San FranCrisco 1-08-2011

Started by BallsFunky, January 09, 2011, 03:12:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BallsFunky

All I can really say is..."I'm speechless". The Evolution of this great band in one nights' performance. Any who were in attendance, please chime in and share!!! :shock: :shock: :shock:

Dead Bob

Blown away, this band never ceases to amaze me. I wasn't planning to go tonight but at the last minute got a ticket, so glad I did.

BallsFunky

If someone could post a set list, that would be much appreciated...

My take on the evening's song choices...

Egg Nog heaviness, followed by Lysol heaviness...a short break

Ozma stuff, Bullhead stuff, At the Stake (the highlight of the evening, for me) Also Lizzy (my second choice to Hag Me)

Then they went into the Trilogy and HAT and spiraled outta control with the latest and greatest.

My opinion... if they aren't touring a new record, they should keep it like this.

Pics and a set list would be great if anyone could contribute.

Captain CoryCory

At the Stake!?  :shock:

So any word on what the setlist looked like?

gesundheit

At The Stake was the supreme highlight for me...though the opening Charmicarmicat FOLLOWED by Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog was pretty fucking heavy...

First Set: (Egg Nog and semi-Lysol set)
Charmicarmicat
Hung Bunny/Roman Bird Dog
Hog Leg
Antitoxidote
Wispy
With Teeth

Second Set: (one from each album set)
Set Me Straight
Eye Flys
Oven
It's Shoved
Sacrifice
Lizzy
At The Stake
Tipping The Lion
Lovely Butterflies
AMAZON
Let It All Be
Black Stooges
The Bloated Pope
The Talking Horse
Billy Fish
The Water Glass
Bacon Industry

There were so many moments that I was in pure bliss. Having Buzz play the Water Glass riff about eight feet from my face, the first notes of At The Stake (ideal choice from Stoner Witch and my first time hearing it live), realizing HB/RBD was following Charmicarmicat (I could have just left then and I would have been happy), Hog Leg and the rest of Egg Nog (my fave), Lizzy was superb and I haven't heard it live in a long time, Eye Flys (being the ideal choice from Gluey), screaming at the top of my lungs during both The Water Glass and Bacon Industry and so much more...I do have two or so of my ho-hum crowd-view bootlegs from pretty close up to the stage...I will work on them and post in a few days.

All in all, it was a glorious night. Especially because I didn't get my ticket until about three hours before the show started...and ten minutes before that I hadn't even thought I would be able to go...the Melvins are amazing, I feel like I live a blessed (fortunate or whatever you want to call it) life for being exposed to this band and being able to see them play live on so many occasions.

In the most humble tone I can achieve on the internet I just want to say: Thank you Buzz, Dale, Jared and Coady! And whoever else helped make everything Melvins possible.

jules

alfunso

they have two drummers who sit right up front and engage in thundering, rumbling grooves like Taiko drummers on smack. About ten minutes into the first set, you could acutally hear Buzz's guitar in the mix and that took everything to a new level. People danced by vibrating around the place, shucking, head bobbing to the weird music. it was a great show. there was a song about a hippo. they werent playing  songs so much as engaging in sonic mayhem. and witchcraft. they told us that not everything was icebergs and hotrods but earthshaking synapses colllapsing around rusty implements. I really havent witnessed somic mayhem on this level since the Butthole Surfers were peaking in the 80's, the Surfers couldnt sustain it (who can?) but the Melvins are just getting started,,,alfunso

tmthydunne

easily the best Melvins show i have ever witnessed. 
my ears are still ringing and i have no voice. 

[attachment deleted by admin]

Peebot

Quote from: gesundheit on January 09, 2011, 03:34:04 PM
I feel like I live a blessed (fortunate or whatever you want to call it) life for being exposed to this band and being able to seem them play live on so many occasions.

In the most humble tone I can achieve on the internet I just want to say: Thank you Buzz, Dale, Jared and Coady! And whoever else helped make everything Melvins possible.

Great review, man...thanks for posting, and thanks for putting the set list up.  I feel the same way...I've seen the Melvins 40+ times and I feel so, so lucky every time I get to see them.  They cast a spell on me like no other band...like they're beaming a ray of divine alien logic directly into my skull and down into my heart.  I honestly feel as though they have shown me some sort of magikal truth that lies under the waves at some of their shows...transported me to the beyond to give me a glimpse of what is good, in its purest form.  I too say thank you, Melvins.

I'm fucking jealous as hell that SF got this show...outrageous set list.  One of the best I've ever seen, at my favorite venue in the Bay Area.  Hope they come up to Seattle and play something similar before too long.  We need it.

Music is the Only Redeemer.

RaymondAhner

Without a doubt my favorite Melvins show ever! Put a few photos up on my blog, and you can check them here - http://raymondahner.typepad.com/raymondahner/2011/01/melvins-the-great-american-music-hall-san-francisco-ca-18.html

Angus Khan

...and they all sing the same refrain: its fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins.

alfunso

That was such as amazing show. I wish the Melvins had the technology to record it and get it out to fans. Other bands like the Pixies have recorded and sold a lot of cds of thier live shows.  I think that was the greatest Melvins show I have seen  as well,,,Alfunso 

supernaut

ok the suspense is killin... who's got the audio?

alfunso

Well according to the thread on the Spaceland shows, the shows in LA are being recorded and filmed for DVD or possible reality series, "life with the Osbournes",,,Alfunso