Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass

Started by meezer, December 03, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

spliff(TONE)

Saw the first two of their Troubadour shows in L.A. last weekend. McDonald's bass playing and stage presence are both really good. I liked his random emphatic shouting in to the mic he did here and there too.

))))((((

Having just read that recent Buzz interview, it made me wonder if Steven on bass is a longer term deal than i thought. Besides, does anyone know what's happening with Off at the moment? They seem to have gone kinda quiet when before they were pretty productive. I assume they are not on hiatus at least. Perhaps Mario and Dimitri are just working with their other bands allowing Steven to be a Melvin for a while right??

John Schuller

Quote from: ))))(((( on May 13, 2016, 12:34:12 PM
Having just read that recent Buzz interview, it made me wonder if Steven on bass is a longer term deal than i thought. Besides, does anyone know what's happening with Off at the moment? They seem to have gone kinda quiet when before they were pretty productive. I assume they are not on hiatus at least. Perhaps Mario and Dimitri are just working with their other bands allowing Steven to be a Melvin for a while right??

I would like to see Steven be the permanent bassist. I imagine that OFF!, Redd Kross and Melvins can all exist at the same time with Steven in the bass role. Mario also plays in Earthless. Keith has Flag dates coming up. And I am not sure what else Dimitri does?

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on May 13, 2016, 12:34:12 PM
Having just read that recent Buzz interview, it made me wonder if Steven on bass is a longer term deal than i thought

i hope so
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

black stallion

Rusty Shackleford

Fucking awesome!  Melvins need more Lead Bass Guitar!

deatheats

Last time Redd Kross was in town Steven told us that the song Frosted Flake was about 'That Pavement Singer' Stephen Malkmus.

"Does he still live here? He was such a blunt monkey."

Apparently they went to high school together and that was their nick name for him.   Who knows how much of that was true, but hearing him play this with the Melvins reminded me of the story.

John Schuller

Quote from: deatheats on May 16, 2016, 01:28:16 PM
Last time Redd Kross was in town Steven told us that the song Frosted Flake was about 'That Pavement Singer' Stephen Malkmus.

"Does he still live here? He was such a blunt monkey."

Apparently they went to high school together and that was their nick name for him.   Who knows how much of that was true, but hearing him play this with the Melvins reminded me of the story.

Cool story!!!! I hope everyone here bought a copy of Neurotica for sale on the tour!!! I bought my 6th or 7th copy.

John Schuller

The Minneapolis Kid

Quote from: sadcorps on May 16, 2016, 10:13:31 PM
Quote from: black stallion on May 14, 2016, 04:05:52 AM
check the bass on Onions... (starting from 5:07)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64o2qIInFA0

FULL ON!!!!!! Lead bassists rule.

He's so fucking awesome. I really hope they do a full length album with him. I'm excited to get my Basses Loaded CD in the mail so I can listen to War Pussy on constant repeat.

Hot Pants

pretty cool. seems like he fits in very well. looking forward to seeing him as a melvin this year.
the place where i sleep is cold and abandoned
you can't even fathom a hole being dug so deep

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

black stallion

Quote from: meezer on July 15, 2016, 11:30:24 PM
http://www.laweekly.com/music/off-redd-kross-bassist-steve-mcdonald-loves-his-new-gig-in-the-melvins-7124455

I'd copy/paste it, but that website is killing my tablet.  :?

thank you for posting,that was a nice read. hope this guy will stay in Melvins for a long time,i'd love to hear a full album with him on bass

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on July 16, 2016, 08:00:40 AM
i'd love to hear a full album with him on bass
Me too! Although i was glad he confirmed in the interview that Off are still together. Funny that the next Melvins album (going by Brian's cryptic post) seems to be involving someone else on bass yet Steven suggests he's not out of the picture as far as he knows. Or lets on!

))))((((

I like that Steve has been confirmed for bass duties for at least 2 new Melvins albums. I'd like to see him stick around on bass for at least a couple of years and a few records. Same goes for Pinkus. I like when Melvins have new bassists for them to have a defined "era". To be seen to have a decent amount of time in the band and then to be able to look back at that phase as a whole.