Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass

Started by meezer, December 03, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on March 29, 2022, 03:29:56 PM
I agree I think "AMAZON" suffered in past tours. I think there are probably some other tracks where more patience and calm menace is needed in the bass.

Eye Flys. I was downright offended watching him flamboyantly butcher that bass line.
It leads me to believe that he hears that song entirely differently than I do, if that's what he thinks serves it.

PepsiMike

Quote from: Oscar on March 30, 2022, 12:23:28 PM
I agree I think "AMAZON" suffered in past tours. I think there are probably some other tracks where more patience and calm menace is needed in the bass.

Eye Flys. I was downright offended watching him flamboyantly butcher that bass line.
It leads me to believe that he hears that song entirely differently than I do, if that's what he thinks serves it.
:lol: I know what you're talking about. The first time I heard him playing it live, I kept looking around to see if anyone else was hearing the same thing.

black stallion

I can see what you mean. I think sometimes he tends to do things that are not so necessary
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

I'm watching this TX show on YT. Steven is killing it. I love that Buzz wants the band to overplay (I don't think it's just Dunn of Gift of Sacrifice).
Good observation there! quite possibly true too.

I must say I'm pretty ignorant when it comes to bass playing. I say that because oftentimes i don't hear or even register what a bass is doing! I just hear all guitar and drums! Having said that, i noticed when the band had Pinkus in as well as Steve, that it was Steve who really added the extra, emphasized fiddly bits. More than any other Melvins bassist, Steve's clearly a showman both on stage and in his playing. That approach draw attention to itself a whole deal more. Probably more than it should.

))))((((

Just watched this video of the song. It is actually kind of funny to watch Steve bouncing around and pulling faces at some points during this. As a side note, i actually think the best performances of Eye Flys were the Melvins Lite ones. It just sounded so badass with the double bass.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1kgeg9mUlqU

Benjamin Way

Steven McDonald hears "the melvins" entirely different than I do.

vince furnier

for the record i loved what he did on Amazon. i want more of it too!  :P
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

black stallion

outfits he wears on stage are super weird too, wonder what's the story behind that.

and another thing that I find super weird is when he introduces Buzz  riffs screaming "King Buzzoooooooooo'. I think he does that during It's Shoved. that thing always makes me laugh hard.
I guess Buzz&Dale are totally into that glam style he has on stage.

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on March 31, 2022, 01:38:19 AM
and another thing that I find super weird is when he introduces Buzz  riffs screaming "King Buzzoooooooooo'. I think he does that during It's Shoved. that thing always makes me laugh hard.
Haha, i must admit i never like that he does that. I didn't mind it at first as a one off, but now it's like he does it at every gig.

Oscar

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 30, 2022, 07:13:57 PM
As a side note, i actually think the best performances of Eye Flys were the Melvins Lite ones. It just sounded so badass with the double bass.

Absolutely. That's the definitive version, if you ask me. Same goes for Shevil.

Objectively, it tells you what type of player Steven is when he can't show restraint for a 4 note ostinato.
I don't want him fired, I just don't understand what is to be enjoyed about pick slides, trills and hyped up screaming at every given opportunity.

black stallion

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: Oscar on April 01, 2022, 12:40:39 PM
I don't want him fired, I just don't understand what is to be enjoyed about pick slides, trills and hyped up screaming at every given opportunity.
Steven should start a new band w/ the drummer from Boris :).

))))((((

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on April 15, 2022, 06:28:22 PM
Steven should start a new band w/ the drummer from Boris
Ha! I'm guessing you mean because they are both showmen.

vince furnier

Quote from: ))))(((( on April 16, 2022, 10:41:14 AM
Steven should start a new band w/ the drummer from Boris
Ha! I'm guessing you mean because they are both showmen.
i remember reading a review on amazon for a Secret Chiefs 3 live video. someone was crying because a certain violinist they had in the lineup who really enjoys himself while he plays and they wish the other one was there. it ruined the show for them.  :lol: :-({|= :cry:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: Oscar on April 01, 2022, 12:40:39 PM
Steven should start a new band w/ the drummer from Boris :).

HaHaHa ... fuck no.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!