A dark sabbath cometh duuuuuude! HAZE XXL linocut 2018

Started by amazonAMAZON, August 29, 2018, 04:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

It's been interesting purveying the polarizing opinions of listeners on Instagram and the video itself. With anything like this it also makes for good reading seeing where each person comes from on something like this. People who are either more fans of Melvins or fans of Sleep and judging accordingly.

Topaz

Sorry Melvins.  I don't care much for the Sabbath Bloody Sabbath cover.  I've never been a fan of Al's monotone.  Maybe the track will grow on me...

vince furnier

no one can top the Ozzy - Speak Of The Devil live version, sorry everyone (including Sabbath).  :twisted:
Welcome to my Nightmare!

Israeli billionaire dies during penis enlargement surgery

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

Oscar

I get the Sabbath worship and everything but I am thoroughly sick of this tone. The drums sound like cardboard at this point and I feel like Buzz's guitar work is the same on every single track they put out.

meezer

Quote from: Oscar on September 17, 2018, 05:21:59 AM
I get the Sabbath worship and everything but I am thoroughly sick of this tone. The drums sound like cardboard at this point and I feel like Buzz's guitar work is the same on every single track they put out.
Crystal Fairy did have the most variety in riffs, sounds, taxtures.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Stonergrunge

Quote from: meezer on September 17, 2018, 10:38:20 PM
Quote from: Oscar on September 17, 2018, 05:21:59 AM
Crystal Fairy did have the most variety in riffs, sounds, taxtures.

True.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

Bigval

To be fair with the Crystal Fairy stuff they probably put more effort into that given the commercial potential of the project.

meezer

Quote from: Bigval on September 19, 2018, 12:46:57 AM
To be fair with the Crystal Fairy stuff they probably put more effort into that given the commercial potential of the project.
From a musician's/ songwriter's POV, I see it more as a thing where you shift instrumentation around to fit the personnel. Buzz plays low end riffs when he sings these days. His voice has gotten deeper with age, as happens with all vocalists. He plays deep riffs when he sings, but playing with a female vocalist, he started to shift things around to fit her voice better . That created a better flow from song to song throughout the entire album. Add in the fact that there was a keyboard on a lot of those songs and that pushed things around even further. If you strip out Teri from that album it sounds more like Ozma than anything they've done in a decade.
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

Dumpster D

Now look, Just a thought (Because all the griping is really irritating after years of constant bitching) would you rather HAVE NO SABBATH COVERS BY MELVINS? OR WHAT?

Man, these guys could have retired a looonnng time ago, like before the end of the 90's ok?

Here's an idea: How about YOU take some of your hard earned dollars into the studio and put out your own Sabbath covers and see if Your recordings can hold any water.

Straight up man, if you don't like it, keep it to yourself.

Stonergrunge

Quote from: Dumpster D on September 19, 2018, 01:06:40 PM

ehm, Dumpster... this a discussion forum. The whole point of this place is to express our ideas and opinions, not to keep those things just for ourselves.
cartoons, chocolate milk & rock 'n' roll!!
Fuzz is love.
Foot fetishism means love, because, it's the magic of feet odor... Long live depravation.

amazonAMAZON

Brandon Habermas Cheapy $5 CD?

Thomas Hazelmyer thats the plan

Dumpster D

Quote from: Stonergrunge on September 19, 2018, 02:28:54 PM
Quote from: Dumpster D on September 19, 2018, 01:06:40 PM

ehm, Dumpster... this a discussion forum. The whole point of this place is to express our ideas and opinions, not to keep those things just for ourselves.

on a *FAN* forum!

people seem to forget they are fans, not critics. Case in point, we're lucky to still have a band like this, it's incredible...absolutely.

Who said the drums sound like cardboard on this recording..Meezer? Dammit  :lol: what in the hell are you listening to it through, are you kidding? It's heavy and punishing, listen to that snare!

As far as a band making it on their own terms, this is a true victory lap for them to put this out...Something is better than nothing, It's good for them to cash in a little and kick back a bit after the trials and experiences they've been through over the years.

Personally I'd have given up playing music by now if I kept hearing people talking shit about it. That's me and I'm Just a total baby then.

Couple other sabbath covers by other bands, you know what? Both these bands still sound like themselves covering sabbath. Melvins sound like themselves, that's one important thing to note about this particular cover...it's got over 91,000 Views already, so that's a really amazing thing considering there's a marginal hardcore fan base for the band that's probably under 20,000 people. They are bringing their music into a broader market with a different grain of perspective, people might overlook the band until they hear something by them that is familiar, then they might stop and take a second look at something else the band has put out that they would otherwise dismiss.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7NiUbirhPA

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFtjxB6DYCw