Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass

Started by meezer, December 03, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on January 29, 2016, 10:07:54 AM
Quote from: meezer on January 29, 2016, 10:05:48 AM
Thoughts on War Pussy? Anyone?
My thoughts are as follows....

WHERE THE HELL CAN I HEAR IT?????? Ditto for Beer Hippy too.
I put them on a tape on Monday morning and as soon as I finished, Mike + The Melvins broke, so I put that on there too. Listened to it every morning this week.

War Pussy

Lying - haunting
Hideous Woman - Straight up new Alice In Chains until the vocals come on, then it's a cool song
I Want To Tell You - Great Beatles cover. Has the tempo and all the moving parts of the original, plus an outro that Beatles fans will love
War Pussy - killer song, hard stuff

Competent bass player from Steven. No complaints. Nothing flashy.

Beer Hippy

Beer Hippy - great hard ass song
Shaving Cream - stupid In The Army Now type stuff
Phyllis Dillard - see Beer Hippy
Take Me Out - see Shaving Cream

M + M - love it. Can't wait to hear more
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

(the) Razor

That's a sound I don't think I've ever heard before from this band. Pretty upbeat.
Don't click this

black stallion

Quote from: (the) Razor on March 07, 2016, 10:55:44 PM
That's a sound I don't think I've ever heard before from this band. Pretty upbeat.

i can hear a Mark D vibe on that bass playing (from 08:55....)
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

glen

I'd be willing to bet that the stench of those silver beauties would knock a buzzard off a gut wagon.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Dumpster D

I wonder if that is at all a reference to Kurt Vonnegut Slaughterhouse five, wherein the English pows in the camp put on Cinderalla as a pageant to entertain the new American Prisoners, they had a pair of RAF flight boots painted Silver as the glass slippers, But the main Character ends up with them, One of the officers Commands Billy pilgrim to wear them as part of his embarrassing outfit the Germans gave him with Pride as it was an insult to him.

Maybe the Nazis are like the Melvins in that sense and Steve is like their POW?

black stallion

meezer

Since Ian's link to the silver shoes was taken down.

[attachment deleted by admin]

black stallion

meezer

Photo - tastelikedirt, Orangevale, CA, 3 - 20 - 16

goldennuggetrecordings

to be honest, ive only seen a couple videos here and there of steve with the melvins... but for whatever irrational reason, hes already possibly my favorite player theyve had with them. something about him just makes perfect sense to me! hes can do the mark d stuff, hes got the chords that give him that joe preston girth, and his tone is good, and yeah. i dunno. i know there are other players that are really good, and i like them too. but this is the most exciting line up to me now that im seeing some videos. maybe ill change my mind at some point, but man im stoked!

plus im looking into redd kross now, and hes john lennon and geddy lee put together sorta hahaha at least from what ive seen so far. which is almost nothing lol

deatheats

Quote from: goldennuggetrecordings on March 22, 2016, 01:00:31 PM
to be honest, ive only seen a couple videos here and there of steve with the melvins... but for whatever irrational reason, hes already possibly my favorite player theyve had with them. something about him just makes perfect sense to me! hes can do the mark d stuff, hes got the chords that give him that joe preston girth, and his tone is good, and yeah. i dunno. i know there are other players that are really good, and i like them too. but this is the most exciting line up to me now that im seeing some videos. maybe ill change my mind at some point, but man im stoked!

plus im looking into redd kross now, and hes john lennon and geddy lee put together sorta hahaha at least from what ive seen so far. which is almost nothing lol

Plus he is one of the most charismatic live performers I've seen play bass.  You can tell he is loving every minute he is in front of an audience.

goldennuggetrecordings

yeah! i was getting that vibe too! its i never really think about how that matters, but even just listening without seeing, that energy comes through the music too. its weird. but yeah im really excited about steve! i hope they do a full length lp with him! plus he could do some mean ass lennon covers if they chose to go that route!

like can you imagine a twist and shout cover?

John Schuller

Steven McDonald is a seriously great bass player - like a musician's musician kind of musician. He has played with Redd Kross since he was a little kid, played bass in Sparks, played bass for Beck, plays bass in OFF! and now in Melvins. You are spot on that he has that Mark D feel - as far as bass players go there are three Melvins bass players that are incredibly studied in music. Trevor Dunn, Mark D and Steven McDonald. Lukin, Lorax, Joe, Kevin, Pinkus and Jared are pure rock and rollers. They are all fucking great - but you get something special with those "learned" musicians that you aren't going to get with other players.

Dumpster D

I stopped comparing, I like his Bass guitar, that is all I have to say.