Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass

Started by meezer, December 03, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Alex-

Quote from: JFKC on January 13, 2021, 05:52:57 PM
Yeah, I saw him skate off after they played ,down the street, which made me very happy because I am a skater , of course I just broke my fucking elbow recently for life and I don't think I'll ever be able to skate again, but,that made me like him very much more. So long live Steven and long live Steven in the Melvins....

I'm sorry to keep bringing Kevin back up, but really what I want more than anything is for the cows to get back together, I want somebody to go talk to ThoR
Eisentrager and fucking make him play guitar with those fucking creeps again, they were such a fucking bad ass band, and Thor is one of the best fucking guitar players other than Paul Leary and buzz that I've ever fucking heard my my life ( my dumb ass opinion). Fucking Shannon is the most scariest front man I've ever encountered, one time when they played in town I went to go tell them how much I loved them all, and I walked right up to Shannon and he gave me a look that scared me, and I walked away.... when Buzz produced  their last record I knew it was gonna be fucking amazing, and it was, and I saw them on that tour, and I was so stoked. Then, I heard that Kevin join the Melvins , I was fucking so happy. Then I found out the cows broke up and I drank a case of beer, smoked a bunch of crack, ate a bunch of hash, took a bunch of Lunestra sleeping pills,smoked some speed,and set a building on fire....

I doubt we will see Cows again, especially with the old lineup. They did a show in Minneapolis like 7 years ago? but with Paul from Hammerhead on guitar. I missed that unfortunately.

I think Kevin and Melvins get along fine these days. It would actually be a cool idea to let bring Kevin along on tour together with Steven.

black stallion

does anyone know which pedal Steven is using during this tour? sounds as a Flanger or Phaser. I think it sounds not so good  :?

check it's shoved

https://youtu.be/GNGvdFCS5G0

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

immoraliste

it's insane to me that some of you don't like Steven.

vince furnier

Quote from: immoraliste on March 20, 2022, 11:09:15 AM
it's insane to me that some of you don't like Steven.
"you're picking fly shit out of pepper" - King Buzzo  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

dirtmerchant

Quote from: black stallion on March 20, 2022, 05:07:35 AM
does anyone know which pedal Steven is using during this tour? sounds as a Flanger or Phaser. I think it sounds not so good  :?

check it's shoved

https://youtu.be/GNGvdFCS5G0
Sounds like a fuckin DOD flanger or some bullshit. All I know is he used it on Amazon when I saw them years ago and ruined the song for me live that night. He used it on a bunch of stuff and it was just unnecessary. You've got this super heavy song and then you got Steven over there acting like a goofball with this horrible flanger effect on the bass that was so loud it made the song comical. I really like his playing on a walk with love and death but I despise his vocals and his dod flanger effect on classic songs live. It doesn't help that I also hate redd Kross. Worst opening band I've seen for the Melvins.

))))((((

Quote from: dirtmerchant on March 20, 2022, 12:18:58 PM
I really like his playing on a walk with love and death but I despise his vocals and his dod flanger effect on classic songs live. It doesn't help that I also hate redd Kross.
Pretty much the same here. He's a good player but just too poppy and upbeat sounding for my tastes. I've got kind of used to him jumping around the stage but i still sort of feel it doesn't fit in with the bands vibe. Or at least their older vibe. With previous bassists it seemed to be more attitude coming off the stage. Perhaps a bit menacing or "fuck you" but with Steven it just seems goofy.

Worst opening band I've seen for the Melvins.
I can't go quite that far. I would say Tweak Bird or Shit Kid are way worse. Easily ones that stick in my memory as bad.

Chief Ten Beers

I like Steve, and I enjoy his string bends and effects. I thought he was great w/ OFF!, got to see them twice including the tour w/ Dale. Not a fan of Redd Kross either though. I think he got some of his pedals from Bootsy Collins or Les Claypool :lol:.
I just realized Steven will soon become the longest tenured Melvins bassist. 2016 to today is 6 yrs. Kevin did about 6 from '98-'04, 5 for Jared('06 to '11). If it wasn't for the pandemic, he'd probably have the most gigs logged in.

CoryCory

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 20, 2022, 12:41:43 PM
I really like his playing on a walk with love and death but I despise his vocals and his dod flanger effect on classic songs live. It doesn't help that I also hate redd Kross.
Pretty much the same here. He's a good player but just too poppy and upbeat sounding for my tastes. I've got kind of used to him jumping around the stage but i still sort of feel it doesn't fit in with the bands vibe. Or at least their older vibe. With previous bassists it seemed to be more attitude coming off the stage. Perhaps a bit menacing or "fuck you" but with Steven it just seems goofy.

I can't go quite that far. I would say Tweak Bird or Shit Kid are way worse. Easily ones that stick in my memory as bad.

Spotlights without a drummer easily takes the top spot for worst Melvins opener, but only because I never seen ShitKid. Bullet dodged on that one?

Bigval

It doesn't help that I also hate redd Kross. Worst opening band I've seen for the Melvins.

The last time I saw the Melvins live they were the support band so I intentionally got there after their set had finished.

vince furnier

Quote from: CoryCory on March 20, 2022, 01:38:00 PM
Quote from: ))))(((( on March 20, 2022, 12:41:43 PM

Spotlights without a drummer easily takes the top spot for worst Melvins opener, but only because I never seen ShitKid. Bullet dodged on that one?
Shitkid opened for Dale Crover Band and was slotted to open for Melvins before the falling out, so i don't think anyone has ever seen them open The Melvins. i was super into Spotlights on tape that summer and the set with the drums on laptop completely lost me. Dale has played drums for the openers so many times. i don't understand why it didn't happen that time.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

GrimReaper

https://modpods.bandcamp.com/

This thread has ventured into worst opening acts, and I'd like to add the ModPods. Dale came up to me and said, they were awesome! I was thinking, what? Dale did snag the drummer for his DCB so I get it.

)))(((, you Sir, think Tweak Bird was terrible? Have you lost all sensibilities? That was one of Dale Crover's best talent finds IMO.

As far as Steven goes, he's here to stay. Great work ethic, lives in LA, fun to be around from what I've observed, brings creativity, what is there not to love besides his pop sensibility?

black stallion

ah, if Dale would come to me saying Backstreet Boys are cool I'd probably agree with him  O:)

))))((((

Quote from: GrimReaper on March 21, 2022, 12:16:01 AM
)))(((, you Sir, think Tweak Bird was terrible? Have you lost all sensibilities? That was one of Dale Crover's best talent finds IMO.
It's the vocals primarily that i dislike about Tweak Bird. I really, REALLY hate the vocals. The music is okay.

Quote from: black stallion on March 21, 2022, 07:22:07 AM
ah, if Dale would come to me saying Backstreet Boys are cool I'd probably agree with him
Then you would both spontaneously break into a rapturous version of 'I Want It That Way' ......"TELL ME WHY!!!!"

black stallion

jules

Quote from: vince furnier on March 20, 2022, 09:06:38 PM

Shitkid opened for Dale Crover Band and was slotted to open for Melvins before the falling out, so i don't think anyone has ever seen them open The Melvins.

Apart from the 18 gigs at which they opened for Melvins, I concur.