Melvins With Steven McDonald On Bass

Started by meezer, December 03, 2015, 07:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

whiney

Yeah, just wanna chime in that Steve might be my fave Melvins bass player ever.

He def is the least likely to just follow whatever Buzz is playing, like actually writing these lyrical little parts around the core riffs. It's really the first time it's felt like the Melvs had a third member as opposed to someone who's just holding down The Buzz and Dale Show.

PepsiMike

The 'Steve' era of the melvins can be summarized as goofy. The weird, tweedily bass parts, the funny 'are you ready to rock' call outs, the posing, and the skits during shows are unlike any other era. Would I change it? No.

amazonAMAZON

All the ornamental stuff he does seems more and more appropriate with every tour. I don't know how much is his learning melvindom and how much is just me getting used to it.

I really think Buzz and Dale like that schtick. Buzz isn't going to break character, but I think having Steven in the band makes it more fun for them.

His playing is great, though. Every record, every tour I like it more. Though there were already hints of that across Death.

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on May 16, 2023, 09:58:53 PM
Buzz isn't going to break character
Character on stage you mean there? I think him on stage is similar to himself off stage. Just a bit more serious and mean looking. Up there getting the job done sort of thing.

amazonAMAZON

Yes, I mean even if he's enjoying himself or amused by Steven, when they play any of those typical pessimistic or stoic Melvins songs like "Never Say You're Sorry" or "Let It All Be" he's going to keep wearing that stonefaced scowl.

black stallion

after seeing a lot of videos from recent tour i must say this is probably the best moment of the band with this line up
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

black stallion

the ability of this man to turn every Melvins song intro into a joke is amazing, we love you Steven!  :D

https://youtube.com/shorts/mj6eCAVFazs?feature=shared

PepsiMike

black stallion

Chief Ten Beers

FartLips

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on May 17, 2023, 09:15:18 AM
Yes, I mean even if he's enjoying himself or amused by Steven, when they play any of those typical pessimistic or stoic Melvins songs like "Never Say You're Sorry" or "Let It All Be" he's going to keep wearing that stonefaced scowl.
when i saw them in the ATL with ministry, buzz was smiling watching Steven ham it up. he does love having Steven there.
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol: