Maximum Rocknroll Green Tape Records

Started by jules, February 04, 2020, 12:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jules

#8 of 1000 with an an interesting story. This copy was from the Maximum Rock N Roll collection, which means that the edges have green tape to deter visitors from stealing records. Every record in their collection has this. This record was purged from their collection by Tim Yohannan who decided that the Melvins were not a punk band. It was given to Timojen from Vacuum Distribution who then sold it to (a gent on Discogs) who then sold it to me.

From a great interview with Tim Yo and Jen Angel from MRR:

Todd: On every piece of vinyl in the music library, all four edges of the record jackets are secured with thick, green tape. Why?
Tim: Purely arbitrary. I went to Mexico in the summer of 1966 and there was this really great band that I hung out with in Mexico City that summer, this R&B band, and the main guy in the band, Javier Batiz, put tape on the edges of his records. He had this really cool R&B collection. It looked really cool and I said I was going to do that and at that point I had forty records or something. Had I known, I never would have started.
Todd: Is it hard finding green tape?
Tim: Well, the green tape company went out of business and panic struck. But due to the wonders of capitalism, another company filled the gap.
Todd: Any discrepancies in the tapes?
Tim: Yes, there are actually shading and texture differences.
Jen: But there are good things like now if you see a record with green tape on it you know where it came from.

(the) flutter nuts

I got the shits real bad.

Dumpster D

People are Just gonna start putting green tape on their albums now.  #-o

johnnyg

Quote from: Dumpster D on February 05, 2020, 12:03:39 PM
People are Just gonna start putting green tape on their albums now.  #-o

another musician - maybe Jello?- said this, but it was weird and disrespectful of Tim to tape up the albums like that. It kind of destroys the art.

WGB

They always ask for two copies, one for the archive to tape up and I guess one for eBay