Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass

Started by meezer, December 03, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Schuller

Quote from: GrimReaper on March 21, 2022, 12:16:01 AM
As far as Steven goes, he's here to stay. Great work ethic, lives in LA, fun to be around from what I've observed, brings creativity, what is there not to love besides his pop sensibility?

Love Steven. Love Redd Kross. His bass playing fucking rules. Gene Simmons meets Paul McCartney.

black stallion

Quote from: sadcorps on March 21, 2022, 08:44:40 PM
Quote from: GrimReaper on March 21, 2022, 12:16:01 AM
As far as Steven goes, he's here to stay. Great work ethic, lives in LA, fun to be around from what I've observed, brings creativity, what is there not to love besides his pop sensibility?

Gene Simmons meets Paul McCartney.

yeah, I can definitely see that
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

FartLips

watching him the other night for the second time, he actually makes the melvins better. BETTER!!!!
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

vince furnier

Quote from: FartLips on March 22, 2022, 08:00:04 AM
watching him the other night for the second time, he actually makes the melvins better. BETTER!!!!
better living thru (band) chemistry!  :lol: :P
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

))))((((

Nah. Nothing will beat the Kevin era.

black stallion

ah, nice to hear that, I trust you Fart  :D
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Bigval

vince furnier

Quote from: jules on March 21, 2022, 12:13:49 PM
Quote from: vince furnier on March 20, 2022, 09:06:38 PM

Shitkid opened for Dale Crover Band and was slotted to open for Melvins before the falling out, so i don't think anyone has ever seen them open The Melvins.

Apart from the 18 gigs at which they opened for Melvins, I concur.

https://youtu.be/yfq3B9JvIcQ
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

John Schuller

Quote from: vince furnier on March 22, 2022, 09:42:00 PM
Quote from: jules on March 21, 2022, 12:13:49 PM
Quote from: vince furnier on March 20, 2022, 09:06:38 PM

Shitkid opened for Dale Crover Band and was slotted to open for Melvins before the falling out, so i don't think anyone has ever seen them open The Melvins.

Apart from the 18 gigs at which they opened for Melvins, I concur.

https://youtu.be/yfq3B9JvIcQ

Matt Barry!

FartLips

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 22, 2022, 08:24:11 AM
its taken me a while to come to that conclusion. ive seen steveo 3 times now and im hearing so much of what he;s bringing to the songs. shit that no one else thought to do. anybody catch buzz smiling on stage as he's playing? i detected a shit eating grin on him when they launched into anaconda. buzzo is happy again!
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

))))((((

Quote from: FartLips on March 24, 2022, 06:37:15 PM
its taken me a while to come to that conclusion. ive seen steveo 3 times now and im hearing so much of what he;s bringing to the songs. shit that no one else thought to do. anybody catch buzz smiling on stage as he's playing? i detected a shit eating grin on him when they launched into anaconda. buzzo is happy again!
I will say that (for me) i think it is important to consider each era, each bassist alongside the music that was put out at the time. I think that is one of the very big reasons why i always pick Kevin and his era as my favourite. That string of albums that he featured on have IMO some of the very best Melvins songs. So i suppose it is natural for me to then by default state that Kevin is/was the best bassist. Maybe it is wrong of me to see it like that but that is how i personally judge or value it. I know Steven is a great bass player, but the Melvins songs and albums that have been put out (so far) during his run haven't impacted anywhere near to when Kevin was strutting his funky stuff! I also much prefer the Rutmanis stage presence and chaotic, experimental tendencies to Steven's more happy go lucky approach.

John Schuller

For me the Melvins are like Pizza. It's all fucking good. Sometimes I crave the Mark D pizza - a fucking classic from my 20s! Great bassist, seriously fucking great guitarist an all around amazing musician. When I am listening to Mark D era Melvins - it is my favorite Melvins. But then I remember another great pizza which is the Kevin Pizza - a little more saucy and spicey, but damn is it good. What a pizza!!! But don't forget the old Montesano Style which Lukin - it might not be the best sauce and the cheese might stink - but goddamn that is fucking amazing pizza. Lorax Pizza was great - great classic flavor with a perfect crust. Fuck I love that pizza. Joe pizza is also really good - thick sauce and thick crust - fills you up! Jared Pizza is fucking raging too! That is a FUN PIZZA! Right now, I am loving the Steven McDonald Hawthorne Style slices. I just can't turn any of it down! Remember that crazy Pinkus Pie? That shit was great! And I love me some Trevor Dunn Lite Crust style too. See? All this shit is great. Melvins are pizza.

amazonAMAZON

I didn't think I'd like the Melvins with mushrooms but then that Pinkus pie...

immoraliste

Quote from: FartLips on March 24, 2022, 06:37:15 PM
This.

No one will ever sound like Kevin, he has his own sound, but as far as chopps go no one beats Steven. the guy is a fucking legend

amazonAMAZON

I'm watching this TX show on YT. Steven is killing it. I love that Buzz wants the band to overplay (I don't think it's just Dunn of Gift of Sacrifice).

I agree I think "AMAZON" suffered in past tours. I think there are probably some other tracks where more patience and calm menace is needed in the bass. But "Kicking Machine," "It's Shoved," "Anaconda," "Revolve" are all tracks where those fills and flourishes are bringing new life.