Quick Melvins lyrics question

Started by al27, December 10, 2006, 09:47:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunica

I'm offended by letters. Its like they want to eat my leg. They make me get nightmares.
i don't have a square to spare. can't spare a square.

al27

Quote from: CaptainPungent on December 12, 2006, 08:04:32 PM
how can you figure there is going to be political stuff on the jelvins album but not cursing?

I didn't say that there wasn't going to be cursing, I imagined that there probably is.

I say that because of Jello's work with DK, its deliberately controversial.  Whether he's always serious about the messages he puts in his work, Jello seems to want to stir people up.  And he is very political.  Thats why I assumed there would be similar content in the work he had done with the Melvins.  If I'm wrong, I'm sorry.

I'm sorry if I got you guys all worked up over this, my point in posting the question is simply this:

I thought this was, like, Melvins lyrics HQ.  I then realized that those albums weren't on there.  This post simply asked, "why not?"

And since I now know that the lyrics are actually included with the album, once again, "Why not?"

It just seems to me that it would make the page that much more complete.

Thats all, nothing else.

-al27

Mad Arab

I don't like profanity either in lyrics or in normal conversation.  It's not close minded at all and words DO mean things. You will not find profanity in the bulk of Melvins material for capitalist reasons. Melvins lyrics are very interesting without mimicking the "rebel attitude" and the "fury" of topical pseudo-political singers or gangsta rappers using profanity in expressing their "outrage" with the way life seemingly is for them.

Idlehanz

Quote from: Joe Deutrom II on December 14, 2006, 09:06:06 PM
I don't like profanity either in lyrics or in normal conversation.  It's not close minded at all and words DO mean things. You will not find profanity in the bulk of Melvins material for capitalist reasons. Melvins lyrics are very interesting without mimicking the "rebel attitude" and the "fury" of topical pseudo-political singers or gangsta rappers using profanity in expressing their "outrage" with the way life seemingly is for them.

I believe George Carlin said, and I'm paraphrasing....." Words don't hurt people, it's the ideas behind the words"  I've no problem with cussing, and I actually believe a good f-bomb now and then is called for.  Cussing can add needed emotion to a conversation.  Don't get me wrong, I don't walk down the street screaming " Fuckadoodleshitplop!!" at the top of my lungs, I just think a good swear now and then doesn't hurt anybody.  In the right company of course.

norecess

I agree with the both of you, and of course am aware of the facts that people can have different interpretations of words than me. But it's still no reason for not to pick up a cd when it has offensive words on it, a cd is about the music, and the total piece of it, not just the words.

klump

I think its a bit funny since Jello fought the MPRC for a long time , and used a lot of time and money fighting for the right of speech...

that wich is offensive to you, might not be offensive for me.

I think cursewords often show a lack of lingo, but I think everyone shoud have the freedom to utter a word once a while (for more effect too).

but would you stop liking a song if you found out that there was a curseword in it?

I think censorship sometimes  equal sticking your head in the sand.

CaptainPungent

i'm glad there is someone on here hated more than me
how dare i try to defend you!

glen

Quote from: CaptainPungent on December 15, 2006, 10:08:19 AM
i'm glad there is someone on here hated more than me

cappy! have you met dog tired?
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

Lunica

And...! I guess the reason it wasn't posted here, is because we mainly use this as a forum to transcribe lyrics that aren't written down all over the place. When they already are, you can just get the CD and read if off the cover, right. Its much easier. Why would you be interested in reading the lyrics looking for cursewords if you don't even think its good enough to buy? Are you gonna print it out and pour whiteout all over it?

Sorry, I'm kinda bored :)
i don't have a square to spare. can't spare a square.

brian

The notion that a word like "shit" is more offensive than a word like "crap" or the word "fuck" is more offensive than the word "intercourse" in general is comical to me. I find that people who take issues with these sorts of things are often wrong about a great many other things which have been scientifically proven as otherwise.

Idlehanz

Quote from: brian on December 15, 2006, 11:52:35 AM
The notion that a word like "shit" is more offensive than a word like "crap" or the word "fuck" is more offensive than the word "intercourse" in general is comical to me. I find that people who take issues with these sorts of things are often wrong about a great many other things which have been scientifically proven as otherwise.

Bravo!

norecess

Quote from: Lunica on December 15, 2006, 11:17:14 AM

No shit! What did you expect? It's normal, very normal. You're not the first one. Let me explain this. When people will spend a weekend with me, they'll get bored afterwards. Not just a little, but extremely bored. It's a common side effect. You'll feel bored, depressing maybe, or even suicidal. I should've warned you before. Is klump doing OK? I would check if I was you,  after all, you're Norwegian, remember? It's in your genes!

Buzz just texted me he's feeling bored! Poor guy.

al27

Quote from: Lunica on December 15, 2006, 11:17:14 AM
And...! I guess the reason it wasn't posted here, is because we mainly use this as a forum to transcribe lyrics that aren't written down all over the place. When they already are, you can just get the CD and read if off the cover, right. Its much easier. Why would you be interested in reading the lyrics looking for cursewords if you don't even think its good enough to buy? Are you gonna print it out and pour whiteout all over it?

Okay, I see.  The Melvins lyrics page is there because the Melvins generally don't have their lyrics in the actual CD.  I got you, I understand.

As far as the lyrics being "written down all over the place," I actually can't find lyrics to the Jello/Melvins albums anywhere.  I was interested in taking a look at them, since I've been proven wrong regarding these things before, and I was thinking that maybe, just maybe, I would feel comfortable owning one, since I had heard they were really good albums.  But knowing Jello's past musical efforts (the DK stuff), I wouldn't just pick it up without actually having been able to take a look at the lyrical content first.

Then I realized that this board had a whole section regarding lyrics where everyone could post the lyrics to all the Melvins albums, but then I realized that the Jello Biafra ones weren't on there.

All I wanted to know was "why not?" and I got an answer to that, thank you.

Also, I'm sorry if I've given any of you the impression that I'm somehow close minded or judgemental about these things.  That was not my intent.  I don't mean to infringe on your right to listen to whatever you want just the same as I would ask you to respect my veiws on profanity even if you don't agree with them.  I'm very much a "live and let live" kind of guy, really I am.

That all said, is there any potentially "offensive" material on the Jello/Melvins albums?  Were my speculations correct?

-al27