Melvins Lite - Freak Puke

Started by connor272, February 16, 2012, 12:49:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

violent office

Quote from: black stallion on June 01, 2012, 05:28:15 AM
does anyone want to talk of Dale's drumming on this?

He uses brushes here and there.

black stallion

Quote from: violent office on June 01, 2012, 09:48:11 AM
Quote from: black stallion on June 01, 2012, 05:28:15 AM
does anyone want to talk of Dale's drumming on this?

He uses brushes here and there.

that was weird.  some killer drum solos on Baby,Won't You Weird Me Out
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

jonE5

On first listen, I have to say that this is exceeding my expectations (Which were already extremely high)

-This album is destined to be a classic

I can't wait to play my copy in the car next week (I do most of my LOUD music listening in the car now)

-I really hope this is released on vinyl

Rusty Shackleford

Quote from: ZAPPAJOE on June 01, 2012, 08:56:37 AM
Anyone notice that "Inner Ear Rupture" is the same structure as "Eruption" by Van Halen . . . and the word play in the titles too ?

Yeah. 

Trevor adds something that makes this thing feel different than any other record of theirs.  The constant movement wouldn't be the same without his phrasing. 

Though I admit that I have been imagining what Kevin would have done. 

One high hat.  Two sticks.  Two feet.  More space in the picture.  I can breathe and feel the sway in these tunes.  That is probably close to impossible with two drummers, even drummers as good as Dale and Coady.  DALE on his own!  It's a sound and a feeling I have missed in a weird way, and I didn't realize it completely until listening to this record. 

Anyone reading this should know that the records that have been made with Coady are some of the best things this band has ever done, in my horrible opinion.  Goddamn it though, I love to hear Dale swing sticks.     

black stallion

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on June 01, 2012, 11:06:15 AM
Quote from: ZAPPAJOE on June 01, 2012, 08:56:37 AM
Anyone notice that "Inner Ear Rupture" is the same structure as "Eruption" by Van Halen . . . and the word play in the titles too ?

Though I admit that I have been imagining what Kevin would have done. 

i could see Kevin playing bass on a song like Mr Rip Off
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Mad Arab

This album in totality has exceeded my expectations. To be honest I was concerned after just listening to the one minute clips on Itunes. The clips certainly do not properly convey how good this album is.

bruce

Quote from: Jackie Treehorn on June 01, 2012, 11:37:15 AM
This album in totality has exceeded my expectations. To be honest I was concerned after just listening to the one minute clips on Itunes. The clips certainly do not properly convey how good this album is.

for the first time in board history, i agree with you joe. great album. the more i listen the more i like. very unique album.
congrats.

Mad Arab

Admit that you have agreed with me more than just this time...:) You know you have. Deep down, you know I am always right.

EvilNewWarGod

Not sure about anyone else on here, but I actually prefer Dale singing Let Me Roll It with Buzz doing the backing stuff(or whatever you call it). I think Dale's voice just fits better with this one for some reason.
May the fleas of a thousand camels infest your armpits.

Jozzy

Quote from: Jackie Treehorn on June 01, 2012, 11:37:15 AM

That's why I steered clear of them. That's just not to way to hear any kind of new album though. I cannot wait to get my pre-order in my grubby little mits and cranking this properly on my sound system.

And what Rusty said about Dale's drumming is spot on. I love the Big Melvins, but there is just something to be said about Dale doing it alone.

(((O)))

Quote from: EvilNewWarGod on June 01, 2012, 12:27:32 PM
Not sure about anyone else on here, but I actually prefer Dale singing Let Me Roll It with Buzz doing the backing stuff(or whatever you call it). I think Dale's voice just fits better with this one for some reason.
I've heard that live vid so many times that it did seem the "proper" rendition. Amazing how well Buzz and Dale's voices go together at times. Still i like this studio version. In fact i didn't even notice it was just Buzz until people mentioned.

Mount Ambulance

I call my local record shop today to see if they have it in yet (they ususlly have new releases the Thursday before release). They didn't and weren't even aware of it. So the owner jumps on the computer to see when it will come in ... as he's reading the info outloud he says:

"Ah, here it is, Melvins Life - Freak Pube ... yeah, it'll be in Tuesday"

I laugh, "ha ha ha ... Melvins Life - Freak Pube!" He laughs, "ha ha ha ... ooops! Melvins Lite -Freak Puke!" That was awesome!

Shit, now I wanna hear what "Freak Pube" sounds like ... bet is all that and a bag of bath salts!
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Pound4abrown

I have basically been living on Spinner.com since the album went up. I really, really like this album, more so than TBSM, but past that, I am not sure.
I don't think there is a weak song on the entire album. I really hope that when they tour the States they play the entire album. Its a good time to be a Melvins fan.

Helen83

Quote from: Pound4abrown on June 01, 2012, 03:50:35 PM
Its a good time to be a Melvins fan.

It's ALWAYS been a good time to be a Melvins fan......even when they release something we don't particularly love to bits.

Metalhead Cow

Listening to Freak Puke a second time-These are some cool songs.