Colossus of Destiny

Started by Anonymous, July 25, 2003, 10:53:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Anonymous

I am wondering if this album is worth purchasing. It is quite the expensive piece of plastic around here. Many people also say it is terrible and that it's a joke.  I know it's one of Buzz's favourites and I am a big fan of Adam Jones. It sounds quite awesome to me. Can you please state your opinion on the cd and whether or not I should purchase it?

Anonymous

it's controlled noise. i like it. i hated it the first time i heard it and i returned it. a year later i bought it and i loved it. it's not for everyone and certainly isn't a joke.

noctrun

it's great, a little overpriced for a eye flies single if you ask me, well if you have to import it to europe as I had to, but it's still great
Mark T.

GrimReaper

Buzz planned this extra long intro to Fly-Eyes to be played live and recorded. It was a one time, good or not, live release. After it was done Buzz christened the work "Colossus of Destiny", and planned to release it with the Triology recordings.

Imagine the crowd reponse to a show like that. Unfortunately, like on "Jacksonville", from the Singles 1-12, the crowd's response cannot be heard. In the Discography section of this site there is a review by someone who attended the show. It says people where on the ground holding their heads in agony. I would have loved to be there.

The intro is about 58 minute long. The sound quality is good. The recording of Fly-Eyes is not the Melvins best. The CD is set up with two tracks. The second track has no music, it's there only so you can't skip ahead. Due to this trickery with the tracking some are led to believe Buzz is fucking with them.

I paid over $17.00 dollars for it at an independant record store. If I had picked it up for $10.00 at a concert I wouldn't feel at all slighted. But for $17.00, when I first heard it I wished I had spent my hard earned money on something else.  The liner to the CD has a rubber duck and an artichoke in the fold out. You can enjoy looking at it one or two times. Same as the music, once or twice through and you're done.

I am glad I own it though. It's good to listen to when I drive on extended road trips.

P.S. Don't try to turn anyone on to the Melvins with this release.

huber

it's an interesting listen with headphones, people can ramble about how much of a trip it is on some sort of drug.. if you read some reviews on what sort of album it is you can easily see whether it's a style you're into. it's another part of what the melvins do so it's worth picking up.

mantra

I think its a very good album.

CausesUnknown

I like the COD as well. However, alot of people don't get it, so its not for everybody.
I think its really neat tho.

Beto Brasil

Quote from: AnonymousI am wondering if this album is worth purchasing. It is quite the expensive piece of plastic around here. Many people also say it is terrible and that it's a joke.  I know it's one of Buzz's favourites and I am a big fan of Adam Jones. It sounds quite awesome to me. Can you please state your opinion on the cd and whether or not I should purchase it?

I don't like that album, it is quite bad, just noises and in the end a good music, EYES FLY, if it didn't go that, would not say that is an album of Melvins
Trading music since 1999 :

Update : http://www.themelvins.net/beto/DVD.htm

Beto Brasil

oh,,,,and i forgot,in Brasil is very expansive 25U$.

Dr. Gonzo

Thanks for your replies folks, I will look around untill I can find it for less than 21 fucking dollars.

mantra

Yep, this album is NOT for everyone.

Beto Brasil

it is not for everybody, very expansive and hard of hearing, just noises.

mobmob

Quote from: CausesUnknownI like the COD as well. However, alot of people don't get it, so its not for everybody.
I think its really neat tho.
okay, COD, thats a hard one... but come on causesunknown there really
isn't something "to get"... i play guitar and i'm a total effectpedal-geek and
i have studio experiences aswell ... it's really not so hard to create such
noise and cod isn't what i would call "sophiscated noise". however i like it -
but it is DEFINITIVELY NOT better than any other melvins release. i like the
atmosphere that is bound to COD but then again... honky is way more
atmospherical and ominous in my opinion.

so yeah i bought it, i listen to it, i like it, but there is one thing i REALLY
hate about this album... little kids who pretend to "love it" just to feel more
"elite" ... but yeah who cares about that - if you don't like noise don't buy it!

Beto Brasil

huber

Quote from: Beto BrasilI hate COD too!!

you hate COD? i won't send you that SPK album then.. i thought you liked all that noise.. :?
is this album a joke? is it worth buying? all subjective. now buy it!