Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass

Started by meezer, December 03, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deatheats

I've seen Steven chew a crowd out for not being engaged enough (at Redd Kross shows).
If he is giving it his all the least the crowd could do is respond in kind.

John Schuller

Quote from: meezer on May 09, 2016, 10:37:12 AM
Either I totally missed it, or he wasn't doing it yet when I saw them.

Yeah - I did not see much of any of that during the first two shows I saw him with Melvins last month. He is 100% in his element now. At the Troubador he was getting up on the PA speakers for bass solos even.

The Minneapolis Kid

Absolutely LOVE Steven on bass. I'm glad I pulled the phone out and got this.
Enjoy.

https://youtu.be/aStcPu8ojw4

GiveMe45

coreystevens88

Quote from: The Minneapolis Kid on May 09, 2016, 10:07:09 PM
Enjoy.

Agreed.  Thank you for sharing

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: coreystevens88 on May 10, 2016, 07:14:19 AM
Quote from: The Minneapolis Kid on May 09, 2016, 10:07:09 PM
Enjoy.

Agreed.  Thank you for sharing
Quote from: GiveMe45 on May 09, 2016, 11:13:48 PM
Thank you for posting that!

My pleasure! They were a fucking powerhouse that night and I think everyone in the building was feeding off of Stevens energy. He fits so well in such a weird way. I don't want to say he's my favorite but he's funner to watch than Pinkus but Trevor fighting his Stand up is pretty amazing too. I really hope they do more touring with Steven and write more music too. His back up vocals are amazing as well. Jared's work with Buzz's voice but Steven is all Dale and man they sound great together!

John Schuller

Thanks for sharing. Steven McDonald is such a true badass - fantastic human as well. He brings a great rock energy to the Melvins that takes them over the top in a way that no one else can. Plus - his work in Redd Kross is amazing. For those that have not yet checked out "Born Innocent" and "Neurotica" check those out pronto. IF you can hang with those then dig into "Teen Babes from Monsanto" and "Phase Shifter" with a side of their first EP. Redd Kross is my other Melvins.

black stallion

best bassist they had since Kevin i guess
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: sadcorps on May 10, 2016, 06:19:38 PM
Thanks for sharing. Steven McDonald is such a true badass - fantastic human as well. He brings a great rock energy to the Melvins that takes them over the top in a way that no one else can. Plus - his work in Redd Kross is amazing. For those that have not yet checked out "Born Innocent" and "Neurotica" check those out pronto. IF you can hang with those then dig into "Teen Babes from Monsanto" and "Phase Shifter" with a side of their first EP. Redd Kross is my other Melvins.

I really wished I had discovered Redd Kross 20 years ago. Glad I finally did. It blows my mind that Steven was fucking ELEVEN when he started Redd Kross. He opened for Black Flag when he was ELEVEN. It's no wonder why he's an amazing bass player and I've heard he has some amazing stories too. His energy is exactly what the Melvins needed to add to the arsenal. I love the Kiss shirt's he and Dale are wearing too.

Quote from: black stallion on May 11, 2016, 12:58:15 PM

for me Steve and Trevor are both on the next level like Kevin. I can't say that Steven is better than Trevor though. Nor could I say Trevor is better than Steven. They're both amazing.

black stallion

Trevor Dunn is a great bassist but i can't say too much about him in the band because he didn't play too often with them. the upright bass thing was good for sure
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: black stallion on May 11, 2016, 01:06:26 PM
Trevor Dunn is a great bassist but i can't say too much about him in the band because he didn't play too often with them. the upright bass thing was good for sure

That's true. I did see him play with them when they did Houdini and it was the first time they did eggsol live in SF. Trevor hair was pretty long then and he and Buzz where wearing all black mumus and they why Trevor was playing sometimes was like he was conjuring the devil, especially the eggsol night. I think that's why he's alway's stood out to me.

GiveMe45

I remember that like it was yesterday!  I left Maryland Deathfest a day early so I could catch that show.  Especially this song because of Trevor drilling a hole in the stage with his bass.

John Schuller

Quote from: The Minneapolis Kid on May 11, 2016, 01:03:40 PM
Quote from: sadcorps on May 10, 2016, 06:19:38 PM

I really wished I had discovered Redd Kross 20 years ago. Glad I finally did. It blows my mind that Steven was fucking ELEVEN when he started Redd Kross. He opened for Black Flag when he was ELEVEN. It's no wonder why he's an amazing bass player and I've heard he has some amazing stories too. His energy is exactly what the Melvins needed to add to the arsenal. I love the Kiss shirt's he and Dale are wearing too.

Quote from: black stallion on May 11, 2016, 12:58:15 PM

for me Steve and Trevor are both on the next level like Kevin. I can't say that Steven is better than Trevor though. Nor could I say Trevor is better than Steven. They're both amazing.

I 100% agree with you on this. Both are super nice guys too. Huge KISS fans. (It all comes back to KISS).

John Schuller

Quote from: The Minneapolis Kid on May 11, 2016, 01:10:46 PM
Quote from: black stallion on May 11, 2016, 01:06:26 PM

That's true. I did see him play with them when they did Houdini and it was the first time they did eggsol live in SF. Trevor hair was pretty long then and he and Buzz where wearing all black mumus and they why Trevor was playing sometimes was like he was conjuring the devil, especially the eggsol night. I think that's why he's alway's stood out to me.

I would like to see ELECTRIC Trevor in the band again. I did see him do Lysol/Eggnog in LA. It was amazing!!!!!!!

spliff(TONE)

Quote from: sadcorps on March 24, 2016, 09:40:59 PM
Quote from: goldennuggetrecordings on March 24, 2016, 05:13:15 PM
Quote from: sadcorps on March 24, 2016, 12:37:40 PM

I just witnessed two nights in a row of Steven McDonald on bass. The energy, tone and riffage he brings is stellar. Watch out - in my opinion this is the best lineup I have seen live! (the only lineups that I have never seen live are the Buzz/Mike/Lukin and Buzz/Dale/Joe lineups.)

this is the impression ive been getting, but didnt want to jump to conclusions... all i know is i watch every melvins video i can find, ive seen a lot, theyre mostly all in line with eachother, and then i watched the eye flys and suddenly it hit me like BAM this is different in the best way possible!

yeah. im pumped.

I hear you there! Just WAIT until you witness Eye Flys with McDonald on bass - it is taken to a whole new level!!!!!

Def my favorite live rendition of the song I've heard yet (and I've seen them live dozens of times).