Title tracks

Started by ))))((((, February 17, 2024, 07:42:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

I'm very OCD about these things but it bugs me that four records in the entire Melvins catalogue have title tracks on them - Gluey, POTRE, NWB and Freak Puke. I always wish those songs had their own independent titles and weren't named after the album they are on. I would like to hear Buzz's thoughts on why they didn't do more title tracks on their albums or how the albums are named. I guess sometimes it's the name of a song first that then they hijack for the album title rather than the other way around.

It made me wonder what a title track song on the other albums might sound like too. Can you imagine if the band ever put out a brand new album and used all the album titles for the titles of the new songs! That would be pretty wild and in a way something one might expect Melvins to actually do!

Generally though i'm not a fan of albums with a title track on. I feel album and songs should be titled differently and to have a clear distinction between the two.

vince furnier

Melvins are at the top of the list of bands that don't even mention the title of any song in the lyrics, so this is not a surprise.
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

amazonAMAZON

I generally dislike album titles that are also song titles. I don't dislike the title track. I just feel like you had an opportunity to make a new statement. And instead you copped out.

John Schuller

I do like the idea of writing a bunch of songs with titles like "Stoner Witch", "Houdini", "Hold It In", "Eggnog", "Electroretard" and so on...that would really be messed up with albums out there with the same name. The could also start naming albums after old songs "Ever Since My Accident", "Anaconda", "Charmicarmicat".

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on February 17, 2024, 10:53:28 AM
I generally dislike album titles that are also song titles. I don't dislike the title track. I just feel like you had an opportunity to make a new statement. And instead you copped out.
I think that too. Especially with the fact that Buzz says he makes lists of potential titles. I'm suprised he doesn't use an extra title than re-use a song name.

Quote from: John Schuller on February 17, 2024, 11:01:27 AM
I do like the idea of writing a bunch of songs with titles like "Stoner Witch", "Houdini", "Hold It In", "Eggnog", "Electroretard" and so on...that would really be messed up with albums out there with the same name. The could also start naming albums after old songs "Ever Since My Accident", "Anaconda", "Charmicarmicat".
Ha! I hadn't thought about that. It would be so confusing. It would be like something i could imagine the band Boris doing - with all their Heavy Rocks versions.

Tobias

Quote from: ))))(((( on February 17, 2024, 07:42:38 AM
Generally though i'm not a fan of albums with a title track on. I feel album and songs should be titled differently and to have a clear distinction between the two.

I bet the song "Black Sabbath" that appears on the album "Black Sabbath" by the band Black Sabbath really gets under your skin
Have you ever only eaten what's alive?

Mount Ambulance

Quote from: John Schuller on February 17, 2024, 11:01:27 AM
The could also start naming albums after old songs "Ever Since My Accident", "Anaconda", "Charmicarmicat".

:lol:

Quote from: Tobias on February 18, 2024, 10:45:02 AM
Quote from: ))))(((( on February 17, 2024, 07:42:38 AM

I bet the song "Black Sabbath" that appears on the album "Black Sabbath" by the band Black Sabbath really gets under your skin

:lol:
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

))))((((

Quote from: Tobias on February 18, 2024, 10:45:02 AM
Well, yes that is a really foolish one isn't it. I think there are other bands that have songs with their own bandname in the song title. Pretty horrendous to do so in my opinion.

tibiayou

The idea of a brand new Melvins album with titles derived from their previous albums is mind-blowing! That level of creativity and self-reference would be uniquely Melvins. Imagine the journey through their discography in a new light.

Dumpster D

Quote from: tibiayou on February 19, 2024, 07:30:37 PMThe idea of a brand new Melvins album with titles derived from their previous albums is mind-blowing! That level of creativity and self-reference would be uniquely Melvins. Imagine the journey through their discography in a new light.

Sort of how like when John Malkovich goes into his own head:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c2fVfIejbfM

the bloat

QuoteBuzz Osborne, the frontman of the Melvins, has often talked about his unconventional approach to songwriting and album creation. While some bands might opt for title tracks to represent their albums, the Melvins seem to take a more abstract and individualistic approach.

That IS fascinating!