Crash bang boom podcast : Dale Interview

Started by black stallion, May 21, 2018, 01:25:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jules

Thanks, Stallion! Europe tour in the fall.....

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

))))((((

Some cool little facts mentioned there. I did think Dale's drums were a bit smaller lately then they had been. I thought i was imagining it though so it's good to have that confirmed. As regards the interview itself, i wish the interviewer didn't keep saying "y'all". Pretty cringe inducing.

amazonAMAZON

"Y'all" is an essential bit of spoken language that belongs in English. Without it there's too much confusion between plural or singular in the second person. Just because the southern dialect made greater use of "y'all" and other Americans only occasionally use the uninspired "you guys" and the Brits never* address a group without their proper institutional name, "y'all" is now the canonical second person plural. I didn't grow up with it and I hated it for twenty years. If you can't beat 'em...

(* best guess)

Rusty Shackleford

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on May 22, 2018, 11:16:59 PM
"Y'all" is an essential bit of spoken language that belongs in English. Without it there's too much confusion between plural or singular in the second person. Just because the southern dialect made greater use of "y'all" and other Americans only occasionally use the uninspired "you guys" and the Brits never* address a group without their proper institutional name, "y'all" is now the canonical second person plural. I didn't grow up with it and I hated it for twenty years. If you can't beat 'em...

Well said.  What do British people say when addressing groups?  I'd guess some small informal groups wouldn't have a proper institutional name.  Without the "y'all", or the uninspired "you guys", would one say to Dale "you and the band", or just "the band"?

meezer

Y'all is from the British isles. I have it in a book. I'll look it up.  :nerd:
"Get off of our stage. If you want on this stage, get in show business." -King Buzzo
"Yeah, we don't come in the 7-11 where you work and get up on the counter." -Mark D
https://soundcloud.com/meezerpocalypse/nathalie-b20-driving-force-paploviante-cyclone-open-collab-meezerpocalypse-haboob-remix

DToxico

Weren't "olde English" accents also determined to sound essentially like what is now associated with the American South?

(the) Razor

Quote from: DToxico on May 24, 2018, 11:40:58 AM
Weren't "olde English" accents also determined to sound essentially like what is now associated with the American South?

Thought that was a myth.
Don't click this

aeustin

Quote from: (the) Razor on May 25, 2018, 08:04:28 PM
Quote from: DToxico on May 24, 2018, 11:40:58 AM

Thought that was a myth.

Yeah I know the story but I don't feel like 'splainin' it all to you.

Look up rhotic English and how it changed over time.
Wake up to yourself before you die
The truth is hard but it's easy to lie

black stallion

Charmicarmicat:Bastards

amazonAMAZON

Ok, I stand by my statement about "y'all" the word, but now having heard the interview in its entirety there's something off-putting about the way the interviewer drops in and out of sounding professional, and the y'all is the most obnoxious of them. I get it now.

))))((((

Quote from: amazonAMAZON on May 26, 2018, 02:58:30 PM
Ok, I stand by my statement about "y'all" the word, but now having heard the interview in its entirety there's something off-putting about the way the interviewer drops in and out of sounding professional, and the y'all is the most obnoxious of them. I get it now.
Yep.

GrimReaper