Conan Neutron & The Secret Friends: (Dale Crover on drums!)-Dark Passengers

Started by conanneutron, February 09, 2016, 12:18:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

conanneutron

hey friends, I want to say that there was a post for this in the BBS already for the first record, but i'll be damned if I can find it.
Besides this is an ongoing band and everything... so i'll just make this the place for all of that, cool? Cool.

Short story: World's best drummer (tm), Mr. Dale Crover is the drummer for my thing... the Secret Friends.
That's the headline right?  Well it also features Tony Ash (Coliseum, Trophy Wives, Dead Halos, etc.) on bass, Toshi Kasai as Auxillary dude and a revolving cast of awesome from other acts. (Eugene from Oxbow sings a song on the first record).

Who the fuck am I?
I'm a guy that has been kicking around and making music for about 16 years, touring and recording. In the noiserock outfit Replicator, post-punk/hard rock band Mount Vicious and big triumphant-y rock band Victory and Associates. I've made a ton of records, some people seem to like some of them a lot and 1.357 billion Red Chinese could give a damn, right?

Anyway. Secret Friends is where stuff is happening now and this is the new record: The Art of Murder.
This is the front cover artwork:

Rick Froberg did it.

(note: i'd post the whole thing, but I can't seem to get it sized not to take up like 7 screens)

It's a concept record about and around Hannibal Lecter.

First song is Chesapeake Ripper

so the link is:
https://neutronfriends.bandcamp.com/album/the-art-of-murder
We're teasing it out a song at a time, but $5 gets you the whole enchilada immediately, $12 for the CD (shipping in March), and $17 for the vinyl (shipping in late June... ugh!)

Also, the first record is still available: "The Enemy of Everyone"

And yeah... this is now the thread for all of that stuff, cool? Cool!
Any questions?
rocker, talker, etc.

Conan Neutron & the Secret Friends
Neutron/Ash/Crover (yes... THAT Crover.)

FartLips

Nice. I got turned on to victory and associates by one Chris frey of porch, another great band people should check out!
Quote from: JASONALEXANDER on March 08, 2024, 11:35:21 PM
Brilliant story, Ian!  :lol:  :lol: And what harm has Ian ever done to Fart that he deserves to be harrassed no matter what he writes, even when it's funny and brilliant as fuck? Digger > Nigger and an Fuck > Shut!  :lol:

meezer

You gotta search this site by using Google.

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=20302.msg541875#msg541875

I'm excited about this. Got the first CD. Love it. Love it more every time I listen to it. Even played it on a road trip and the wife had no complaints.  :D
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

conanneutron

Quote from: FartLips on February 09, 2016, 01:33:45 PM
Nice. I got turned on to victory and associates by one Chris frey of porch, another great band people should check out!

Ah! thanks man.
Yeah, I think the final Victory and Associates record (produced by Toshi Kasai) is the best thing the band did. Didn't exactly set the world on fire, but I stand by that record big time.

Also: Chris Frey rules!
Porch for-ever

Quote from: meezer on February 09, 2016, 03:07:44 PM
You gotta search this site by using Google.

http://www.themelvins.net/forum/index.php?topic=20302.msg541875#msg541875

I'm excited about this. Got the first CD. Love it. Love it more every time I listen to it. Even played it on a road trip and the wife had no complaints.  :D

Damn! I swear I used my Google and everything. No luck.
I think I got the thread title wrong.

And yeah, all Drums on both records are Mr. Crover. I think Toshi did a shaker on something if I remember right.

Man, now do I just leave this up or let both threads go... hmmm.
I swear, I don't just come here to spam the place. hahaha.
rocker, talker, etc.

meezer

"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

buddy holiday

Bigval

I liked the Chesapeake Ripper song so bought the download.

Looking forward to hearing the whole album especially being a concept album about Hannibal Lecter  :)

meezer

Purchased. Running time approximately 38 minutes. Release date - March 1st.
I'm putting this download on a freaking 74 minute tape (both sides).  :nerd: :evil:

**killer artwork, too!

conanneutron

Thanks gang!
Appreciate the attention and the nice things said, and of course... the $$$ too.
:lol:

First song on the second "Side" is up to stream now too.
Quid Pro Quo

This one has some backup/harmony vocals by Dana Poblete of the excellent LA band Turbo Lightning.
rocker, talker, etc.

conanneutron

I reckon this oughta be of interest.
I heart noise premiered one of the songs on the new record: Avid Fan
(YAY!/Boo!/Who cares?)

It also happens to be one of the ones that a certain Mr. Buzz Osborne sings backup vocals on.

You can listen here, or at the I heart Noise soundcloud.

Still only $5 for the whole thing digital, with cd and vinyl pre-orders in process.
ok?
ok!
rocker, talker, etc.

Bigval

Just noticed the first Conan Neutron & The Secret Friends album 'The Enemy of Everyone' is free/pay what you want now.

https://neutronfriends.bandcamp.com/album/the-enemy-of-everyone

meezer

I was cranking this in the car last night. So damn good.  8)

conanneutron

Quote from: Bigval on May 14, 2016, 07:28:23 AM
Just noticed the first Conan Neutron & The Secret Friends album 'The Enemy of Everyone' is free/pay what you want now.

https://neutronfriends.bandcamp.com/album/the-enemy-of-everyone

It is! I forgot to mention that.
It still costs on all of the normal places that it costs, but if you want to have a digital copy of it straight from the source.
Do it!

I'd call it the Kowloon Walled City model, but i'm pretty sure we did that in Replicator first, so they stole it from us and i'm stealing it back so more people can listen without feeling as if they are stealing at all!

Quote from: meezer on May 14, 2016, 07:39:08 AM
I was cranking this in the car last night. So damn good.  8)

Thanks man! PLAY IT LOUD.

I'm pretty sure we're going to have some videos for this album, we'll see how that shakes out, but if half the stuff happens that is supposed to it will rule!

Oh yeah, you can stream all of Art of Murder now too. If you want to check it out on a computer or smart phone. Still 5 bones to own the digital.
I'm told it is only a matter of weeks until we have the vinyl in hand, the date on the bandcamp still looks to be correct.
June 20th. They ship immediately after.

CDs ship now.

Thanks for your continued interest!
rocker, talker, etc.

conanneutron

hi everybody, long time no talk?
Alright so in celebration of Bandcamp's day of action for Trans Rights, we'd like to present you with "Conversion" a NeutronFriends song sung by our friend Ashley Altadonna from The Glacial Speed Conan Neutron-Guitar, Tony Ash-Bass, Dale Crover-Drums, Sean Kirkpatrick of Nervous Curtains-Piano, Moog, Synth.

A powerful song sung about the horrifying "conversion therapy" process.

This was released in conjunction with bandcamps day of action for trans rights, 100% of the proceeds for this song go to the Transgender Law Center, a nonprofit organization that works tirelessly to change law, policy, and culture for the more equitable. Please enjoy, consider purchasing a copy and remember to support equal rights for all.

(Oh yeah, there are a couple of other tunes on there as well, and you can buy the whole Secret Friends digital discography for under $6 this weekend.

Also, a bunch of new Secret Friends stuff coming up soon. )
rocker, talker, etc.