Melvins song of the week.

Started by Mad Arab, March 03, 2012, 08:43:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JUDY

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on April 28, 2012, 07:32:07 PM
Real airy and spacious
... nice an' drunk sounding. Those bends are all slurring and stumbling.
Right on. Bootlicker is all around a weirdly-atmospheric-super-sexy album from start to finish.
The track is super slow and isn't afraid to take its time....

Quote from: Mount Ambulance on April 28, 2012, 07:32:07 PM
What's Buzz singin' bout ???

I ask myself that all the time. I came to the conclusion a while ago that he probably tears words out of newspapers, throws them into a hat and and randomly pulls them out to perfectly make sense with everything else that is going on.
Or not. Either way... I don't really care. The man sure knows how to write a song.

melvins lite "jew boy flower head" - detroit bar - costa mesa CA 7-12-11

homeless_dad

No one licks a boot like the melvins.  And nobody flowers the head of a young male non-gentile either.

Great song, great album!  I love the blunted pace of kevin's playing.  I actually feel like its a bit of a generic bass progression, but its the timing and delivery that melvinizes it and makes it completely original. 

The bootlicker and this song inparticular proves that a quieter melvins does not mean a less-intense melvins.  Melvins Lite will prove the same.  I'm really looking forward to it!
Is Ian back yet??

Idlehanz

Quote from: JUDY on April 28, 2012, 09:02:27 PM

Great video except for the fucking assholes talking throughout the song.  I have no bigger pet peeve than people going to shows to fucking talk throughout the whole thing.

pinkyslim

Quote from: Idlehanz on April 29, 2012, 12:42:11 AM
Quote from: JUDY on April 28, 2012, 09:02:27 PM

Great video except for the fucking assholes talking throughout the song.  I have no bigger pet peeve than people going to shows to fucking talk throughout the whole thing.

pet peeve I have is your lameness not to step up and do something about the problem.
too bad your not a board monitor in the outside world. :lol:
too bad you can't delete posts out there. :P
Idelhanz /mr. hall monitor 8)

(((O)))

Quote from: homeless_dad on April 28, 2012, 10:00:45 PM
The bootlicker and this song inparticular proves that a quieter melvins does not mean a less-intense melvins.
Definitely. Jew Boy is my favourite Bootlicker tune too. Long, slow and full of swingin' groove. If Freak Puke is up to this standard we have a winner on our hands!

Illusionator

Niiiice.

Threatening, sexy, calculated and calculating.  :D

Mad Arab

Sorry I slacked off. Life happens. So with that I am posting two Melvins songs of the week. The first one is quite possibly the best song they have done in recent years. Its an epic song that I think sums up what the team up of Melvins and Big Business can accomplish. Its from A Senile Animal.

Melvins - (A) Senile Animal - 03 - Civilized Worm

The second song of the week is from the early years of the Melvins. An excellent example of the true grunge sound before it was co-opted and exploited with overt pop gloss to make it more palatable for mass consumption. Its officially on Mangled Demos from 1983

Matt-Alec - Melvins

Mount Ambulance

Civilized Worm is in fact my least favorite song on ASA ... and the amount they played it live for a few years there made me fear it was gonna become "the staple" that "Let It All Be" had become. I'm glad this never actually happened.

ASA is my favorite record this line up has done ... and while Civilized isn't my least favorite song they've done ... it's certainly in the running.
It was a big night out on the town for the Id and the Reptile Brain ...

like a brick wall, like a dream waiting to be!

Uncle Fester

i feel this way too. asa has much more to offer.

Hortense

Melvins - Ozma - 04 - Let God Be Your Gardener

Makes me want to sharpen my butcher knife and cut up some meat :D

MrLuck87

I love A Civilized Worm.  Everything about it just has a "perfect" feel to it.

homeless_dad

Matt-Alec...wonder what the story is behind that name? 
I like the song.  A good early effort.  Like Civilized Worm I think there are better songs on both releases. 
Is Ian back yet??

homeless_dad

Quote from: Hortense on May 26, 2012, 07:55:54 PM

Melvins - Ozma - 04 - Let God Be Your Gardener

Makes me want to sharpen my butcher knife and cut up some meat :D
Now were talking.  One of the first song I had ever heard by 'em.  Learned the opening riff shortly there after.  Total killer song!
:x
Is Ian back yet??

The Bloated Pope

Quote from: MrLuck87 on May 26, 2012, 09:00:24 PM
I love A Civilized Worm.  Everything about it just has a "perfect" feel to it.
Me too !

It's even one of my favorites songs of the band, I especially love this live version :

Melvins

(((O)))

Quote from: The Bloated Pope on May 27, 2012, 01:13:11 AM
It's even one of my favorites songs of the band
It seems quite a few on here hold up Civilised Worm to be one of their best. I think it's a cool song of course but it never jumps out of (A)SA when im listening to it as one of the high points.