The Electric Roach + Five Legged Tour 2022

Started by blewis, April 12, 2022, 08:48:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

PepsiMike

Thanks for the video! Do you work at rubber gloves?

Bad Guy Zero

Quote from: PepsiMike on October 25, 2022, 10:21:38 AM
Thanks for the video! Do you work at rubber gloves?

I do not. I'm a long-time friend of Buzz and Dale.

))))((((

Quote from: Bad Guy Zero on October 24, 2022, 04:49:21 PM
Here's some video from yesterday's soundcheck...
I find it interesting seeing a band soundcheck. Seeing them perform the songs without the showiness. Just playing them. It always looks extra weird with Melvins too since Buzz never has the mumu on for soundchecks. Whilst Steven definitely seems to dress down in his comfy gear. Do the band perform the whole set at soundcheck or just a few songs? I imagine for bands having to play the songs again just for the soundcheck is a real pain in the ass.

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on October 25, 2022, 01:56:32 PM
Quote from: Bad Guy Zero on October 24, 2022, 04:49:21 PM
Here's some video from yesterday's soundcheck...
I find it interesting seeing a band soundcheck. Seeing them perform the songs without the showiness. Just playing them. It always looks extra weird with Melvins too since Buzz never has the mumu on for soundchecks. Whilst Steven definitely seems to dress down in his comfy gear. Do the band perform the whole set at soundcheck or just a few songs? I imagine for bands having to play the songs again just for the soundcheck is a real pain in the ass.

Just a few songs. sometimes it's a good chance for the band to jam.you can hear Dale and Steven jamming on a Stones song at the end of HOBM
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Nizamark

the steven-non-enjoyers would have been bummed by his antics at the hometown lodge room show. his manic energy definitely spilled over to the rest of the band, with buzz really getting his steps in stalking the stage and dale coming out from behind the kit to fellate the bass headstock. i've been a bit of a setlist whiner, wondering why they don't mix things up more, but on saturday it became pretty clear why they play the same set every night: tightness. after like 100 dates or whatever, they were sooooo fuckin locked in. incredible show. the venue is great and the room mix was pretty perfect. the band seemed to be having a ball. and the halloween crowd was hyped. place went off.  there were at least two buzzo costumes in the crowd, including one woman in a homemade muumuu who said she wasn't wearing a wig but had buzzo-ed out her own hair. her boyfriend was dressed like steven mcdonald and they were both carrying inflatable guitars. it was pretty cute.  great great great night.  good seeing sadcorps as always

amazonAMAZON

Indeed it was a great night. Buzz sounded vintage pissed off. Can't believe he can keep his voice night to night, but I guess bellowing with some snarl isn't as tough as a lot of extreme singing. But itso much more convincing.

I agree with Nizamark in that the venue was well run, the sound was clear (much more so than for the opening bands) which is likely also due to the Melvins being dialed in.

Sorry I again didn't take pictures of the merch booth. They had a 200$ 4LP special FLD set. They had both $5 cheapy CDs and $30 limited letterpress, lots of Honky, Basses Loaded, Gluey, but also a large variety of everything 2016 and prior - Crystal Fairy, Shitkid, Redd Kross, Electroretard, and more I can't recall.

There were posters of the gig for $10 - a 5LD promo 10x10 that had been screen or stenciled over with a giant skull? Not sure, enticing but I had already loaded up.

This time me I largely kept my eyes on Buzz. Steven sounds better when I don't watch him perhaps, or maybe I was just on that side of the stage and Buzz was electric.

"Sacrifice" crushed. I have no complaints about Steven's parts there now. I think it got better since the beginning of this tour

The antics during"The Bit" were corny as fuck. But oh well. By that point I could have amputated my leg and it would have still been a good night.

A rather loquacious man near me said he had flown down from Washington since the rates were so cheap and had seen the Melvins 18 times or something and rarely in such an intimate space. I wanted to ask afterwards but didn't run into the guy again. Maybe he's here? Anyway, money well spent. "History" was impeccable. The first six tunes are flawless. Guitar had that bite all night. "Mr. Dog" and "Never Say" were tighter than in Long Beach this past spring/summer.

vince furnier

Quote from: Nizamark on October 31, 2022, 12:53:39 PM
but on saturday it became pretty clear why they play the same set every night: tightness. after like 100 dates or whatever, they were sooooo fuckin locked in.
conversely, i was watching Jerry Garcia's final interview and he said they had a rotation of 200 songs they switched around every set. take that for what you will. :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

Afterbirthmilkshake

Quote from: vince furnier on November 01, 2022, 08:29:14 AM
but on saturday it became pretty clear why they play the same set every night: tightness. after like 100 dates or whatever, they were sooooo fuckin locked in.
conversely, i was watching Jerry Garcia's final interview and he said they had a rotation of 200 songs they switched around every set. take that for what you will. :lol:

I'd like to see them try that approach for one tour. I'd definitely travel to see multiple shows. I don't know if would work out or not, but I'd be willing to be along for the ride.

vince furnier

Quote from: Afterbirthmilkshake on November 02, 2022, 11:29:25 PM

I'd like to see them try that approach for one tour. I'd definitely travel to see multiple shows. I don't know if would work out or not, but I'd be willing to be along for the ride.
ever heard the residency shows with full albums played? some of those tracks that had never been played live or were retired years before sounded a bit.....unpolished.  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

amazonAMAZON

Yeah, jam bands "knowing" a song is 1/1000th of having "It's Shoved" outro or "Honey Bucket" intro in a passable rehearsed state.

Afterbirthmilkshake

Quote from: vince furnier on November 02, 2022, 11:35:04 PM

ever heard the residency shows with full albums played? some of those tracks that had never been played live or were retired years before sounded a bit.....unpolished.  :lol:

I went to the ones in Chicago Where they played the whole albums for two nights. there were some unpolished moments but  loved it.

vince furnier

Quote from: Afterbirthmilkshake on November 04, 2022, 12:37:04 AM

I went to the ones in Chicago Where they played the whole albums for two nights. there were some unpolished moments but  loved it.
i'm jealous of that. they'd never do that kind of a set here.  :lol:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Afterbirthmilkshake

Quote from: vince furnier on November 04, 2022, 06:15:21 AM
Quote from: Afterbirthmilkshake on November 04, 2022, 12:37:04 AM

i'm jealous of that. they'd never do that kind of a set here.  :lol:

I'm closer to St. Louis, But Chicago has good luck for Melvins shows. They also played special shows there on their 25th anniversary (with a Melvins 83 set and a Buzz/Dale only set) and a free Halloween show last year which ended up being their first time out since covid. They also used to have pre show wiffle ball games vs. the staff of the Double Door when it was still open (RIP DD)

Every trip was worth it.

But any city they play beats living in a place where bands never ever go.