atp 25-27 may 2012 curated by atp +mogwai (melvins, slayer, sleep...)

Started by norecess, November 09, 2011, 10:46:33 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lunica

i wouldn't count on it - the public transport to atp is always HELL. the first time i went there, i went to london from stansted, then to bristol, then to taunton - at the train station there were supposed to be buses to the festival - but there were only regular buses (it seemed like). it was snowing, freezing cold, and about 200 people ahead of us in line. there was only a new bus about every half an hour. after waiting there for about two hours before giving up. i think we ended up taking a cab with some strangers because it was just impossible to get on the buses. the ride was more than an hour to minehead i think. on the morning when i was supposed to go back, it was also chaos - hundreds of people waiting for buses at the big parking lot outside the park, but the buses were less than half full when they left - i think there was some kind of system where you have to reserve a ticket. it took hours to get a taxi too. thank god maarten has the number of a cab driver - we always use him now - he picks us up at bristol airport and takes us directly to minehead. hopefully it will be better in london, but don't count on it!
i don't have a square to spare. can't spare a square.

Schnabster

Quote from: Lunica on December 16, 2011, 03:18:03 AM
i wouldn't count on it - the public transport to atp is always HELL. the first time i went there, i went to london from stansted, then to bristol, then to taunton - at the train station there were supposed to be buses to the festival - but there were only regular buses (it seemed like). it was snowing, freezing cold, and about 200 people ahead of us in line. there was only a new bus about every half an hour. after waiting there for about two hours before giving up. i think we ended up taking a cab with some strangers because it was just impossible to get on the buses. the ride was more than an hour to minehead i think. on the morning when i was supposed to go back, it was also chaos - hundreds of people waiting for buses at the big parking lot outside the park, but the buses were less than half full when they left - i think there was some kind of system where you have to reserve a ticket. it took hours to get a taxi too. thank god maarten has the number of a cab driver - we always use him now - he picks us up at bristol airport and takes us directly to minehead. hopefully it will be better in london, but don't count on it!

End of may, warm weather, transport in London must be another chapter than Minehead. But cabs are definitivly preferred after ended concert day.

buddy holiday

in 2009 the transport from taunton to minehead and then back worked fine, but you had to pre-book the tickets.

in london the shows finish quite early so you can for sure get a train back to the city center (and continue partying there if necessary)...
we booked our hotel at kings cross, from there there is a direct train to alexandra palace station. 15min walk is fine for me.

Schnabster

Quote from: buddy holiday on December 16, 2011, 04:12:05 AM
in 2009 the transport from taunton to minehead and then back worked fine, but you had to pre-book the tickets.

in london the shows finish quite early so you can for sure get a train back to the city center (and continue partying there if necessary)...
we booked our hotel at kings cross, from there there is a direct train to alexandra palace station. 15min walk is fine for me.

A lot of hotels at Kings Cross, good choice. I have a hang up on St Giles (Bedford Avenue), right next to the tube at Tottenham Court Road, Oxford Street, Covent Garden, Soho and Picadally Circus/Leicester Square. Not a high class hotel, but big, with entrance to a mega training centre with a big swimming pool in the basement. A bit more plunder with tube changes up the nearest tube to Alexandra, but we have an alternative with tube to Kings Cross and then train to alexandra palace station. Most probably it will be a cab to and from, although it will cost more.

jules

National Hotel nearby, 17 - 19 Queens Avenue, Muswell Hill, London N10 3PE

60 pounds for a double en-suite.

http://www.nationalshotel.com/index.php

Quote from: Schnabster on December 16, 2011, 03:26:55 AM
End of may, 1) warm weather, 2) transport in London must be another chapter than Minehead.
Probably not a good idea to bank on either of those points, though  :)

Schnabster

Quote from: jules on December 16, 2011, 06:11:55 AM
National Hotel nearby, 17 - 19 Queens Avenue, Muswell Hill, London N10 3PE

60 pounds for a double en-suite.

http://www.nationalshotel.com/index.php

Quote from: Schnabster on December 16, 2011, 03:26:55 AM
End of may, 1) warm weather, 2) transport in London must be another chapter than Minehead.
Probably not a good idea to bank on either of those points, though  :)

Warmer than december, I should guess.

oldernie

ill be driving,
anyone know what the area is like for parking.
"To be honest i've kind of gone off the band a bit now. I just like to hang out on here because of everyone else."
-jules from brighton quoting - Ian from Staffs.

oldernie

sounds like limited parking then, and i definately wont be first served with my late arrival.
ill find some dodgy sidestreet im sure.
"To be honest i've kind of gone off the band a bit now. I just like to hang out on here because of everyone else."

Schnabster

oldernie

you can have a lift if you dont mind arriving at venues within seconds of the band going on stage.

jules

And don't forget he has to drive to Stansted Airport, Luton Airport, Heathrow Airport, Gatwick Airport and Brighton first, to pick the rest of us up.