Moho 29th May in Sunny Manchester

Started by kebabstavros, May 29, 2012, 09:21:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kebabstavros

Afternoon guys, I have a spare ticket going for the gig in Manchester tomorrow if anybody's interested send me a PM would be a huge help.
'Jack Dee, with your face like a neglected radish, like a cowboy's crack, like a forgotten tunnel.... a doomed horse'

jules

:? :?

Just got back fom London, saw this thread and immediately panicked thinking I'd come home a day late.

#-o

jules

Moho Live is situated right in the centre of Manchester, next door to Affleck's Palace which, if you've ever been to Manchester, you'll have visited. My hotel was within spasming distance from the venue AND the train station so absolutely nothing could go wrong.

Got there a bit early on the cheapest train from London and hung around outside the venue in the rapidly alternating sunshine and showers (aaaah! Manchester! How I've missed you!). This paid off eventually as Buzz recognised me from pestering him in Brighton and we chatted for a bit. Mostly about the upcoming tours. The September tour dates will be announced just after Freak Puke is released so hopefully we won't have too much longer to wait.

The venue itself is a wee bit of a nightmare unless you're right at the front. The stage looks as though it's actually lower than the dancefloor and there are pillars and staircases all over the place to further impede ones view. I smeared myself in chip fat and was able to slide easily from the back to the front in a matter of seconds, though. I was lucky.

Melvins played in the "In-Line, 4-Cylinder" pattern tonight. Buzz, Coady, Dale and Jared all in line right at the front of a really narrow stage. Anyone behind me probably didn't see the drummers, though, because they semed so low.

The sound was loud, but not crushing as it had been in Brighton. Or it may be that I've lost a bit of hearing since Monday, eh? Jared didn't have any trouble with his bass this time, although he did need a mic lead replacing at one point (just in time, too!).

Same set as before, 85 minutes of total, total awesome.

Set list:

Dog Island
Lysol
Water Glass
Evil New War God
Manky
History of Bad Men
Youth of America
A Growing Disgust
War on Wisdom
We Are Doomed
Friends Before Larry
A Really Long Wait
National Hamster
The Bit
Outro

Scott and I are becoming friendly. There may be a child on the way after our next meeting. Which will be Monday at Unsane/Big Biz on the 60th anniversary of something or other in London. Balls to the monarchy, viva la musika!

black stallion

Quote from: jules on May 31, 2012, 01:08:25 AM

I'll elaborate more when I get home - this phone's too fiddly!

did you elaborate?

when you're ready can you post about what was your favourite of these melvins shows too? thanks
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

maffymaff

Last night was loud, sweaty, punishing and epic.
I have to say that was the best I've seen them for quite a while. There's was more noise sprinkled through the set. And you know you're on to a winner when Youth of America is played!
The new tunes fit in really nicely with the older stuff. They've certainly spruced up the set list!

In short, two thumbs up!

jules

Quote from: black stallion on May 31, 2012, 05:54:08 AM
did you elaborate?
Yes.

Quote from: black stallion on May 31, 2012, 05:54:08 AM
when you're ready can you post about what was your favourite of these melvins shows too? thanks
I'm ready now  :D  Thanks for waiting!

I thought the ATP show was the worst soundwise because of the huge hall they were playing in. This was offset by meeting seven Boardies and one Boredie which was just bloody stunning!

The Brighton show was by far the loudest, crushingly, painfully so, which gets a thumbs-up, and it is also where I live. Watching the soundcheck was brilliant and seeing Oldernie get his Fetus signed was hilarious.

The Manchester gig had the best crowd EVER. If you take away the assholes from the Brighton show, you have the Manchester audience. Lots of movement, nothing crazy and smiles all round. This is very true of England in a social aspect, too. I expect Manchester has it's fair share of assholes, it's just that from my experience, they're friendlier up there.

I hung around the merch stall for 90 minutes before the show with their merch guy. He's from Bristol and actually runs the Croft bar that Melvins played at on the first show. I'm going to be plugging him (in a nice way) soon, as he's just starting a label ("Greasy Truckers") - vinyl only, I believe, and may start off with some very rare Heads recordings. Top man. When his website's up and running, you'll all get to hear about it.

He says the only mistake that was made this tour was that Melvins didn't play TWO shows at the Croft. It is 150 capacity and sold out in 20 minutes. They had time to play two shows as they were there two nights. And, to make matters worse, if we'd shown up on the night hoping to get in, we would have. 15 people had bought tickets and hadn't showed up. Grrr.

azathoth rising

Where were you standing at the Brighton gig Jules? Just curious if I saw you at all, I wouldn't know you but I might recall.

jules

Quote from: azathoth rising on May 31, 2012, 09:55:13 AM
Where were you standing at the Brighton gig Jules? Just curious if I saw you at all, I wouldn't know you but I might recall.
I was right at the front, on the left, in front of Buzz, standing behind two women, with my arm on the rail to prevent further damage (it was getting a bit hectic behind me). To my left was a guy with a camera who knew one of the women and was making sure she wasn't pulverised; to my right was the bloke in the hat with the rucksack. A fucking hat and a rucksack. Maybe he'd come to see Gogol Bordello or something. Presumably he'd left his unicycle in the foyer.

I feel we were close.

azathoth rising

Quote from: jules on May 31, 2012, 10:11:24 AM
Quote from: azathoth rising on May 31, 2012, 09:55:13 AM
I was right at the front, on the left, in front of Buzz, standing behind two women, with my arm on the rail to prevent further damage (it was getting a bit hectic behind me). To my left was a guy with a camera who knew one of the women and was making sure she wasn't pulverised; to my right was the bloke in the hat with the rucksack. A fucking hat and a rucksack. Maybe he'd come to see Gogol Bordello or something. Presumably he'd left his unicycle in the foyer.

I feel we were close.

:lol:

We were close! I was standing right next to the two women, on the left. I was the short-arse in a Lustmord t-shirt.

jules

Quote from: )))((( on May 31, 2012, 01:57:24 PM
Quote from: jules on May 31, 2012, 09:26:24 AM
one Boredie which was just bloody stunning!
Is that Mrs Holiday again? Please tell more!  :love:
Was referring to Lewis (SL) from the AmRep Bored. Sorry.

*edit* - Maybe Boardie's partners should be categorised, though. You have a point. What should we call them?

FartLips

Quote from: )))((( on May 31, 2012, 02:00:03 PM
Quote from: jules on May 31, 2012, 01:59:41 PM
:(
you should have known since it was not all ages.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

oldernie

Quote from: )))((( on May 31, 2012, 02:00:03 PM
Quote from: jules on May 31, 2012, 01:59:41 PM
:(

and here i was thinking you was talking about me
"To be honest i've kind of gone off the band a bit now. I just like to hang out on here because of everyone else."
-jules from brighton quoting - Ian from Staffs.