Sub Pop book

Started by the_consumer, January 08, 2015, 04:52:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the_consumer

Pretty glowing review of Gluey Porch Treatments in the new Sub Pop anthology book.

That said, there's also an extensive band index BUT FOR SOME REASON THE MELVINS ARE EXCLUDED.

Does anyone have any idea why????????

Captain Howdy

As far as I know, they were never on Sub Pop.

John Schuller

Melvins never were on Sub Pop.

One of the entries in the Sub Pop column mentions the Melvins breaking up. (Or maybe it was another article in the Rocket from back then?).

That would have been when Buzz moved to SF, Dale joined Ted Ed Fred and Matt went on to play in Mudhoney. Of course Melvins would get back together in SF with Lori on bass and Lukin is still pissed!

deatheats

There was an interview with Bruce Pavitt (sub pop co-founder) where he was asked:

'Were there any bands in particular that you guys wanted that you didn't get to sign?'

BP: "Sure, we were trying to get a single out by the Melvins at one time and that kind of fell through. So not everybody we wanted to work with came through."

(PAUL)

That single was Wit Yo Heart Not Yo Hands. There's still hope for Mike & the Melvins though, right?  :lol:
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

#2 Pencil

Quote from: (PAUL) on January 08, 2015, 07:11:51 PM
That single was Wit Yo Heart Not Yo Hands. There's still hope for Mike & the Melvins though, right?  :lol:

The exact same thing I was going to put while I read this thread. I get to the last, and it's already said. So, what he said. Every word.

I think it does say on the inlay that it was to be a Sub Pop release, but that I would have to check. Or I just read it somewhere else.
I heard their periods attract bears

meezer

I think people just wish there had been. The Melvins attitude towards Sub Pop seems to be
"Thanks for NOTHING!".
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Captain Howdy

I wish they had been, I would've discovered them a lot sooner. We listened to just about anything Sub Pop put out back in the day.

DAYSTAR

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/jan/22/sub-pop-bruce-pavitt-revisits-80s-greatest-bands

You described the Melvins first record as 'weak and thin and lame', which doesn't sound terribly like the Melvins.

There were some references in my book to the Melvins being the heaviest band in the world, and I think that was an adequate description. I just think that record didn't do them justice. I don't think that Buzz ever forgave me for trashing his first record.

DAYSTAR

^^Is he talking about 6 Songs or GPT or one of the compilation tracks that preceded them??

musefreek

Quote from: Captain Howdy on January 08, 2015, 05:21:36 PM

The book isn't about bands on Sub Pop. The book is an anthology of the Sub Pop fanzines and music columns written by Bruce Pavitt in the Rocket.

I'd be keen to know though if Bruce Pavitt and Jonathan Poneman ever considered signing the Melvins.

(PAUL)

Quote from: DAYSTAR on January 24, 2015, 07:21:02 PM
^^Is he talking about 6 Songs or GPT or one of the compilation tracks that preceded them??

I think he's talking about 6 Songs. I remember there was mention of it in the Gluey reissue liner notes, which made me think it was around the time they recorded Gluey but IDK.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

GiveMe45

Quote from: musefreek on January 26, 2015, 12:55:29 PM
Quote from: Captain Howdy on January 08, 2015, 05:21:36 PM

The book isn't about bands on Sub Pop. The book is an anthology of the Sub Pop fanzines and music columns written by Bruce Pavitt in the Rocket.

I'd be keen to know though if Bruce Pavitt and Jonathan Poneman ever considered signing the Melvins.
Damn, I'll have to check it out.  I was a religious reader of The Rocket as a teen until they closed down.

camaroballa22

from sept. 93

Its just the front cover, I wish i had the whole issue,

[attachment deleted by admin]
"Sweet Melinda, the peasants call her the goddess of gloom.
She speaks good English and she invites you up into her room."

Idlehanz

Quote from: camaroballa22 on January 29, 2015, 08:37:11 PM
from sept. 93

Its just the front cover, I wish i had the whole issue,

I used to have about 10 of this issue.  No clue where they are now.