Across The USA in 51 Days : The Movie!

Started by Idlehanz, September 16, 2015, 02:03:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(the) Razor

Well it fooled me, this was the same band that went through two earthquakes a few years ago!
Don't click this

(the) flutter nuts

Just got a shipping notice email from mercheye
I got the shits real bad.

butter08

I still haven't. I wish I went with amazon.

(PAUL)

Quote from: butter08 on November 30, 2015, 05:48:13 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. And Merchaye's address is 32 minutes from where I live  :x
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

(the) Razor

Mine is arriving Friday. All Friday plans will be cancelled!!! Melvin's new material takes precedence
Don't click this

Satchel Paige

I received confro on Saturday. Hope it gets here before Friday (the ol lady's bday)

bUTTHOLEmAN

Quote from: (PAUL) on November 30, 2015, 06:45:46 PM

I'm thinking the same thing. And Merchaye's address is 32 minutes from where I live  :x
oof.
if you CALL ME ON MY CELLY
i'll LET YOU RUB ME BELLY!

"I can push over twelve year old girls easy." - Fart
kill yr idols
emperors wear no clothes
"We don't have alot of information right now, but for all we know monkeys might fly out of my butt"- rictus

BERZERKER

I`ve ordered via Amazon US, 8-15 delivery days.

immoraliste

It's on my christmas list! Guaranteed gift exchange win.

(PAUL)

Quote from: bUTTHOLEmAN on November 30, 2015, 11:38:54 PM
Quote from: (PAUL) on November 30, 2015, 06:45:46 PM

oof.
Well it says it's at my mailbox so it should be all good now.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

John Schuller

Got it the day it came out. Loved it!!!!

Chief Ten Beers

Just sat down & watched it. Great lil' flick for the price. So much going on, you wish every segment was longer of course. The film is a little fucked technically if you watch it on a old-style 27" TV screen. The names on the screen in the menu & beginning for instance stretch beyond the screen size, & there's no adjustment like there is if you are watching TV on an analog signal. l I guess you have to have a modern big-screen LED TV in order to see the full picture.

(the) Razor

Melvins is truly a rare and exceptional achievement in modern filmmaking in that it manages to be new, fresh, hip, and exciting without ever tiring its audience out.  If you are open-minded, creative, and alert, you'll definitely appreciate and get a kick out of this disaster film. If you're walking into this without the desire to participate and actively analyze the mysterious details - it will have you covered too because this film is ACTION.  Frame for frame this film screams Michael Bay but somehow also manages to avoid any worn out cliches often seen in other disaster films and said infamous director. Seeing CGI is enough to wring out any childhood fantasy from anybody (not just boys from the 80s) and watching the large scale destruction of the world from the evil Space Invaders is a revelation to what is possible with modern visual effects. Whether it's tornadoes, nuclear holocausts or meteors, this alone makes the film compete on a highly adrenaline fueled level and unlike the other blockbusters that have came out this year, these effects have a sense of weight that adds so much to the visual satisfaction.

The special effects and majority of the action is over in the first half of the movie however this isn't a major issue as this movie is backed strongly with a sprawling cast (with the exception of the lead character King Buzzo who was inappropriately cast with someone who looks nothing like the intended real life character that this was based on). Dunn, however was excellently cast and whether it was prosthetics or clever use of CGI, it is uncanny how much the actor looks like the person he is supposed to play. Not least of all the Crover character plays an integral part in selling the reality of the invasion and also carries an easy likability factor. The scene where the group almost drive off leaving him stranded at the hotel, as he comes out with his arms waving about, is truly a captivating moment in film history and showcases extreme prowess and screen presence as he blurs the lines between comedy and sheer terror in what can only be described as a powerhouse and master class in acting. The supporting cast does an excellent job bringing some interest to the rest of the characters too.

Due to the non-linear nature of the film, the voice over plays an integral part and does an overall superb job tying the complicated story line together. Melvins exhibits has an impressive set of exotic locations from Omaha to Honolulu and frequently jumps around form city to city and state to state (all 51 of them actually) which is evidently needed to truly show off the grand scale of the incoming apocalypse and invasion caused by the evil Space Invaders. The sudden cuts and frequent change of scenery between key scenes also help keeps the action high and suspense tight and audiences guessing in this gutsy disaster film.

Overall, Melvins delivers where it really matters and the memento-esque non-linear sequence (the Space Invaders invasion happens in the first 10 minutes) is an interesting reversal on the standard formula often employed by major hollywood pictures. With truly original cinematography, Melvins is an instant classic due to its groundbreaking narrative style and impressive dramatic undertones. For those jaded moviegoers who seek something to keep them awake, interested, and constantly thinking, there couldn't be a better choice than this film.

9/10 stars. I would have given this 10/10 if it wasn't for the inappropriate casting of the lead character.
Don't click this

Bro Hammer

I watched it last night and I was laughing so hard. I really love the way Buzz and Dale narrate like it's a cheesy reality show and the cheap phone app "cgi" effects are hilarious. It's exactly what I expected only better. Best $16 spent in awhile. All the shots of Trevor playing beautiful music in front of gross industrial backgrounds...There is a lot to take in with this flick. Tons of visual jokes going on, some of which I didn't catch on until after the segment. Unlike some of the predictions of others I will definitely be watching this again and probably again and then again.