Boner Records Re-releases Ozma and Bullhead

Started by bUTTHOLEmAN, February 18, 2018, 06:29:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Schuller

Quote from: DLaurel on June 07, 2018, 03:47:43 PM
This Boner reissue sucks....again. I've really had it with them. What's the coolest thing about vinyl? To me clearly the size of the cover artwork. And what do they do? They make the acutal art smaller (why on Earth would you do that????), put an ugly frame around it, and as a last straw pair it with another release, which I already have in its original form (Ozma). Now a second chance to make it right - and they fuck it up again. Before ordering, I just had a quick look on Discogs and the Bullhead reissue seemed to look fine. Unfrotunately, they have uploaded the original artwork, not the, as they proudly(?) call it, updated art. When my LP arrived, I wanted to throw it right out of the window. They made the letters bigger and the art smaller (again, WHY???), gave it a duller shade of blue than the original (or my bootleg, which I wanted to replace), and to top it off, there is a pink smudge on the front cover (I asked my dealer, and the other copy he has, has the same issue). How can you botch so many things at a time? Was it a wager or something? Beats me.

Third Man did it better, but not perfect either. What's cool about physical releases? The credits in the booklet/on the sleeve. So why did they remove the credits from the Stag reissue??? Makes no sense. And it's not really cool towards all the people who were metioned there.

Do the Melvins deserve these shitty reissues? I don't think so.

I'm not a fan of the way the albums were packaged together. Even less of a fan of the shitty pixelated images in the gatefolds.

But I do think for the single issues of Bullhead, Ozma, Houdini, Stoner Witch and Stag they have changed the artwork slightly to differentiate from the original releases?

Chief Ten Beers

These details of the stand-alone Boner reissues probably don't concern the Melvins one bit. Buzz would probably say - if you don't like it, buy our $60 AmRep letterpress version at a show, or else pay $300 for an original pressing on ebay. :lol:

I don't have a major problem with the K-Tel versions, or the 3rdMan's. I'd give them both an 8/10.

PepsiMike

Does anyone have pictures of the pixelated pictures from the boner release?

jules

These are the latest gatefolds Bullhead and Ozma:

Garnz

Quote from: jules on June 08, 2018, 05:05:45 AM
These are the latest gatefolds Bullhead and Ozma:

Thanks for the Photos! Looks worth to buy :-)

DLaurel

Quote from: sadcorps on June 07, 2018, 04:24:54 PM

But I do think for the single issues of Bullhead, Ozma, Houdini, Stoner Witch and Stag they have changed the artwork slightly to differentiate from the original releases?
First of all, they come from two different labels. But I don't really see a pattern there. The cover artwork was changed only for Bullhead, as far as I can tell. And I think it really sucks:

Damn, I love this fruit basket. And they make it smaller! And all the colours are less vibrant.
And to make things worse, there is this smudge I mentioned:

I don't know, either they don't have quality control, or they don't care. What I do know is that if ever want to sell it like this (which I actually do, because I don't like this reissue) and won't mention this ahead, the buyer will probably see this and demand a 50% refund. I don't want to seem too anal, but...hell, aren't most record collectors?

PepsiMike

Sorry, but you're being too anal. Just return the record and get the original.

John Schuller

The artwork is different on the Third Man records as well. Same with Ozma.

It looks like the images in the gatefolds are much better on these. Might be time to trade up.

And yeah, if you want an original, they have a bunch on Discogs all of the time.

DeeSonyaChin

18 dollar record and you are worried about resale.  :lol:

Dumpster D

These records are clearly for people who have been bitching about overpriced Limited Vinyls, and you're still going to find something else to gripe about.

On what planet is that ok?

How does the Record actually SOUND? dare I ask a rhetorical question.

))))((((

Quote from: DLaurel on June 09, 2018, 01:28:38 PM
Damn, I love this fruit basket. And they make it smaller! And all the colours are less vibrant.
I completely disagree. I think the new cover is a vast improvement over the original. Much more coherence and a clearer design than the previous, horribly garish artwork.

Fureon Nectarmoon

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 10, 2018, 02:58:36 AM
Quote from: DLaurel on June 09, 2018, 01:28:38 PM
I completely disagree. I think the new cover is a vast improvement over the original. Much more coherence and a clearer design than the previous, horribly garish artwork.
Well the original is supposed to be kitschy. I remember that they found that image on a tablecloth or something like that.

Personally, I didn't even notice they made the fruit basket smaller.
I'm sort of against that too, but it still works with the new design.
Even if the basket is smaller it just kinda fits.
Definitely doesn't look botched and castrated like the black-bordered edition did.
I still want to buy it.

The only problem with Ozma is that they didn't put the lyrics in the gatefold.
But it's not a deal breaker either.

Most importantly, the sound has been improved  :)
Before that, I've always thought Ozma and Bullhead were two albums that really needed a remaster.

vince furnier

you guys (and gal?  :-k ) just can't see the salad of a thousand delights for the fruit basket.  [-X
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

Buttcakefred

The original boner reissues, despite not having a very pleasing presentation packaging wise were very well pressed, flat and dead quiet. Those third man reissues were really pieces of shit in comparison.

DLaurel

Quote from: PepsiMike on June 09, 2018, 01:38:03 PM
Sorry, but you're being too anal. Just return the record and get the original.
I can't return it, because I unwrapped it (yes, should have had a closer look first). I'm keeping the bootleg (which I believed to be the original when I bought, but it sounds really good).
Quote from: sadcorps on June 09, 2018, 05:27:09 PM
The artwork is different on the Third Man records as well. Same with Ozma.
The changes are so cosmetic, I wouldn't have noticed. Unless of course you mean the expansion to gatefolds. Which apparently they fucked up too by not including the cat photo in Ozma, which is just about the coolest Melvins pic ever. Way to re-release...

Quote from: DeeSonyaChin on June 09, 2018, 06:27:32 PM
18 dollar record and you are worried about resale.  :lol:
Actually it cost me more, I'm based in Europe. It's just kind of annoying, I already have a whole bunch of records lying around that no one wants to buy even at bargain prices.
Quote from: Dumpster D on June 09, 2018, 09:17:00 PM
These records are clearly for people who have been bitching about overpriced Limited Vinyls,
Exactly. It was a long-awaited reissue. The first time around they fucked it up big time, and the second time around they still fucked it up. On what planet is it not okay to be annoyed? I don't know how it sounds, by the way, I had no reason to put it on. Besides, if I have an album on my computer, I mostly listen to MP3s nowadays and buy records mainly for my tactile and visual pleasure.

Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on June 10, 2018, 07:58:05 AM
Well the original is supposed to be kitschy.
Exactly. Of course it's a matter of taste, but I love it and I love this shade of blue.