No Mention of the Melvins, by a guy who owes them.

Started by GrimReaper, May 26, 2011, 12:31:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheLegitMan93

Bad Brains do NOT suck. I enjoy the Foo Fighters' first couple albums, but saying Bad Brains are over-rated is simply not true.

pinkyslim

Quote from: TheLegitMan93 on May 26, 2011, 04:10:03 PM
Bad Brains do NOT suck. I enjoy the Foo Fighters' first couple albums, but saying Bad Brains are over-rated is simply not true.

It's true. 8)

John Schuller

Wait - it's true or it's not true? I am confused. See what all of this "trying to pull chains" has gotten us?

Bad Brains that suck = Chuck Mosley era, Rise era, 95% of God of Love, 40% of Quickness, 15% of I Against I, the sped up remix of Rock for Light.
Bad Brains that does not suck = the rest of it

Oh yeah, HR solo albums fucking suck.

Chief Ten Beers

The only good Bad Brains albums are ROIR tape, Black Dots, Omega Sessions, and the live ones - Youth Are Getting Restless/Spirit Electricity. I usually skip the reggae tunes. I Against I has a few good songs, everything else is standard bad metal on it. If some of those songs were done by white guys, that album would get a worse rap.

I think Wino sums them up the best.

then all of a sudden there would be these four dudes up there playing reggae

Dave Grohl is a total choad. Can't deny he's a great drummer, but i hate hearing him speak, sing, or play guitar.

John Schuller

John Schuller

I would consider I Against I bad metal if I considered it metal. I have never been able to stick that record in a genre. Love that album. Love that band. As misguided as they are QUITE often.

Chief Ten Beers

Quote from: sadcorps on May 26, 2011, 05:58:10 PM
The old "darkies get a pass" argument?

Um, no, didn't say that. That album, it's just that half the songs are great, and half cheese-metal inspired garbage.  I agree that the one after it, Quickness, I can barely get through either. Never listened to any of their stuff past that up through today. Doubt I ever will.

perzo)))

i still wanna know what his other fav albums are...
Again,a gorgeous tragedy approaches,in the wake of those thought contained.But sonic reverberations shake the very marrow of the fragile chamber of mans lifeforce,and again the minions quiver in fear,as daylight fails to come,and Melvins walk the battlefield,bored and hungry...

>>>JZS<<<

Roir tape through Quickness plus Black Dots are all fucking awesome in my opinion.

I saw the Bad Brains 'I Against I' tour and as far as I'm concerned, at that moment in 1986, they were the best "Hardcore" band in the world, period.
(1986, hmm, no more Black Flag and I think the Cro-Mags 'Age Of Quarrel'
- came out later that same year, so, yeah, I'll stand by the statement above.)

I saw Scream open for Bad Brains on the Quickness tour in D.C....Bad Brains were incredible, Scream were pretty mediocre.

Why do y'all give a shit what someone in a pop band thinks about the Melvins ?

Oh yeah, If one of the top 10 hardcore bands of all time wants to play a few Reggae songs, fine with me.  :toke:

jonE5

Quote from: >>>JZS<<< on May 26, 2011, 11:10:37 PM
Roir tape through Quickness plus Black Dots are all fucking awesome in my opinion.

I saw the Bad Brains 'I Against I' tour and as far as I'm concerned, at that moment in 1986, they were the best "Hardcore" band in the world, period.
(1986, hmm, no more Black Flag and I think the Cro-Mags 'Age Of Quarrel'
- came out later that same year, so, yeah, I'll stand by the statement above.)

I saw Scream open for Bad Brains on the Quickness tour in D.C....Bad Brains were incredible, Scream were pretty mediocre.

Why do y'all give a shit what someone in a pop band thinks about the Melvins ?

Oh yeah, If one of the top 10 hardcore bands of all time wants to play a few Reggae songs, fine with me.  :toke:

Weird crowd.. Old footage.. But great sound!

Bad Brains - Intro/I

FartLips

Quote from: Chowder Chucker on May 26, 2011, 03:29:53 PM
I can barely make it through "Quickness".
Everything after that is butthole.
I liked most of quickness but they definitely dropped off after that.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

streetwaves

that's too bad. That was my first punk/hardcore show. In the 80's, they were one of the most influential bands of their time, not to mention helping to smash the color barrier in the genre. I can understand some not getting why they were considered so big. There were a lot of other great bands at the same time. Bad Brains were just very popular and their live show was epic!
[/quote]

Because so many black punk bands followed? HR is a huge homophobe and has been very outspoken about how he feels about gays. How's that for breaking down barriers?

GrimReaper

Ontario Theater DC
Stranglers, Bad Brains, Black Market Baby.
Then a showing of Eraserhead.
Hit Little Tavern after that. Drove around awhile and hit  Montgomery doughnuts. Then went to school.

anaconda

Stranglers are/were a damn fine band that never got their due.
But, as they sang, life shows no mercy.