Mike and the Melvins 2015

Started by Oscar, February 23, 2015, 02:09:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oscar

It makes sense to give this its own space.

Looks like it's really happening what with this Facebook post yesterday:

"Guess who finally showed up to finish recording!"

Oscar

That's probably what will happen. The release format, I mean.

I'm still curious as to how this will turn out - especially if the original intention can be carried into the finished product 10+ years after the fact.

Stonergrunge

Ok, I'm lost here because I don't know who is this guy Mike you're talking about.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

black stallion

Quote from: Stonergrunge on February 23, 2015, 02:56:48 PM
Ok, I'm lost here because I don't know who is this guy Mike you're talking about.

bassist from bass&drum duo GodHeadSilo,you should check them!

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 23, 2015, 02:13:57 PM
Anyway whatever happens i hope to god the band don't pull a typical Melvins move and split all the songs up and include them on different line up records

i hope not too!
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Oscar

Quote from: black stallion on February 23, 2015, 02:59:57 PM
Quote from: Stonergrunge on February 23, 2015, 02:56:48 PM

bassist from bass&drum duo GodHeadSilo,you should check them!

Mike Kunka got together with Buzz, Dale and Kevin Rutmanis in 2004(?) to record an album that allegedly featured three bass guitars.
The titles "Mike and the Melvins" and "Three Men and A Baby" were thrown around a bunch at that time.

The record was pretty much done, at least the Melvins had their parts in the can but unfortunately Kunka never finished his. Until now.

meezer

I don't think I'd ever heard of GodHeadSilo, before this rumor started up a few months back.
Hip me to some suggestions on the good(er) stuff.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

(PAUL)

Rumors of this album go back to at least 1999 when the Melvins talked about it on a radio program they did in Portland Maine. Supposably the song Wholly Buy Bull came from those sessions, but maybe they rerecorded it for Jello? And Share the Fantasy is cool, maybe check that one out, the only other one I've heard is Skyward in Triumph which I don't remember much about besides a bass "solo" that was just one note for something like 3 minutes on a song and the last song is a weird rap they do with Calvin Johnson of K Records fame.
Hail, not fail.
PS:  fuck him.

black stallion

Quote from: meezer on February 23, 2015, 03:23:23 PM
I don't think I'd ever heard of GodHeadSilo, before this rumor started up a few months back.
Hip me to some suggestions on the good(er) stuff.

drummer used to have a rack tom bigger than Dale's  =P~
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

brian

DC

Share the Fantasy is such an underrated album. They had that weird mix of heavy, weird, and sometimes, painfully beautiful in a fugly sort of way. Elephantitis of the Night is also good.

Enemymine was another band he was in, he played an 8 string bass, and there was another bass player and a drummer. Crunchy, crunchy shit.

brian

DC

You guys should all be seriously moist over this

Dumpster D

Of all the opening bands..I think I remember Seeing Dead low tide opening or something, but for the life of me cant remember where or what show.  #-o

Mesteren

To be afraid when you are alone, in the dark, faced with the unknown, the unspeakable; that is understandable fear. To be afraid, mortally afraid, in broad daylight, in a crowded city street, that is to know Melvins.

Mesteren

http://tabithasays.tumblr.com/post/100713316674

MIKE KUNKA'S GEAR WAS STOLEN YESTERDAY FROM A STORAGE SPACE IN PORT ANGELES, WASHINGTON

From Mike:
"Here is a partial list of the missing gear. Still trying to wrap my head around this.
Black fender jazz bass made in japan
White fender mustang bass beat to shit (godheadSilo)
White fender mustang bass with bass synth insides and extra guitar strings (smoke and smoke)
Black fender mustang/bronco bass with tremolo (godheadSilo)
Natural 8-string Kramer bass with aluminum neck (enemymine, dead low tide)
Acoustic/electric tenor guitar gold neck and body
2 silver Roland bass synth floor modules
1 brown Roland bass synth floor module
Garnet pa mixer
Garnet bto head (godheadSilo)
Garnet pro head
Garnet pro 200 head
Garnet stinger head and cabinet with horn
Sunn concert lead that Buzz used on the first 2 Melvins records (broken mid range knob)
2 custom white and tweed soldano cabinets (enemymine and later)
Peda-band one man band machine floor control and synth brain (possibly the only one in existence) home built in the 1970's
Master tapes of pretty much every record from 1990-2000
Plus countless personal items including our record collection, our daughter's toys, and most of my clothes.
I have no photos of anything. Any photos of me playing these instruments were also stolen. If you have photos please attach to your re-post. I don't want to see them, it's still too much. Thanks everybody."
To be afraid when you are alone, in the dark, faced with the unknown, the unspeakable; that is understandable fear. To be afraid, mortally afraid, in broad daylight, in a crowded city street, that is to know Melvins.