Releases on AmRep

Started by ))))((((, June 26, 2023, 02:15:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

One of my biggest gripes about the releases on AmRep is it's like they don't even exist. They come and go and then never get a proper label release. Often limited with no digital versions available. A few years ago it wasn't too bad because you could always guarentee that they would appear later as part of some new Melvins album on Ipecac. The AmRep stuff was just art releases. But now that has flipped around. The releases are ONLY on AmRep with nothing planned beyond that.

Clearly the band can't put these releases on their Bandcamp page because that's Ipecac affiliated so then you end up with records like the new Throbbing Gristle one that just fly totally under the radar. Same thing happened with Bad Mood Rising too. It's like it's a new album yet at the same time it's missing or absent in some way. Not a proper record!

I always wish Melvins would do like some bands do - put ALL their releases, EVERY single goddamn thing on a Bandcamp page and use that as a place to showcase what they have and will put out. It's a mess how it is currently. Some stuff on Atlantic, some on Boner, some on Ipecac and then all these obscure AmRep EP's and special one off's. For me, putting out albums with limited availability and without proper distribution makes it seem like the band don't really stand behind what they have made. They are not proud to show it off or make sure it gets out to people. They just want to churn it out, make some money and then move onto the next thing.

Maybe some will say i'm just unduly moaning here but as a fan i find it very disappointing that it has to be like this. That it has got to this point.

#2 Pencil

As someone who doesn't own the latest phone, understand the realms of digital world that well (an observation, not a personal attack), I thought you would understand and appreciate this approach. Quentin Tarantino and Roger Avary are taking a similar approach also. Buzz has also said reasons for this. In digital it's out there. Just a 1 and 0 for anyone to take. But with physical you have it. You have to seek it out. Track it down. These people, like myself are not buying into the jpeg revolution and back up to a cloud. They want the hunt, miss out, track down, crave. I myself like Roger Avary got rid of a lot of vhs tapes when dvd and laser disc was the new thing. Wish I didn't.
I heard their periods attract bears

))))((((

I don't own ANY phone let alone an outdated one. I'm sure people will disagree but i'd say i have a reasonable grasp on the digital world and the musicial landscape within it. I just don't like it much. Obviously i come from the era where albums were physical products. I know it's never going to return to how it was. I think it's perfectly fine and understandable that the band continue to put out these art releases for fans to snap up. That has never appealed to me personally but i can clearly see the appeal there for people who do and the excitement of grabbing a copy. I just wish these offerings got collated or released via other means in a much more accessible manner. That doesn't HAVE to be a CD or such. I know most of these releases may get leaked online or eventually be available digitally but it's never by official avenues. Personally i believe that at the very least they should be made digitally available by the band themselves and not just some random download that fans may have to seek out. I mean, we're talking about an internationally renowned band here not some lowkey bedroom act. I don't know if this is still the case, but i read on Shopox that they wouldn't ship to the UK any more due to tax reasons. Again as a fan that doesn't help me or collectors. That just secludes people from being able to own something.

#2 Pencil

It's awesome that you don't have a phone. I work with a guy that is the same. Buts that's the stance they are taking. Like you, not getting on board. They don't want to follow the masses and what they expect. It's only going to continue this way and get a hell of a lot more harder. Hell, the latest TG covers with Void clearly states dust and grit. Shit drilled extra hole. I'm expecting mine to not work properly. But I don't care. I have one.

))))((((

Quote from: #2 Pencil on June 26, 2023, 05:21:44 PM
It's only going to continue this way and get a hell of a lot more harder.
It's easily done of course, i grant i probably come at these things from a different angle than most, but i think you have me a bit mixed up here. I'm absolutely not against the band doing whatever the hell they wish. I understand why they are doing what they are doing. As a fan i just wish they would do it differently. In terms of just making and selling unique products AmRep fits the bill but i don't think it best serves the band themselves or their music. I mean already the CD stock that isn't considered limited has sold out. Should that really happen? I would say not. The whole AmRep set-up is subpar on many levels. We saw that with BMR and we're seeing it again now. Great for limited runs but for proper releases it's just a mess.

Quote from: #2 Pencil on June 26, 2023, 05:21:44 PM
that's the stance they are taking. Like you, not getting on board. They don't want to follow the masses and what they expect.
I'm not singling you out here whatsoever but truly comments like "follow the masses" is something i always find interesting. Almost like that is a badge of honour! Is buying obscure art vinyl online a common practice? I would say no. Which is fine and it doesn't have to be so it's not about doing what the masses expect. I mean, when were Melvins ever about that?

Still, do remember once, way back when i WAS the masses. I think it's funny how (maybe innocently) people frame things like that. They forget it is they who did the changing and then anyone who didn't follow them or follow suit is seen as strange. People have a bizarre take on things like that. How they will rationalise or flip something like that on it's head. A bit like - "we're not weird! YOU are for NOT changing". I suppose it goes to show that on the whole, society will mosey up with pretty much anything if convenient or simply if everyone else does it. I find it rather sad myself. No one stands up for anything these days. I find a lot of it weak mindedness. A reluctance to stand from the crowd and be authentic to themselves.

John Schuller

I opened this thread thinking you would have the same gripe that I have with the AmRep releases! However, my gripe is: THEY DON'T PUT THE DAMN TURNTABLE SPEED ON THE LABEL! It's like half the time I think, this will play at 45 and it is at 33 1/3 or vice versa! hahaha!!! And it is a pain to change the speed on my record player.

But I hear what you are saying - I am a completist for the most part. With most bands it is very easy to collect everything - or - access everything via Spotify, iTunes, Bandcamp etc....the only time it really drives me nuts is when I want to put together a playlist on Spotify and I don't get to add anything from Honky, Prick or the Singles 1-12 release....booo!

But here is the thing, when Buzz says he doesn't live in the past, it tells me we are LUCKY as hell to get anything from the old days re-released or acknowledged at all. As a musician myself that recently had a label reissue an album I made 20 years ago, it was hard as hell to gather up the same excitement that the label had...I had moved on.

I think Buzz likes having it hard to collect everything, because he himself is a collector and understands the thrill of the hunt.

Also - I am a huge fan of getting ALL of the music that I want on vinyl or CD. Preferably vinyl. Who knows if you will be able to find any Melvins on the internet one day, or any good music for that matter - it is not guaranteed. It may disappear. Or it may be altered in some fashion.

Hard Copies always and Discogs when you have the money.

John Schuller

Also, in a perfect world, all of their releases would be in print. And all of the oddballs tracks from comps and 7"s would be collected into a box set or 4LP set or something - and kept in print! And easy to access from one space.

))))((((

Quote from: John Schuller on June 26, 2023, 05:48:52 PM
I think Buzz likes having it hard to collect everything, because he himself is a collector and understands the thrill of the hunt.
I think that is precisely the case and Buzz has often stated as such. Also i don't think he is too precious about any of it. I find that quite jarring - he says he works hard on the music but then doesn't seem to get too bogged down in how it's going to be released. I also think you are wise to see the value in physical music, i wouldn't be surprised at all if what you mentioned DOES come to pass and music history gets one large online EDIT. Maybe not but who wants to take the chance. I don't trust them.

Quote from: John Schuller on June 26, 2023, 05:51:48 PM
Also, in a perfect world, all of their releases would be in print. And all of the oddballs tracks from comps and 7"s would be collected into a box set or 4LP set or something - and kept in print! And easy to access from one space.
I agree! It's really nailed it home to me looking through the King Gizzard bandcamp page - loads of records that mostly had a proper physical release by their own label and then the digital live albums also presented together all under one roof in chronological order. Nothing shunned or shunted off to the side and neglected. A lot of bands may disagree but to me that is the way to do these things. See it as a body of work. But like i said i know for older bands that dabbled with a lot of different labels that can't always be done.

#2 Pencil

You've both made points that Buzz has rebelled against constantly and spoken about on numerous occasions. Masses, fans, corporate whatever you want to label it. THEY are doing what THEY want. No one else. And it must be working or they wouldn't continue. What was his words?
When you do what they want or expect you're trying to know how they want it. Or something like that.
The whole getting up at 3am to buy the stuff, hope I snag one, find someone to pick it up at a show and post it to me in Aus. I have to go out of my way for it. Like Buzz did when he was a kid. He doesn't want it on some site where anyone can just have it at their finger tips. I dig the rush looking back most of the time. Like crate digging at a second hand store. Who knows what you'll find, but are you looking for something, or just looking? I also read somewhere that 80% of records purchased in the US. They don't own a turntable. So what is it at the end of the day that Americans want. Buzz Haze Dale whoever can't know that. So they are just doing what is obviously making them money. Otherwise they would have changed

PepsiMike

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 26, 2023, 05:48:27 PM
The whole AmRep set-up is subpar on many levels. We saw that with BMR and we're seeing it again now. Great for limited runs but for proper releases it's just a mess.
This hot take is mind boggling wrong. Haze is doing an amazing job with current releases. I think without Haze and what he brings to the Melvins table, we wouldn't be seeing the majority of the recent Amrep releases, in any form. There's a reason why he doesn't mess with high volume releases, through typical distribution channels, that I think you're overlooking.

John Schuller

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 26, 2023, 06:04:28 PM
Quote from: John Schuller on June 26, 2023, 05:48:52 PM
I think that is precisely the case and Buzz has often stated as such. Also i don't think he is too precious about any of it. I find that quite jarring - he says he works hard on the music but then doesn't seem to get too bogged down in how it's going to be released. I also think you are wise to see the value in physical music, i wouldn't be surprised at all if what you mentioned DOES come to pass and music history gets one large online EDIT. Maybe not but who wants to take the chance. I don't trust them.

Quote from: John Schuller on June 26, 2023, 05:51:48 PM
I agree! It's really nailed it home to me looking through the King Gizzard bandcamp page - loads of records that mostly had a proper physical release by their own label and then the digital live albums also presented together all under one roof in chronological order. Nothing shunned or shunted off to the side and neglected. A lot of bands may disagree but to me that is the way to do these things. See it as a body of work. But like i said i know for older bands that dabbled with a lot of different labels that can't always be done.

Hell yeah! I love the way King Gizzard does it - early recordings, demos, live recordings, studio albums - all in one easy spot! With Melvins, we might have to wait until whomever ends up in charge of the catalog once they sell it (please never!) or once they kick the bucket (please never!).

John Schuller

Quote from: #2 Pencil on June 26, 2023, 06:08:27 PM
You've both made points that Buzz has rebelled against constantly and spoken about on numerous occasions. Masses, fans, corporate whatever you want to label it. THEY are doing what THEY want. No one else. And it must be working or they wouldn't continue. What was his words?
When you do what they want or expect you're trying to know how they want it. Or something like that.
The whole getting up at 3am to buy the stuff, hope I snag one, find someone to pick it up at a show and post it to me in Aus. I have to go out of my way for it. Like Buzz did when he was a kid. He doesn't want it on some site where anyone can just have it at their finger tips. I dig the rush looking back most of the time. Like crate digging at a second hand store. Who knows what you'll find, but are you looking for something, or just looking? I also read somewhere that 80% of records purchased in the US. They don't own a turntable. So what is it at the end of the day that Americans want. Buzz Haze Dale whoever can't know that. So they are just doing what is obviously making them money. Otherwise they would have changed

I love that they do everything the way they want (and really the way they would want things if they were a fan, as Buzz has said many times). I love the collecting, I love the rush of the hunt (and scoring a copy of the latest record!). But, I also love having everything all in one spot - which is why I keep collecting and collecting.

Holy shit - 80% of records are purchased by people that do not own a turntable? Fuck. Makes sense actually! Almost every time I am at Amoeba there is some dumb kid looking to buy one of the suitcase Crosley turntables to play their new badass 180G Remastered Reissue pressing on. It's like damn, kid, that record is gonna cost you $40 and you are gonna play it on an $80 record player? Yikes!

John Schuller

Quote from: PepsiMike on June 26, 2023, 08:04:47 PM
Quote from: ))))(((( on June 26, 2023, 05:48:27 PM
The whole AmRep set-up is subpar on many levels. We saw that with BMR and we're seeing it again now. Great for limited runs but for proper releases it's just a mess.
This hot take is mind boggling wrong. Haze is doing an amazing job with current releases. I think without Haze and what he brings to the Melvins table, we wouldn't be seeing the majority of the recent Amrep releases, in any form. There's a reason why he doesn't mess with high volume releases, through typical distribution channels, that I think you're overlooking.

I think Haze is rocking it! I still look at my Endless Residency Box Set art and just say....damn, this is badass.

amazonAMAZON

Changed long post to:
Collecting is fun.
Buy or don't.
Rudimentary Peni rules.
Rudimentary Peni discography rules, too
I love Melvins.
Melvins make things I like and buy.
Thank God it's not loot crates.
Buy or don't buy
Be considerate and make it happen.
Yeah! Ambient B-Sides CD FTW. And LP if you got it fast in Detroit on the Internet or wherever.
Honky and that one should be on Spotify. Prick and Singles can remain hard to find.
Sometimes there's only YouTube and what you buy and save.

But also for the record fuck DC Shoes. That unreleased-album-for-hype shit is insulting. DC Shoes is not a band. They have no fucking business withholding some rad music for clout. Y'all can suck my gnarled dick and burn your plastic ass shoes. I hope all those bands re-record their tunes and put it up on Bandcamp with some other company's shoe as the jpg. I want my "Into the Void" goddammit we waited forty fucking years for that one.

Bigval

I tend to agree with Ian but at the end of the day if a band wants to make their albums unattainable for the average joe that's their business.

I've got no issue with the little rinky dink vinyl EP's going through AmRep but proper albums like BMR is different. According to Shoxop the CD version of BMR is now sold out, probably unlikely to ever do another run I suspect, effectively deleting the album less than 12 months after it's release. That's not good. It's not good for the fans who missed out like me that aren't willing to pay $40+ for a copy through Ebay nor is it good for any future Melvins fan as that will effectively become a 'lost album'.

I can't imagine it's great business for the band either. Sure they're trying to keep their overheads down by not being left with boxes of CD's they can't sell but it's at the expense of the fans which is where having such a conservative financial view as Buzz does now intersects with pissing off the very people that help to put food on his table.

It's never a great idea to take the mickey/piss out of your fans gouging the diehards with little limited art vinyls is one thing but now making the actual proper albums effectively limited edition releases draws a new line in the sand. I don't know what kind of business relationship breakdown has gone on between Buzz and Ipecac, if any, clearly they still have some relationship with the Bungle/Melvins Ipecac Geek Shows but not giving BMR  mainstream release or even a digital release is a bit of a short-sighted decision that can achieve only one thing and that's shrink the Melvins fan base further.

If Buzz has crunched the numbers and thinks that's a good way to go good luck to them but don't be surprised if some longtime fan's interest like mine starts to wane.