MELVINS - WORKING WITH GOD (NEW ALBUM!!!!!!!)

Started by Stonergrunge, November 12, 2020, 11:24:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

black stallion

Quote from: (the) Razor on April 28, 2021, 07:08:48 AM
I didn't like a single song on it.

Oh well.

wow, that was surprising. what's the problem, recycled riffs?
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

jules

I want a WWG CD with an "explicit" sticker on it. Where should I find one? Where would still try and religiously sanitise music? I'm guessing North Carolina still........is Tipper still active?

dead mike

Quote from: jules on April 30, 2021, 07:36:41 AM
I want a WWG CD with an "explicit" sticker on it. Where should I find one? Where would still try and religiously sanitise music? I'm guessing North Carolina still........is Tipper still active?
Portland. It's a different religion, though.
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

jules

Quote from: dead mike on April 30, 2021, 07:47:40 AM
The Maine one, then? I'm an ignorant foreigner, but the one in OR looked like the last bar before Hell when I was there. In a good way.

dead mike

Quote from: jules on April 30, 2021, 07:51:12 AM
Quote from: dead mike on April 30, 2021, 07:47:40 AM
The Maine one, then? I'm an ignorant foreigner, but the one in OR looked like the last bar before Hell when I was there. In a good way.
They burned down the bar last summer.

Portland, Maine, is nice. Some good breweries, plus lobstah rolls stacked up to your nipples.
Can you all shut your damn cocks for one second? Music is the only thing that's real in this queef world of dildo ass chodes.

- hemispheres

vince furnier

Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

(the) Razor

Quote from: black stallion on April 29, 2021, 12:41:05 PM
Quote from: (the) Razor on April 28, 2021, 07:08:48 AM
I didn't like a single song on it.

Oh well.

wow, that was surprising. what's the problem, recycled riffs?

Just find it ironic Buzz always bagged out Rolling Stones for going on too long...

Melvins had a nice run from 1983-2006 IMO with a few highlights every now and then thereafter.

Maybe they can do a Bowie, come out with a "Blackstar" one day  :lol:.

(Don't care what the sycophants have to say, been listening to Melvins for decades - just my opinion! )
Don't click this

#2 Pencil

I too am a long time fan, but also believe they are just releasing everything recorded as they know it will sell. I also remember Buzz doing a review on his favourite releases from the Melvins and when he said Eggnog, spoke of his fascination for this short EP format, but the record companies don't like them. This is what Working with God should have been. Even someone here (sorry don't recall who) said this and made an abridged version. I also agree with that edit. Just do the short format you like. I get the joke stuff happens, but that's soundcheck shit. Wagyu brisket still has some fat to trim.
I heard their periods attract bears

#2 Pencil

Hot Fish also doesn't belong here, tbh.
It was with Flipper on that EP. That's where it belonged.
I could then live with the other stuff. Or just release the amrep/joke recordings like they did the singles 1-12. A double CD thingy at the end of each year with all the amrep eps/singles plus outtakes studio mess arounds. Keep the "releases" tight

black stallion

although i enjoy this album, i can see what you guys mean. sometimes (especially after the Big Biz era of the band) i have the feeling Melvins releases  have more to do with a collection of songs than with a proper cohesive album. probably  the fact that they have their own studio and they can record whatever they want at every time doesn't help. it seems they have stuff recorded in different sessions and they assemble them together. anyway, i still love them and must say this WWG album has some great songs on it
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

Quote from: black stallion on May 01, 2021, 03:39:31 AM
the fact that they have their own studio and they can record whatever they want at every time doesn't help. it seems they have stuff recorded in different sessions and they assemble them together.
That does appear to be exactly how they are working now. I remember them saying 'Everybody Loves Sausages' and 'Basses Loaded' were both made from material they had that wasn't recorded specifically for an intended album.

#2 Pencil

I don't think having your own studio at your disposal or making an album/release up from multiple sessions is a disadvantage or problem. It's more deciding what actually is fit for what purpose. I mean back in the day bands knew what was a b-side or an outtake. Hell sometimes they even got it wrong. If anything being able to record the full track rather than putting it to a boom box recording for it later to be demoed could also be more hassle. Just set out a track list, then cut the low points out. Everything needs the right flow, even if it means what you think is a strong track. Maybe it stands on its own as a single.

el gep

I do think there is a flow.
It's a kind of "back to the future" concept, with retro stuff introducing the whole thing and then the two other covers that respond to this introduction, in a very sarcastic and mean way. And in between you've got some strange retro-sci-fi thrash-rock. This is coherent!

And well you know an album can also just be a collection of songs, that doesn't annoy me. If the songs are good... and here they do are good.

el gep