Buzz still has no love for Love

Started by spunkmonkey, May 22, 2009, 02:05:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dumpster D

Butthreats of harm is a a fucking AMAZING bandname!!!  :lol:

Even Just Butthreats is pretty sweet!

bionicanchovy

From Revolver magazine...

"I really can't remember the first time i met Kurt. I had a bunch of classes in school with him. I remember him as having a really amazing, dark, black sense of humor. He would do stuff like draw teachers having things happen to them, that looked just like the teachers, you know? i remember when we were in high school, one of them was a Pac-Man game that included all the teachers we had, being eaten by the Pac-Man - but it was far more vicious. We weren't big socialites in the high school scene, believe it or not. We grew up in a highly depressing, oppressive environment. And ultimately, that kind of thinking, that kind of upbringing led to his death. It's like being in a straightjacket. It was hopeless and pointless. You wanna get the real story of what motivated him? i remember when I took him to his first punk rock concert, which was  Black Flag. I really put him over the edge. I mean, once you see something like that, an extraordinary good show...I just remember him saying,  "That's exactly what I want to do. That's it. This is me." We played music together all the time: me, him, Krist Novoselic, and Dale. That's why Dale ended up playing with Nirvana. Kurt wasn't a very good guitar player, but it really didn't make much difference. What he could do was put two chords together wich a vocal melody in a way that people liked. Technical ability rarely has anything to do with making music. I was there at the very last show Nirvana played, which was the last time I saw him. He wasn't happy. The very last thing he ever said to me was, "I should just be doing this solo." At that last show, i told him to leave, get out, run. He needed to get off drugs. If he wasn't on drugs, none of that would've happened. Kurt, he could've had a future, he could've turned his life around, and he would've been a wonderful person. It wouldn't have been easy, but he could have done it. I would've preferred that. That or no success whatsoever. I would be far happier if he had never had one iota of success and was alive. The music and all that stuff means nothing to me above and beyond that. I'm sorry but I refuse to be one of those people who say, "It was great." I don't feel that way. And it offends me when people try to make it like that. This is not a happy story. He's dead and gone and over. And I'm not over it."

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=14692.0
"I'm forever near a stereo saying, 'What the fuck is this GARBAGE?' And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers." - Nick Cave

(the) Razor

That was nice of Buzz. I enjoyed reading that.
Don't click this

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

FantoMANKY

More comments about Kurt and Nirvana from this months issue of Guitar World where Buzz answers some questions from readers.  Sorry if this was already posted someplace else.

Q: I've heard stories that Kurt Cobain used to roadie for the Melvins when you were first starting out in Washington.  Is that true, and when did you first Meet Kurt? 

Buzz:  I knew Kurt since he was in little league.  We lived in a very small town and we went to school together, even though he was a few years younger than me.  What originally attracted me to him was his dark sense of humor.  We were kindred spirits.  We'd sit in art class and he'd draw perfect representations of the art teacher being killed.  We'd laugh our asses off.  People don't understand that he was a funny motherfucker.  He was not just some down, dour drug addict.  Nobody laughed more than Kurt, and we had great times together.
  I always think it's funny that people say he roadied for us.  Look at him!  He couldn't lift himself out of bed.  You think he could roadie for someone?  But we all hung out a lot.  [Nirvana bassist] Krist Novoselic drove for us for a while.  But roadie?  We didn't have a roadie.  I didn't even know what a roadie was until 1990.  In order to hire someone to roadie you have to be making money.  The first time we made money was in 1988, and that was $200.  If we would go to Seattle and play a show and make $160, maybe we'd all go buy everyone a burrito.  That's it.  There was no money.
  And people also say Kurt tried out for the Melvins.  Yeah, right.  I've never had tryouts for this band, ever.  I can't imagine doing that.  We all jammed and played together back then.  It was hopeless and stupid and horrific and mind numbing.  There are happy memories, but in the end it's a tragedy.  I can't rewrite history in such a way that makes me feel good about it.  Honestly, I wish Kurt would have never become famous and was still alive.  I don't give a fucking shit about any of that [success].  If that hastened his death, it's the worst thing that could have happened.

Satchel Paige

Quote from: FantoMANKY on June 18, 2013, 04:49:33 AM
More comments about Kurt and Nirvana from this months issue of Guitar World where Buzz answers some questions from readers.  Sorry if this was already posted someplace else.

Q: I've heard stories that Kurt Cobain used to roadie for the Melvins when you were first starting out in Washington.  Is that true, and when did you first Meet Kurt? 

Buzz:  I knew Kurt since he was in little league.  We lived in a very small town and we went to school together, even though he was a few years younger than me.  What originally attracted me to him was his dark sense of humor.  We were kindred spirits.  We'd sit in art class and he'd draw perfect representations of the art teacher being killed.  We'd laugh our asses off.  People don't understand that he was a funny motherfucker.  He was not just some down, dour drug addict.  Nobody laughed more than Kurt, and we had great times together.
  I always think it's funny that people say he roadied for us.  Look at him!  He couldn't lift himself out of bed.  You think he could roadie for someone?  But we all hung out a lot.  [Nirvana bassist] Krist Novoselic drove for us for a while.  But roadie?  We didn't have a roadie.  I didn't even know what a roadie was until 1990.  In order to hire someone to roadie you have to be making money.  The first time we made money was in 1988, and that was $200.  If we would go to Seattle and play a show and make $160, maybe we'd all go buy everyone a burrito.  That's it.  There was no money.
  And people also say Kurt tried out for the Melvins.  Yeah, right.  I've never had tryouts for this band, ever.  I can't imagine doing that.  We all jammed and played together back then.  It was hopeless and stupid and horrific and mind numbing.  There are happy memories, but in the end it's a tragedy.  I can't rewrite history in such a way that makes me feel good about it.  Honestly, I wish Kurt would have never become famous and was still alive.  I don't give a fucking shit about any of that [success].  If that hastened his death, it's the worst thing that could have happened.

is there a copy of the gw interview here?