Best produced melvins album.

Started by BlueBob, August 14, 2005, 07:30:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

williamblakestyger

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Dumpster D

Leroy

Dunno why nobody mentioned this, but I thought the production on A Senile Animal, Nude With Boots, Bride Screamed Murder, and Freak Puke was damn good.  Think about it.  It doesn't give you a headache.  Everything is mixed pretty well.  You can hear the bass just fine.  The drums, although there are 2 drummers for ASA, NWB, and TBSM, are NOT too over-powering, and the guitars and vocal harmonies are all mixed well.    In my opinion, the production is great and is NOT over-compressed.  There are no loud-ness wars going on with these 4 albums...

Any thoughts?

Helen83

Bootlicker by a friggin country mile. Listen to Let It All Be and it becomes clear immediately that up until that point (and since) it is the best production.

deatheats

I wonder if the fact that Bootlicker had no amps involved (from what I've heard) helped in the production quality?

Leroy

hmm, not sure.  although it is almost all clean-tone - the guitars and bass were  electric no doubt, but I suppose that's possible only  if they were plugged in directly.

Fureon Nectarmoon

Ipecac's Gluey Porch Treatments CD.
Enough said.

Idlehanz

Quote from: deatheats on April 11, 2013, 01:44:08 PM
I wonder if the fact that Bootlicker had no amps involved (from what I've heard) helped in the production quality?

It is true, and I'd say yes. Not that I know a lot about engineering, but I would think it'd help a bit.

VaticanShotglass

Quote from: Leroy on April 11, 2013, 08:45:35 AM
Dunno why nobody mentioned this, but I thought the production on A Senile Animal, Nude With Boots, Bride Screamed Murder, and Freak Puke was damn good.  Think about it.  It doesn't give you a headache.  Everything is mixed pretty well.  You can hear the bass just fine.  The drums, although there are 2 drummers for ASA, NWB, and TBSM, are NOT too over-powering, and the guitars and vocal harmonies are all mixed well.    In my opinion, the production is great and is NOT over-compressed.  There are no loud-ness wars going on with these 4 albums...

Any thoughts?

I can't weigh in as I think a lot of their albums sound good, but perhaps not nice.  Without popping them in again I can't name many names.  I think Ozma sounds disappointing while The Maggot doesn't sound very hifi but the sound suits the music.  So maybe it is about being a good match.

But anyway I really don't like the sound of NWB.  To be fair It is my least favorite album since the Big Business merger (despite having some of my favorite songs somehow).  But I often make mix CDs  with tracks from various albums to proselytize the band to friends.  And when I do I usually throw in a few NWB tracks because I love some of those songs, but the production does sound waaaay too compressed and harsh.  Even when back to back with other new tracks from TBSM.

Helen83

The Smiling Cobra is always a winner for folk who are new to Melvins,

black stallion

Quote from: Helen83 on April 12, 2013, 03:32:26 PM
The Smiling Cobra is always a winner for folk who are new to Melvins,

yup

Quote from: VaticanShotglass on April 11, 2013, 07:15:55 PM
Quote from: Leroy on April 11, 2013, 08:45:35 AM

Any thoughts?

But anyway I really don't like the sound of NWB.  To be fair It is my least favorite album since the Big Business merger (despite having some of my favorite songs somehow).  But I often make mix CDs  with tracks from various albums to proselytize the band to friends.  And when I do I usually throw in a few NWB tracks because I love some of those songs, but the production does sound waaaay too compressed and harsh.  Even when back to back with other new tracks from TBSM.

good point
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Dumpster D

In all honesty you cant say there is a best or worst produced album, Production itself is always subjectional.

like saying Digital is worse or better than analog recording. The fact that you believe one album is produced better than another shows how much music Marketing Strategies have got you by the balls...

Correct ANSWER;

Neither is superior in any way whatsoever, they BOTH have their pros and Cons in different Areas subjectionally.

As for production, same difference. 

Stuff that was produced top of the line for its time can soon sound DATED if you know what I mean.

you have to appreciate the fact that this group has spanned three generations of Production trends and tastes.

all of the music therein is also equally as diverse as the production sound itself.

now put that in your blunt and roll it.

(((O)))

I don't know anything about production and am usually at a loss when people discuss it or the technical aspects of recording. I often don't hear many of the things others identify as problems in the sound either. Perhaps that stuff just doesn't register with me and in a way im glad it doesn't. I love records that somehow maintain a bit of that raw and honest sound of the instruments but also has some clarity to it. A sense of "fullness" to what im hearing. Whatever that really means. Other than some early releases i don't think i have a problem with any Melvins album as regards the production. I like the new stuff and the old and couldn't pick out one.