The Bulls & The Bees

Started by MrLuck87, December 13, 2011, 11:41:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bigval

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 22, 2020, 08:10:59 PM
Just listening to this one again. Ignoring my previous comment from a few years ago above, this is a great modern Melvins release!

I knew you would come around eventually! I only listened to this again last week and it still makes me shake my head how good it is.

jonE5

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 22, 2020, 08:10:59 PM
Just listening to this one again. Ignoring my previous comment from a few years ago above, this is a great modern Melvins release! It flows together so, so well. Goodness i wish this had been a full album - far too much cool stuff going on to tuck it away as an EP that more casual fans may well never explore or hear about. Add 20 minutes and stick 4 more songs on here and it would have been a fabulous end to the BB era. I always remember some of the negativity here when we first heard 'The War On Wisdom', now that stands as a fine slice of Melvinsness! As does the rest too. Not that dissimilar to the previous Big Melvins records either really when one reflects back.

I think one of the reasons that it resonates so well and will hold up as  being close to perfect is that it  is an EP and leaves you wanting more (less is more). Loved this when it came out and still do. It's glorious and flows perfect.
I hope some day that they tour with BB again. That band would leave anyone with their jaw on the floor.
(or as Dale so perfectly said in Colossus of Destiny "This band will put your dick in the dirt"  :lol: )

))))((((

I often wonder why this was never fleshed out into a full length LP rather then the EP. A lot of Melvins records tend to be around 40 minutes in duration and at 23 minutes long it wouldn't have needed much to make this into a proper album. The fact it has some great songs on this is a bit disheartening too because as an EP it probably isn't as prominent in their discography as it would have been if it were an LP. I wonder if it was a Scion decision for it to be an EP or whether Buzz just didn't have any other songs at the time and simply felt like recording something shorter.

PepsiMike

It seems likely that there will be an art edition for this release soon.