Troy Sanders (Mastodon) on Stag

Started by bUTTHOLEmAN, November 11, 2021, 02:08:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bUTTHOLEmAN

https://www.loudersound.com/features/troy-sanders-mastodon-10-albums-that-changed-my-life

"I remember it came out around '95-'96 and back then I just knew they were this Sub-Pop band that were really weird, they were connected to Nirvana, they had some heaviness and they had some noise songs. But then they came out with Stag and it was on Atlantic Records, quite the shock. It was drenched in uniqueness and creativity; you'd have these heavy songs and then these curveball songs and it just made The Melvins a top band of all time for me. I heard Stag and I went and dived back into their entire discography, which I been devouring ever since and I love as well, but this one hit me hard. I'd just never heard anything quite like that before, they weren't afraid to take chances and they weren't trying to be cool. They genuinely didn't care if people liked them or if they hated them, they reeked of awesomeness, I absolutely love The Melvins."
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

von grip

"im ol' south!"

black stallion

never cared about Mastodon but they seem to have some good tastes
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

#2 Pencil

There is some really great stuff here. I cannot believe he has Men at Work. For an Aussie band, they were underrated here. And a lot of lease great bands got lost in AC DCs shadow. I also believe Colin Hay is now in LA. Not sure if he permanently resides there. It's a great album. Give it a go. We call it pub rock here. Think pre INXS or later on what evolved into Cosmic Psychos. Radio friendly though
I heard their periods attract bears

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: #2 Pencil on November 11, 2021, 04:30:50 PM
There is some really great stuff here. I cannot believe he has Men at Work.
Yah, was surprised about that one as well. It's a good album.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

the bloat

The Weezer pick was unexpected. I'm just trying to picture a bunch of tatted out metal dudes, sitting in a little van, jamming out to the Sweater Song. But hey, who doesn't like that album, right?

Cool article BH!

Bigval

There is some really great stuff here. I cannot believe he has Men at Work. For an Aussie band, they were underrated here. And a lot of lease great bands got lost in AC DCs shadow.

They were one of those rare Aussie bands that was actually bigger overseas than they were here. I'm pretty sure I remember hearing that Men at Work were quite popular in the US back in the day. Probably why Colin Hay lives over there now.

))))((((

Since Mastodon have covered 'The Bit' a few times, i wonder if that was Troy who suggested that Stag song.

vince furnier

*Melvins not a Sub-Pop band except for Mike & The Melvins album, released 20 years later  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

black stallion

Quote from: vince furnier on November 12, 2021, 07:29:42 AM
*Melvins not a Sub-Pop band except for Mike & The Melvins album, released 20 years later  :lol:

:lol:
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

jonE5

Saw them do "The Bit" live the second time I saw them. They were a lot better the 1st time..lol (for Blood Mountain)
That was the highlight of the night.

......George Jones though.  =D>
YES

FartLips

There is some really great stuff here. I cannot believe he has Men at Work. For an Aussie band, they were underrated here. And a lot of lease great bands got lost in AC DCs shadow. I also believe Colin Hay is now in LA. Not sure if he permanently resides there. It's a great album. Give it a go. We call it pub rock here. Think pre INXS or later on what evolved into Cosmic Psychos. Radio friendly though
Hay has lived in Nashville for a long time. he might be in LA now, but he'd play all of the local dives.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol: