[!!!] Melvins Show Aggie Theater; Ft. Collins Colorado

Started by jimmydoufus, September 20, 2006, 09:37:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmydoufus

The show last night 9/19/2006 was outstanding. I'm not going to go through the mental masturbation of replaying the night and give a list of every song, because that would mean I cared more about the setlist than soaking up the aural euphony of the night. I will say that the set they played was about 90 minutes and the songs they played were pretty consistent with what I read about the other shows on this tour (Let It All Be, Bloated Pope, etc...). It was pretty cool how Big Business kinda morphed into the Melvins and the show never really stopped from beginning to end. The band that warmed up the venue seemed to be the roadies and Dale, but who knows. It wasn't the greatest, but it gave Dale a chance to warm up. It seemed like they did a quick 10 song medley too. So for the highlight of the night it was definately Dale and the other drummer (I wish I knew his name because he deserves A LOT of respect). This guy and Dale played all the best Melvins tunes together as if they shared the same brain. The drumming has never sounded better and to have to guys playing such mathmatical rhythms in unison is something I never thought I'd see. INCREDIBLE!!!.
Lastly, have you ever noticed the tendency to be in a situation where you can't wait to hear music with the Melvins. It is like they are priming you up with some noise that is completely repetitive and redundant, over and over and over again, for a long time, then when they play it is orgasmic. At Aggie Thtr they began the night with something that sounded like a slowed down ultrasound, with a crazy heart beat cadence. It almost drove me crazy, then when i couldn't take it anymore it morphed into something different giving a sense of releif, only to hear the thing from the beggining yet again. Anyway, they pulled the stunt in Houston where they paused for what seemed like an eternity and then as if they all had running metronomes in their heads they landed on the upbeat of the next song, all together and tight as hell.
Probably the best show I've ever seen in my life and if you know any drummers, drag them to the show whether they like the music or not... they will leave with a proud moment on the front of their pants...

glen

Quote from: jimmydoufus on September 20, 2006, 09:37:39 AM

Lastly, have you ever noticed the tendency to be in a situation where you can't wait to hear music with the Melvins. It is like they are priming you up with some noise that is completely repetitive and redundant, over and over and over again, for a long time, then when they play it is orgasmic. At Aggie Thtr they began the night with something that sounded like a slowed down ultrasound, with a crazy heart beat cadence. It almost drove me crazy, then when i couldn't take it anymore it morphed into something different giving a sense of releif, only to hear the thing from the beggining yet again. Anyway, they pulled the stunt in Houston where they paused for what seemed like an eternity and then as if they all had running metronomes in their heads they landed on the upbeat of the next song, all together and tight as hell.

this I like.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

___-----_____------_____

Beauty is a Rare Thing - Ornette Coleman

glen

"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.

Rev. Mike

Did the one "roadie" in the opening band have dreads and lots of tattoos?  If so, that's Billy Anderson, fames producer of Neurosis, Sleep, and many many others, the other guy, Tim Moss, is their tour manager and famed friend of Richie Goodtimes.

jimmydoufus

norecess

Hey man, excellent reviews! The other drummer's name is Coady Willis, drummer of Melvins, Big Business, and former Dead Low Tide and Murder City Devils.

Rev. Mike

Quote from: jimmydoufus on September 20, 2006, 11:30:34 AM
Quote from: Rev. Mike on September 20, 2006, 11:09:02 AM
Did the one "roadie" in the opening band have dreads and lots of tattoos?  If so, that's Billy Anderson, fames producer of Neurosis, Sleep, and many many others, the other guy, Tim Moss, is their tour manager and famed friend of Richie Goodtimes.

This guy had tatoo sleeves and long straight hair with a pretty long goatie. Long droaning music with Crover on drums. Probably MOP. He played through an Orange Guitar Amp head and it was so loud and bright it was very hard on the ears.

That's Moss, what did the bass player look like?  Thanks for the review, glad you had a good time.

bUTTHOLEmAN

The band that warmed up the venue seemed to be the roadies and Dale, but who knows. It wasn't the greatest, but it gave Dale a chance to warm up.

This is the greatest review ever!  :lol:
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

___-----_____------_____

glen

Smellis

Moss just throws out a massive crushing wall of sound through that Orange stack amp. Nothing better when it is that loud and still sounds good, vibrates 'yer bones and teeth.  :x
"I actually checked to make sure I wasn't posting balls."  (IDLEHANZ)

".PS: please,  allow me to reitterate...  dale crover = super human " (GLEN)

"If the world is going to end on Saturday I might as well hold in my shit and save a few bucks on Shit-Paper." (GRIM)

ANACONDA:   All-around genuine motherfucker.

___-----_____------_____

Vcavallo

Probably the best show I've ever seen in my life and if you know any drummers, drag them to the show whether they like the music or not... they will leave with a proud moment on the front of their pants...
Vinney "only takes 15 years to make good on his promises" Cavallo