Started by amazonAMAZON, August 29, 2018, 04:22:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GiveMe45

Quote from: meezer on February 01, 2019, 09:39:22 PM
Quote from: Captain CoryCory on February 01, 2019, 02:07:20 PM
Quote from: 119 on February 01, 2019, 01:19:33 PM
This singer ruined these covers.

With that monotone voice singer might be a stretch.  :lol:
Consider the source of the material. Was Ozzy some great singer?
No but his voice kinda fit what they were doing.  Love Al's take on it.

I remember reading Dio saying something about Ozzy's vocal melody mostly following the guitar lines while he liked to be off on his own with his vocal tones.  I really like some post-Ozzy Sabbath but definitely doesn't sound like the same band. 

Mints

On the six Sabbath albums I own? Yes, he was.

Let me guess, you prefer Dio? Ozzy was the perfect fit for Sabbath.

John Schuller

Quote from: 119 on February 20, 2019, 07:44:22 AM

I think they were both perfect for Sabbath and their original eras (minus Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die - those albums are total stinkers). I can do without Dio singing Ozzy tunes as heard on Live Evil, but really their is enough room in the world for Ozzy Sabbath and Dio Sabbath. I just wish Rob Halford would have done some studio stuff with them.

Captain CoryCory

Quote from: sadcorps on February 20, 2019, 12:49:22 PM

I think they were both perfect for Sabbath and their original eras (minus Technical Ecstasy and Never Say Die - those albums are total stinkers). I can do without Dio singing Ozzy tunes as heard on Live Evil, but really their is enough room in the world for Ozzy Sabbath and Dio Sabbath. I just wish Rob Halford would have done some studio stuff with them.

Agree 100% on Halford Sabbath, that would have been amazing

DToxico

Quote from: sadcorps on February 20, 2019, 12:49:22 PM

Agree with all of this except about Never Say Die; that kicks the hell out of half the Ozzy-Sabbath records. Technical Ecstasy is absolutely one of the worst things they ever recorded with any singer though.

Ozzy and Dio's styles were very different, and Live Evil illustrates that perfectly. Dio just sounds bored on the Ozzy songs, and it really hammers in what Geezer(?) said about how Ozzy was just following the guitar melodies while Dio was just forging his own vocal melodies.

Halford doing studio Sabbath stuff would have been amazing, but I'd even have settled for one more Ian Gillan album. So underrated.

Fureon Nectarmoon

I never got into Sabbath with Dio and much prefer Ozzy (and I think yes, he was a great singer),
but I can see other people liking it with him and I do agree there is enough room in the world for both.
Also agree with DToxico, Never Say Die wasn't bad at all and definitely not as bad as a lot of people paint it to be.

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on February 26, 2019, 06:17:12 AM
I never got into Sabbath with Dio and much prefer Ozzy (and I think yes, he was a great singer),
but I can see other people liking it with him and I do agree there is enough room in the world for both.
Also agree with DToxico, Never Say Die wasn't bad at all and definitely not as bad as a lot of people paint it to be.

When I throw on Never Say Die, the only tune where I pick up the needle and skip past is Air Dance. What the hell is that crap? Sabbath's version of yacht rock/smooth jazz/fusion :merde::lol:

meezer

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on February 26, 2019, 05:13:09 PM
Quote from: Fureon Nectarmoon on February 26, 2019, 06:17:12 AM

When I throw on Never Say Die, the only tune where I pick up the needle and skip past is Air Dance. What the hell is that crap? Sabbath's version of yacht rock/smooth jazz/fusion :merde::lol:
I love Air Dance! I love 2 songs on Technical Ecstasy. I love Sabbath with Dio. If the first 3-5 Sabbath albums are all you like, fine, but not me man.  :D
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

amazonAMAZON

I might learn to like Technical Ecstasy eventually, but probably in an ironic way.

I never liked those synth sounds on any album, personal preference.

I've been told cocaine can be fine for drummers but it interferes with your ear's harmonic sense so anyone who needs to be melodic or harmonic (guitar, bass, keys, singers) should avoid it. Also lends to narcissistic confidence so you'll think you're untouchable and insist your ideas are good even when they're not.

It's the sound of the end of Ozzy era Sabbath to me.

))))((((

I read over on the wiki page that Cisneros didn't play bass on this one. Just sang the vocals and that Steve was on bass duties. Is that correct? I just assumed the tracks featured Buzz, Dale and Al.

buddy holiday

tonight, usual time, a couple of the melvins sabbath 10" are going up. apparently they found a small amount...

no hint as to anything else going up tonight.