Basses Loaded

Started by Feast On Me, June 10, 2015, 04:23:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

meezer

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 07, 2016, 09:06:18 AM
Here's proof my copy misses the other song line-ups in the liner notes.
Collectors item. Ruined.  :lol:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

The Minneapolis Kid

That's really fuggin weird.
So are the missing songs..... HIIIIYOOO!

Pound4abrown

only two panels?
Mine has more.

))))((((

Quote from: Pound4abrown on June 07, 2016, 01:07:54 PM

only two panels?
Mine has more.
No, it's a four panel fold out. One for the cover art and the other was plain. I just showed the bits where mine has the text. What is yours like? Is there text on the other bits?

aeustin

Quote from: The Minneapolis Kid on June 06, 2016, 09:10:34 PM
Quote from: aeustin on June 06, 2016, 08:25:44 PM
Quote from: The Minneapolis Kid on June 06, 2016, 02:34:27 PM

Quote from: Rusty Shackleford on June 06, 2016, 02:33:20 PM
I think Toshi's work kicks ass, and none of this is my business, but I wish Buzz and Dale would make some records across town with Joe Barresi at his studio. 

I couldn't agree more. Mike and The Melvins has for me just been a reminder of the very noticeable shift in their sound and I personally like the fat, thick sound Barresi gets.

But to me it hasn't really been noticeable since about Freak Puke.  HAT-Bulls and the Bees still sound great. That being said I really do like the production on the guitar and vocals lately.

In all fairness, you're right. The production quality has been pretty good since Freak Puke for sure. I thought Hold It In was a little too quite but once you find the sweet spot with the volume it sounds great. Basses Loaded sounds really good too. When I think about it you're absolutely right.
There's this sound though that I can't put into words because I just can't that is on all the album Barresi has touched that just feels like a big heavy, fuzz warm beefy blanket. I mean Stag, Honky but the real kicker is he played the role of engineer on Stoner Witch and that is in my humble opinion their best sounding record. Sound wise, not music wise or song writing or anything like that, in fact Stoner Witch probably isn't even in my top ten but it sounds amazing. It's like the first QOTSA album. That had engineers summing their pants and rightfully so! In the end I think they all sound great and with a catalog like they have it can be easy to like a certain producer or engineer rather over a different one.
If I had a gun to my head and was forced to try to explain that sound I would just say "2 inch tape" is maybe what made the difference, but that's just a flailing guess. But it's the Melvins so anything they do is going to eventually sound good to my ears no matter what and that's what makes the Earth go around....Right?

It just sounds -- to me anyway -- that the drums are sorta "pushed into the background" of the mix. There isn't much punch or kick in them... which is a shame IMO because the playing itself sounds great!
Wake up to yourself before you die
The truth is hard but it's easy to lie

Pound4abrown

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 07, 2016, 01:13:55 PM
Quote from: Pound4abrown on June 07, 2016, 01:07:54 PM

only two panels?
Mine has more.
No, it's a four panel fold out. One for the cover art and the other was plain. I just showed the bits where mine has the text. What is yours like? Is there text on the other bits?

yeah it looks like the printing on your second panel is on my 3rd panel, and the other songs and who are on them is on the second panel. The back of the panels is more artwork.
I'll need to pull it out to be more specific.
But, yeah, that is odd.

FartLips

Quote from: GrimReaper on June 07, 2016, 04:30:56 AM
Quote from: Oscar on June 07, 2016, 04:18:17 AM
Pitchfork had something to say

http://pitchfork.com/reviews/albums/21959-basses-loaded/

It's Saby. He's listened to everything the Melvins have ever recorded over the last 33 years so he's qualified to make a blanket statement like "For the first time ever......"

pretty spot on, although i dont think the band is necessarily mailing it in.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

))))((((

I wish this was the tracklisting!

1. The Decay Of Lying
2. Choco Plumbing
3. Beer Hippie
4. Mr DNA
5. Captain Come Down
6. Hideous Woman
7. Industrial Art
8. Planet Distructo
9. War Pussy
10. Phyllis Dillard
11. Graveyard

homeless_dad

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 08, 2016, 05:21:21 AM
I wish this was the tracklisting!

1. The Decay Of Lying
2. Choco Plumbing
3. Beer Hippie
4. Mr DNA
5. Captain Come Down
6. Hideous Woman
7. Industrial Art
8. Planet Distructo
9. War Pussy
10. Phyllis Dillard
11. Graveyard
I love their Beatles cover.  There's no way I'd omit that one.  The addition of Mr DNA would have fit perfectly.
Is Ian back yet??

))))((((

Quote from: homeless_dad on June 08, 2016, 10:54:27 AM
I love their Beatles cover.  There's no way I'd omit that one.
Im not entirely sure why, but i really dislike it. When im listening (and enjoying) the album it gets to 'I Want To Tell You' and i start groaning inside! It feels so out of place to include a "bop along" silly song right there. Or anywhere! I like The Beatles but it's just not Melvins to me. I'd be fine with something like that as a B-side to a single but on an album it just feels throwaway. Worse still, a tongue in cheek throwaway. Same goes for those other tracks i removed.

homeless_dad

Quote from: ))))(((( on June 08, 2016, 11:59:23 AM
Quote from: homeless_dad on June 08, 2016, 10:54:27 AM
I love their Beatles cover.  There's no way I'd omit that one.
Im not entirely sure why, but i really dislike it. When im listening (and enjoying) the album it gets to 'I Want To Tell You' and i start groaning inside! It feels so out of place to include a "bop along" silly song right there. Or anywhere! I like The Beatles but it's just not Melvins to me. I'd be fine with something like that as a B-side to a single but on an album it just feels throwaway. Worse still, a tongue in cheek throwaway. Same goes for those other tracks i removed.
It's ok that your opinion is wrong. :wink:

The choice makes sense with Steve McDonald playing on the song.  I wouldn't be surprised if it was his suggestion to do it.  I don't find it a tongue-in-cheek throwaway in the least bit. You have a better arguement with Ball game and shaving cream being the tongue-in-cheek throwaways.
Is Ian back yet??

))))((((

Quote from: homeless_dad on June 08, 2016, 12:49:45 PM
You have a better arguement with Ball game and shaving cream being the tongue-in-cheek throwaways.
Those are additional throwaways!

I always have this thing with Melvins where i wish they would write and record their songs and then hand them to me to sort out and decide which ones make the album. Yes, i am a control freak! But then no more great records scuppered by a few terrible song selections.

Captain CoryCory

Finally got a copy of the album and for the most part it's solid even if it is a bit disjointed at times. The Decay of Lying seriously gets better with each listen, easily my favorite song of the bunch now. Really the only track I'm seriously "meh" on is the Krist track. It is a good song and fun as hell but it just sounds like an indie rock track with cool solos (No surprise that Pitchfork did praise that tune!). "Choco Plumbing" and "Planet Destructo" are excellent and "Captain Comedown" is finally growing on me.

Overall an 8 out of 10. Easily one of the better Melvins albums of the 2010s.

))))((((

Quote from: Captain CoryCory on June 08, 2016, 01:20:35 PM
"Captain Comedown" is finally growing on me.
It's my favourite on the album. I liked that song right from the first time i heard it. Hideous Woman, Beer Hippie and The Decay Of Lying are other top picks of mine.

(the) Razor

Don't click this