Buzz interview

Started by ))))((((, October 09, 2021, 08:05:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

))))((((

I listened to this new one last night. Some new stuff discussed some very familiar stuff.

https://player.fm/series/third-gear-scratch/episode-107-buzz-osborne

))))((((

Another one. Some great thoughts by Buzz here on the issue of money. Never knew he has a brother either!

https://beginningspod.tumblr.com/post/665128910231650304/its-time-for-beginnings-the-podcast-where-writer

black stallion

Quote from: ))))(((( on March 08, 2022, 07:05:47 AM
https://www.theaquarian.com/2022/03/02/forever-in-their-own-lane-melvins-buzz-osborne-talks-acoustics-misadventures-dogs-judy-garland-jungle-rock/

great interview, I love what he says about Dale and Steven, being in a band with them. also I had no doubt he'd have replied like that about Mark Lanegan's passing
Charmicarmicat:Bastards

PepsiMike

Buzz:
QuoteI want to make heavy metal that sounds like Dark Magus; that sounds like The Who Sell Out. Add a jungle rock, garage rock element to it. I wanna add John Spencer and Judas Priest. I want it all at once. Pure noise. The Beatles crossed with Throbbing Gristle.

This would be awesome! Please Buzz do it!

Nizamark

John Schuller

Quote from: PepsiMike on March 08, 2022, 01:09:58 PM
Buzz:
QuoteI want to make heavy metal that sounds like Dark Magus; that sounds like The Who Sell Out. Add a jungle rock, garage rock element to it. I wanna add John Spencer and Judas Priest. I want it all at once. Pure noise. The Beatles crossed with Throbbing Gristle.

Right? I want all of this!!!

Dark Magus is such an amazing and brutal album.

Mints

Quote from: sadcorps on March 08, 2022, 09:56:07 PM
Buzz:

When I got into electric Miles the albums were hard to find. After a lot of phoning around (this was back when the Internet was just a rumour about a geek with a modem) I found a copy of Dark Magus in a city that was a two-hour drive away. Damn right, I'm gone. On the way home, driving with my headphones plugged into a Sony Discman, I remember yelling, "Close your fucking hi hat!" I got over it. Killer album.

John Schuller

Quote from: Mints on March 08, 2022, 11:35:51 PM
Quote from: sadcorps on March 08, 2022, 09:56:07 PM
Buzz:

When I got into electric Miles the albums were hard to find. After a lot of phoning around (this was back when the Internet was just a rumour about a geek with a modem) I found a copy of Dark Magus in a city that was a two-hour drive away. Damn right, I'm gone. On the way home, driving with my headphones plugged into a Sony Discman, I remember yelling, "Close your fucking hi hat!" I got over it. Killer album.

Al Foster is such a beast on that album!

Melvy

Good interview, but have to say it's a lame look whenever Buzz, not even prompted, has to tell you himself all the bands he influenced....

Chief Ten Beers

Totally agree on Dark Magus being the best live Miles '70s album. Pangaea could be arguably tied. Michael Henderson - so bad-ass on bass. The true definition of "less is more".
Interesting words on Lanegan. Do we now know that his death was directly drug OD related? Buzz makes it sound like that. I was under the assumption that he was of ill health in the last few years. It's sort of weird how Buzz always comes off like Ian MacKaye or Frank Zappa when it comes to drug use and his stance on it. We all know he had a brief time where he was pretty f'd up, in the Lorax era. I wish Buzz would elaborate on that some, or at least talk about how he got out of it.

Bigval

Not sure the Melvins were an influence on Soundgarden they started around the same time and in different cities and Melvins were a covers band initially too.

On Lanegan I read he caught Covid last year and it fucked him up badly he was in hospital for a long time and nearly died or something doesn't mean he didn't end up dying of an OD or something but I was under the impression he had been clean for some time and it would be fair to assume he was still fucked from Covid.

John Schuller

Quote from: Chief Ten Beers on March 09, 2022, 05:35:45 PM
Totally agree on Dark Magus being the best live Miles '70s album. Pangaea could be arguably tied. Michael Henderson - so bad-ass on bass. The true definition of "less is more".

Easily in my 5 favorite bass players ever list. You nailed that description of "less is more".