I guess I was just rollin' with it.
I was just pointing out a trend that I had noticed.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Satchel Paige

Quote from: homeless_dad on August 12, 2014, 06:45:20 PM
Quote from: Satchel Paige on August 12, 2014, 02:38:58 PM
golden era is 96-99
I've nothing to hide.
I couldn't disagree with you more, dude.

Sorry, Satchel.  You're way on your own.

seems like your sarcasmic mechanism is broken...wah wah wah