Dale & Steven chat

Started by ))))((((, December 06, 2022, 06:22:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JASONALEXANDER

The interviewer has far too long questions, Steven and Dale has to get him to repeat several times. Less is more, remember the interviewee is the one people are interested to listen too, not the interviewer!
"DM is a real american hero." (Fart Lips 27.09.2023)

))))((((

Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on December 07, 2022, 03:44:13 AM
The interviewer has far too long questions, Steven and Dale has to get him to repeat several times. Less is more, remember the interviewee is the one people are interested to listen too, not the interviewer!
Yeah the interviewer was excruciating in this, although i'm sure felt a bit nervous probably. Still, the basic rules should be - keep your questions simple and direct. Although i do blame the band a bit there too. I've noticed before that they all tend to only hear what they want to hear and are pretty bad at answering an actual question sometimes. Countless times before i seen them asked a very particular question only for them to totally butcher the meaning and answer something else. I think there were points in this interview where the interviewer asked very audible and understandable questions. And yet Dale and Steven still fucked it up and couldn't understand. Perhaps all those years on stage has fucked their hearing.

the bloat

Interesting read though. At one point, it seemed like Steven was interviewing Dale as to why Melvins don't start their own label. The topic of BMR being only released on AmRep was covered too. The vinyl was ready earlier than they thought, so they went for it, with no promotion. Seems like they consider Ipecac, but that it wouldn't have made a difference.

Melvins are obviously promoting it now, since BMR is the main topic in all their recent interviews, with the song lengths being to be the primary talking point.

I would have liked to hear about upcoming releases and 2023, but I'm sure that's coming soon.

))))((((

Quote from: the bloat on December 07, 2022, 08:56:54 AM
The topic of BMR being only released on AmRep was covered too. The vinyl was ready earlier than they thought, so they went for it, with no promotion. Seems like they consider Ipecac, but that it wouldn't have made a difference.
Yes, that seems a clear factor. From what they said it seems unlikely that this will be the new approach.

with the song lengths being to be the primary talking point.
Makes me smile that Dale keeps saying Mr Dog is their longest ever song when it really isn't! POTRE title track alone is way longer!

I would have liked to hear about upcoming releases and 2023, but I'm sure that's coming soon.
Same here. I always prefer to hear more of that kind of thing. But i guess interviews tend to be fairly light and about the "now". Sometimes they do get asked what's in the pipeline and only occasionally give away any little hints.

))))((((