The Mindset That The Melvins Did A Lot Of Great Stuff Before 1993,

Started by meezer, August 12, 2014, 10:06:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rollingrocker92

All albums are great, it's really a rare case when a band doesn't get shitty, and The Melvins are one of those band, always trying something new instead of keeping the same formula like many other bands. It's a shame that trying something new every time is not good for selling, babyrockers always want the same crap.

LuckMach3

Quote from: drumfreak:) on September 05, 2015, 09:21:28 AM
QuoteDr Mule >>>>>>>>>>>>>> Going Blind, Set Me Straight, Sky Pup, Joan of Arc, Teet, Copache, Pearl Bomb, Spread Eagle Beagle
BLASPHEMY

How so?  I always felt like half of Houdini was hastily put together and interviews seem to confirm that.  It still turned out great but Dr Mule has a lot more going on in it than any of the songs I just mentioned. 
Buttholeman is a power tripping emotional abuser.  He censors my posts and says I need mental health help.  He's a jerk.  Please don't listen to him.  People DO love and respect your opinions.  I'm one of those people.  I love you. PM me if you're stressed.

Start with the following link if you feel sad: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3ZQPezglQ

drumfreak:)

Okay...maybe it´s just because I dont like Tres Cabrones that much but I love Houdini.
For me this is one (besides Gluey, Stag and H.A.T) of their albums that not just has really good songs on it but also is produced just really great.
Has two bands with ridicolous names.

ZILLA

I like all their stuff but sometimes I want to listen to listen to something with the awesome harmonies that Big Bz's brought to the table. Other times I'll want the straight sludge. That is one of my favorite aspects of Melvins, they have not painted themselves in a corner creatively, they can do anything that they want Beat-Boxing Patton singing about toys, an hour of feedback, switching back to the OG lineup, nothing seems off the table. Where as Megadeth for example (who I do like) has their style and after eleventeen albums if they did something drastically different fans would be in a frenzy. Doing what they want 100% of the time IMHO is so much more punk rock than spending lots of time on a pink mohawk and spikey shoeses and noses and sparkly toeses.
########################################################################################################

LuckMach3

Quote from: ZILLA on September 07, 2015, 01:35:42 AM
Where as Megadeth for example (who I do like) has their style and after eleventeen albums if they did something drastically different fans would be in a frenzy.

Megadeth did experiment for a bit but it sounded like Bon Jovi and was awful.   :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BX3OtSS5teU
Buttholeman is a power tripping emotional abuser.  He censors my posts and says I need mental health help.  He's a jerk.  Please don't listen to him.  People DO love and respect your opinions.  I'm one of those people.  I love you. PM me if you're stressed.

Start with the following link if you feel sad: 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3O3ZQPezglQ

meezer

OMG!  :shock: it does!  :lol:
"Good quality". That's totally subjective.  :facepalm:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

goldennuggetrecordings

it all depends on who you talk to and how long they've liked the melvins. I think everything they make is a bit of an aqquired taste an that's why their earlier stuff is most popular. it's been around longest and The experimentation is harder to recognize at first.

honestly the only melvins release I really can't get into is chicken switch. it's a cool idea but it's not for me. prick is prick obviously but aside from those two I think they all are their own masterpiece once they sink in. the bb albums don't bother me though I find a senile animal kinda boring. vast filthy prison is probably my favorite song off that one. and hold it in I still haven't really warmed up to yet. I like it sometimes and other times it bores me.

but idk I feel like I outgrow the melvins just as often as I let newer releases sink in if that makes sense. their vast catalog is the main thing that's kept me here all this time. if they had stopped at bullhead I would've been over them a long time ago. those albums are awesome for get me wrong but I can only listen to 50 songs so many times. but the fact that they've got more music than all the other bands I like combined (except for Beatles and beach boys) I find myself not bothering to listen to much else.

for me their production quality usually determines what I listen to depending on mood.

like a lot of times id rather listen to freak puke and bride screamed murder and hat just because those are the best sounding to me.

what id really like is if they rerecorded 10 songs like when they put gluey porch treatments on electroretard. I really learned to appreciate that song the most when I could actually hear it really well.

idk that's just me

Satchel Paige

meezer

Addendum:
I like most of this stuff better than I did a year ago.
I just think that the production on Gluey is atrocious.
If I had listened to it for 28 years, I might be used to how weird it is.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

homeless_dad

Quote from: ZILLA on September 07, 2015, 01:35:42 AM
Doing what they want 100% of the time IMHO is so much more punk rock than spending lots of time on a pink mohawk.
Yep.
The most punk rock thing they ever did was going from lightning fast punk (mangled demos) to Sabbath paced murk, pissing off the "punks" in the process.
Is Ian back yet??

(the) Razor

Bit late to this but it's not really Melvins that change. The bassists are the ones that change Melvins. So the question that should be asked is really not which era is the best Melvins, but which is the best Melvin's bassist.

Even more confusing is that the answer to that particular question is that there is no best Melvins bassist. They are all good. So in order to get the correct answer we need the correct question and I can confidently conclude that the correct question is actually this question; which Melvins bassist do you like the best?
Don't click this

meezer

Quote from: (the) Razor on September 08, 2015, 05:54:54 AM
which Melvins bassist do you like the best?
Been asked a million times. I ask a new unrelated question and you tell me it's irrelevant, fine.
But, to entertain your argument;
Mark D played on Prick, so you put in Stoner Witch and expect an album that sounds like Prick.
Hmmm.... that didn't quite work. OK, put in Stag. Sounds like Stoner Witch, so you put in Honky.... Sounds nothing like the previous two albums. Theory is dead.  :P

(the) Razor

You didn't ask an irrelevant question at all! Melvin's never made the same record twice as you correctly put it yes, but one should group the Melvin's eras by bassists rather than time. Way off tipic but i was poking fun as when a poster talks about melvins and their past it is always about bassists. That is all. Of course being a post it gets misinterpreted.

Dont go too literal with their sound meezer, The trilogy sound nothing alike but it is the same set and to make it more obvious if you cant hear how radically mark d changed their sound in 94 forever listen to Mark D's solo records too! Skyfull of witches and Empire Sands fits alongside Honky, Stag and Stoner Witch easily.

Prick is not by Melvin's. A different band snivlem. :)
Don't click this

meezer

goldennuggetrecordings

on the subject of bassist, all they're bassist are good... but Trevor Dunn is beyond good. he's better at bass than anybody I've ever heard playing that type of music. Trevor is so good he allows buzz to do literally anything and pull it off. IMHO Trevor Dunn should be THE bass player and the rest are stand ins when he's not available. but that won happen.

all in all, I'm really glad I've gotten to see jared, Trevor, jd, and dale play bass. hopefully someday I'll get to see rutmanis play too!

to me rutmanis and Trevor are the two that added a new layer of experiment to the melvins which wouldn't be tree without them.

anyone CAN play like mark or Lori or even jared (though Jared's definitely got an edge) but only Kevin and do Kevin and only Trevor can do Trevor and both have taken the melvins to brand new places never before reached