A senile animal

Started by harrymerkin, June 24, 2011, 09:33:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harrymerkin

I just wanted to share my love of this album.  When it came out I never really got too into it, but over the last week it's all I have listened to and completely rediscovered it's charms. No dud songs for me, and I love the odd production...how the guitars sit back a little and the drums and vocals just kill it. I would now say it's in my top 5 with POTRE  and HAT.

(PAUL)

So I was just watching Drugstore Cowboy and pretty early in the film this guy shows up at their house while they're shooting up. Matt Dillon's character asked if the guy was alone (I think his name is David), and he says "Yeah I'm alone what do you think I brought my rat faced granny?" Thought that was funny.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

pinkyslim

Quote from: (PAUL) on June 24, 2011, 11:06:26 PM
So I was just watching Drugstore Cowboy and pretty early in the film this guy shows up at their house while they're shooting up. Matt Dillon's character asked if the guy was alone (I think his name is David), and he says "Yeah I'm alone what do you think I brought my rat faced granny?" Thought that was funny.

great movie.

Drugstore Cowboy - 3. "Gentle Explosion"

harrymerkin

Quote from: (PAUL) on June 24, 2011, 11:06:26 PM

Ha! That's awesome.

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Metalhead Cow

Sweet album, every song on this album is fucking great. Definately contains some of their "catchiest" material. D0es anyone else agree this is the most conventional, accessible album they've ever released? I remember being kind of shocked when I first heard it

Metalhead Cow

Quote from: harrymerkin on June 24, 2011, 09:33:18 PM
 When it came out I never really got too into it

I think this album was under-appreciated all around when it first came out... I remember all the uproar on the boards that A History Of Bad Men was a Night Goat ripoff-Then at some point some one noticed that the main riff was the exact same riff from The Man With The Laughing Hand Is Dead  :mrgreen:

black stallion

Quote from: Metalhead Cow on June 28, 2011, 03:07:15 AM
D0es anyone else agree this is the most conventional, accessible album they've ever released? I remember being kind of shocked when I first heard it

you're right,all the albums with BB are very accessible.i remember being shocked because of the vocals when i heard ASA for the first time

harrymerkin

If you compare where they came from (HAT) it's an amazing shift.

(((O)))

Quote from: harrymerkin on June 29, 2011, 03:35:10 AM
If you compare where they came from (HAT) it's an amazing shift.
In a way yes but dont forget that in that timespan they also went off and did many a different thing too. The Jelvins efforts and the compiled Manged Demos release had them reconnect with their influences etc and POTRE had Buzz and Dale shift their sound about some more and exploring new avenues. If you removed the group vocals and the double drumming from ASA i'd say it would sound fairly convention for a Melvins record. A mixture of Houdini and HAT perhaps.

stormzsystem

Yeah took me a while to really get into it, but that's almost always the case with Melvins albums, very hard to call anything too early. And sure, History of Bad Men sounds just like Night Goat, but I could use that riff on every album anyway thank you very much

black stallion

Quote from: stormzsystem on July 09, 2011, 03:26:19 AM
And sure, History of Bad Men sounds just like Night Goat

not really the same riff

JungleJunk

Quote from: black stallion on July 09, 2011, 05:06:01 AM
Quote from: stormzsystem on July 09, 2011, 03:26:19 AM
And sure, History of Bad Men sounds just like Night Goat

not really the same riff
It's close enough to most of the people (drunk & on drugs) at their shows to think they are hearing Night Goat until the lyrics start.  Then those folks are like- wait! what?  And that's where Melvins once again have the pleasure of fucking with said people's heads. :D

(((O)))

I've never really noticed the similarity between the two before. Sure everyone mentions it but to me they're distinctly different. I know when one is being played and not the other or vis versa. Perhaps newcomers wouldnt maybe.

Uncle Fester

Quote from: )))((( on July 09, 2011, 11:32:21 AM
I've never really noticed the similarity between the two before.

thats because it is not the night goat riff at all. its theriff from the man with the laughing hand is dead.