The Bride Screamed Murder

Started by blewis, March 08, 2010, 03:43:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

loadranpimp420

Quote from: anaconda on March 12, 2010, 09:51:14 AM
wow, this is what it's all come do? bashing the cover art? as we all know, art is
very subjective - some people's tastes do not mirror others. what one considers
a masterpiece, another considers a piece of garbage. since it's all about personal
taste, both are right. it's like comparing an El Greco to a Jean Dubuffet. Both are
great in their own way, and both made valid statements and works as great painters.

yes, you are correct. now let us never discuss our opinions ever again

ManWithNoName

I think he was being sarcastic. :P

I don't know why you people are bitching about the cover. I think it's great. I can't think of one Melvins cover art I didn't like.

anaconda

I know he was, I just wasn't going to play into that flippancy.

Re: the cover
I think it's great too. There's an air of immediacy about it.
It looks like it wasn't laboured over. Done and done.

the bloat

QuoteIt looks like it wasn't laboured over. Done and done.

My point exactly. This is why it totally sucks.

I'm trying to convey why cover art is important (to me) and this is what I came up with:

I know that many of you are angry over the way that Bullhead (or Ozma) was recorded. You feel like the drums are too quiet, or tinny (or whatever). You dream of a re-issue with proper levels, etc. That is important to you and affects how you feel about those records. When I listen to them. I don't care. I don't play drums or know anything about the recording process and I think Bullhead and / or Ozma fucking rocks.

For me, artwork is important. I do graphic design for a living. It is what I know. It is all I know. I always look forward to the new artwork and I respect what Mackie (or any skilled designer) comes up with. Their art concepts are an important part of the Melvins. They are, for the most part, an art or avante metal band, so their visual process is important. Not equal to their musical process, but cover art is still important. The new cover is embarrassing. The equivolent to a badly recorded album.

nickoctane

Quote from: the bloat on March 12, 2010, 11:36:27 AM
QuoteIt looks like it wasn't laboured over. Done and done.

My point exactly. This is why it totally sucks.

I'm trying to convey why cover art is important (to me) and this is what I came up with:

I know that many of you are angry over the way that Bullhead (or Ozma) was recorded. You feel like the drums are too quiet, or tinny (or whatever). You dream of a re-issue with proper levels, etc. That is important to you and affects how you feel about those records. When I listen to them. I don't care. I don't play drums or know anything about the recording process and I think Bullhead and / or Ozma fucking rocks.

For me, artwork is important. I do graphic design for a living. It is what I know. It is all I know. I always look forward to the new artwork and I respect what Mackie (or any skilled designer) comes up with. Their art concepts are an important part of the Melvins. They are, for the most part, an art or avante metal band, so their visual process is important. Not equal to their musical process, but cover art is still important. The new cover is embarrassing. The equivolent to a badly recorded album.
Great cover art is a BONUS, make or break an album it does not.

Dubwise Ministry Juan

Quote from: the bloat on March 12, 2010, 11:36:27 AM
For me, artwork is important. I do graphic design for a living. It is what I know. It is all I know.

Fair enough. Wait to you see the vinyl art for the album. That will knock your socks off.
I'm not sure if anyone's noticed yet but the child in the cover art is actually Buzzo when he was around 9yrs old.

Angus Khan

I think what it all boils down to is not so much opinion of art per se.  It's more people's disgust at what looks like 5 minutes work on Photoshop.  And this coming from a graphic designer is lazy no matter what way you look at it.  If they want camp horror flick style they could've taken ideas from Fantomas first two albums or many others.

Anyway I will be buying it and I will be enjoying it but I'd prefer if Mackie used some scissors,  glue, pencils and paper next time.
...and they all sing the same refrain: its fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins.

deatheats

Of course none of us have seen the completed artwork (is this the front or back),  what the cd looks like, or how the whole package will look together.
Sometimes a small screenshot looks a lot worse out of context (not that I think the cover looks bad in any way).

Uncle Fester

Quote from: molotov on March 12, 2010, 03:10:37 AM
Quote from: MrLuck87 on March 12, 2010, 01:27:42 AM
I really liked POTRE, NWB, and Houdini Live.  ASA was okay but I thought the scuba guy was out of place.  This new album cover I feel completely indifferent about.  I don't like it or hate it, it's just there.
What? POTRE's cover is a schlock. It's like 95% of the indie albums covers - it seems like it has a concept but it only seems. Even the simple white cover would be better than white cover with a smeared bloody shit on the right border.
Houdini Live is not bad, yeah.
ASA & NWB are bad.
i agree with you here molotov... but potre has  some amazing art on the inside, I know the cover isnt very special at all, but inside is fucking cool. has a nice pattern background with weird creatures with human bodies and animal heads. like the woman in the nice dress with a big parrot head... shit like that is cool and really weird. it looks great on vinyl at least... im not sure what cd version is like.

Angus Khan

Quote from: anaconda on March 12, 2010, 02:31:56 PM
I'm also a dedicated graphic designer with 15 years of experience and a full time
job as AD at a respected ad agency and i like the cover. what does that say then?

It says you're a good catch for any lady looking for a man with a good job who's in touch with his creative side. 
...and they all sing the same refrain: its fun to take a trip, put acid in your veins.

anaconda

ha! you quoted me just as I deleted my post. I just didn't want to get
into it anymore with other designers. it really isn't my thing to argue
aesthetics because they are always subjective and personal. btw,
i'm already taken. but thanks nonetheless.

glen

I'm glad people are hating on the cover art.   weed out the non-believers.
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN

the bloat

I can't remember in all my days as a Melvins board member, having this much debate over a Melvins album cover. Seems like "the Army" is divided, with most folks claiming indifference or that the cover is awesome. Only a few have come forward to admit that it is not up to snuff. The one thing we all agree on is that all art is subjective which is, of course, a fact.

This is definitely not Mackie's work, so I am eager to find out who designed it (probably some high school kid that won a contest)

I am excited to see the whole package. Can't wait for the music...

the bloat

QuoteI'm glad people are hating on the cover art.   weed out the non-believers.

You'd eat a turd if the Melvins told you to.

glen

Quote from: the bloat on March 12, 2010, 02:54:08 PM
QuoteI'm glad people are hating on the cover art.   weed out the non-believers.

You'd eat a turd if the Melvins told you to.

not true.
but I would buy a turd if MELVINS sold it.
:shock:
"Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care." - Richie Goodtimes

Glen. You can totally go fuck yourself. I have no idea who you are and I really don't care.
(signed) MAYNARD  JAMES  KEENAN